Old 24-05-2009, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Azalea

Could anyone identify this one for me please. This is the first year
it has actually bloomed like this, previous years have been just one
or two flowers? I can't remember where I bought it.
http://i39.tinypic.com/25zhwnl.jpg
Judith
Old 24-05-2009, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 24, 6:24*pm, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 03:40:10 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
Could anyone identify this one for me please. *This is the first year
it has actually bloomed like this, previous years have been just one
or two flowers? *I can't remember where I bought it.
http://i39.tinypic.com/25zhwnl.jpg
Judith

Looks like a Knap Hill or Exbury hybrid, especially the latter and
possibly 'Gibraltar': "flowers late May, big flowers with ruffled
edges, deep orange flushed with red, compact".

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Thanks Chris, I will Google on all 3 to see which fits mine.

Judith
Old 25-05-2009, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 25, 7:53*am, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:17:26 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
Could anyone identify this one for me please. *This is the first year
it has actually bloomed like this, previous years have been just one
or two flowers? *I can't remember where I bought it.
http://i39.tinypic.com/25zhwnl.jpg
Judith

Looks like a Knap Hill or Exbury hybrid, especially the latter and
possibly 'Gibraltar': "flowers late May, big flowers with ruffled
edges, deep orange flushed with red, compact".

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Thanks Chris, I will Google on all 3 to see which fits mine.

Judith

I should also have said that both the Knap Hill and Exbury hybrids
include quite a range of colours, and both types are deciduous. The
former were developed early in the last century by Anthony Waterer at
his Knap Hill nursery in Surrey, and they were further developed by
Lionel de Rothschild at his Exbury estate, I think in the 1920's. If
you don't find a match there, try looking for Ghent hybrids,
originally developed in Belgium and Holland in the early to mid
1800's.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Mine is also deciduous Chris, I didn't get a chance last night to
Goggle. I'll let you know what I find, thank you.

Judith

Backyard Azalea 3Putt in Coastal SC Garden Photos 0 01-04-2009 01:24 AM
azalea papanix United Kingdom 6 19-11-2003 11:22 AM
[IBC] azalea Art Krummel Bonsai 0 15-02-2003 05:51 PM
azalea questions Tanya Gardening 6 11-02-2003 05:55 PM
[IBC] azalea basics Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 05:26 AM