Old 23-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Registered User

Default Cordyline problem

I have a green Cordyline in a large clay plant pot. Up until the last few days it was looking great. Now the leaves are turning yellow and slightly mottled. The plant must be around three years old and I have not had any problems with it before. I gave it a feed of Multigrow a couple of weeks ago.

Can anybody tell me what could be the problem?
Old 23-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintama View Post
I have a green Cordyline in a large clay plant pot. Up until the last few days it was looking great. Now the leaves are turning yellow and slightly mottled. The plant must be around three years old and I have not had any problems with it before. I gave it a feed of Multigrow a couple of weeks ago.

Can anybody tell me what could be the problem?
. Hi, Lintama, I grow lots of Cordyline australis, if you get this problem (a type of rust) spray with Dithane 924 and this will clear it up. Professional growers of cordylines use this as a routine spray to keep the plants green and healthy. Just a little tip when using Dithane powder (which is notoriously difficult to mix ) use a coffee jar with an inch of water in it , tip the powder in, put the top on and then shake vigorously to mix, then pour into sprayer.
best of luck lannerman.
Old 24-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Registered User

OK Thank you Lannerman. I had a friend tell me it could be lack of nitrogen. Could this be the problem instead? I am not saying you are wrong of course, just trying out possibilities.
Old 25-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.
Talking

[quote=Lintama;846738]OK Thank you Lannerman. I had a friend tell me it could be lack of nitrogen. Could this be the problem instead? I am not saying you are wrong of course, just trying out possibilities.

Hi, Lintama, Lack of nitrogen will not give you the 'mottled' effect you discribed just an overall yellowing, but I thought you said you had fed them?
Try the dithane anyway as I'm sure this will clear the problem, and it will not do any harm to give them a liquid feed again as they are quite hungry.
best wishes lannerman.
Old 26-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Registered User

[quote=lannerman;847152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintama View Post
OK Thank you Lannerman. I had a friend tell me it could be lack of nitrogen. Could this be the problem instead? I am not saying you are wrong of course, just trying out possibilities.

Hi, Lintama, Lack of nitrogen will not give you the 'mottled' effect you discribed just an overall yellowing, but I thought you said you had fed them?
Try the dithane anyway as I'm sure this will clear the problem, and it will not do any harm to give them a liquid feed again as they are quite hungry.
best wishes lannerman.
Hi Lannerman,
Yesterday I gave the plant some bone meal and watered it in. Perhaps it would be best to transfer the plant into the ground where it will get more nutrient.
I gave it some Multi-Grow a couple of weeks ago but perhaps one application wasn't enough for it.

I will get some of the Dithane as you mentioned and see if it helps.

Will I need to remove all the yellowish leaves?

Thank you again.
Lintama

Old 26-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.
Talking

[quote=Lintama;847201]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post

Hi Lannerman,
Yesterday I gave the plant some bone meal and watered it in. Perhaps it would be best to transfer the plant into the ground where it will get more nutrient.
I gave it some Multi-Grow a couple of weeks ago but perhaps one application wasn't enough for it.

I will get some of the Dithane as you mentioned and see if it helps.

Will I need to remove all the yellowish leaves?

Thank you again.
Lintama
Hi Lintama, Bonemeal is OK but will not give very much nitrogen, I would feed with 'miracle grow' and as well as feeding the soil, also feed the leaves but do this in the evening when the sun is not on the plant, this will folia feed it and will naturally green up the leaves. The lower leaves on a Cordyline will go from yellow to brown as they die off as the trunk is formed, this is a natural process and the lower leaves should only be removed if they come away from the plant easily as if they are forcible removed before they are ready you could dammage the trunk. How big is this 'palm' and where abouts do you live as thiswill have a bearing!
Best wishes lannerman
Old 27-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Registered User

OK Lannerman, will give some more of the Miracle Grow but should I wait a week or so after putting in the bone meal? I am worried that I may overdo it!

I think the plant must be three to four feet above compost level and that is to the tip of the plant. The pot is big enough for now but I am thinking towards repotting it in the autumn. I can email a photo to you or others if it will help.
Old 28-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Registered User

I meant to say that I live near Debenham in Suffolk. There is not a lot of rain here. The plant is in full sun in a very large pot. I do give it a fair amount of watering in the dry weather.
Old 29-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintama View Post
I meant to say that I live near Debenham in Suffolk. There is not a lot of rain here. The plant is in full sun in a very large pot. I do give it a fair amount of watering in the dry weather.
Hi, Lintama, I don't think that you will over do it if you give it some 'miracle grow' as well as the bone meal, especially at this time of year, I always advise my customers to feed until the end of July, then no more , to give the plants chance to toughen up a bit before the winter, but this winter even that would not have helped, as down here in West Cornwall we had the coldest spell for about 24 years with temperature down to -12 C and even -15 C near Penzance where it did an enormous amount of dammage. It will obviously do a lot better in the open ground, because the pot, no matter how big will have a 'bonsai' effect on the plant, but if you feed every couple of weeks until the end of July and give one or two doses of Dithane 924 per season it should thrive (and eventually flower)
Best wishes lannerman
Old 30-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Registered User

Hi Lannerman,

Thank you the sound advice. I have today given the plant some Multi-grow and yesterday I used the Dithane 945. Couldn't find Dithane 924. I am not so sure that the problem is rust although I will just have to wait and see what happens. I have seen rust on my hollyhocks and it doesn't look the same.

Sorry to hear about the cold Winter having a terrible effect on the plants down in Cornwall. I would have not expected such a low temperature there of all places in the UK.

Old 30-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintama View Post
Hi Lannerman,

Thank you the sound advice. I have today given the plant some Multi-grow and yesterday I used the Dithane 945. Couldn't find Dithane 924. I am not so sure that the problem is rust although I will just have to wait and see what happens. I have seen rust on my hollyhocks and it doesn't look the same.

Sorry to hear about the cold Winter having a terrible effect on the plants down in Cornwall. I would have not expected such a low temperature there of all places in the UK.

Oops!! I meant to say Miracle-grow not Multi-grow. Senior moment

cordyline problem suffolk Garden Photos 2 06-07-2010 04:19 PM
Cordyline Australis Problem cherryredcutie United Kingdom 11 13-04-2010 05:17 PM
Cordyline problem? Sandy United Kingdom 4 03-07-2008 10:46 PM
Cordyline problem Steve United Kingdom 6 10-05-2005 11:29 PM
Cordyline Chris Stewart United Kingdom 4 17-11-2002 11:28 PM