Old 02-06-2009, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
reg reg is offline

Default Bean problem-help required

can some kind person have a look at my beans & tell whats wrong !!! they
were fine this morning, just got in from work & they are limp, id say dead,
its my first time growing anything (

http://tinypic.com/r/2ivohz6/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2v3ikuh/5

Ive had problems with slugs & snails over the past week so i begrudginly
put some slug pellets down last night, would this be the cause ?

many thanks for any help.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 2, 7:10*pm, "reg" wrote:

Smacked wrist for anybody who says they are has-beens. I looks as
though you may have been a little over generous with the slug pellets
and whatever else you have sprinkled around (fertiliser?).
Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
reg reg is offline

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jun 2, 7:10 pm, "reg" wrote:

Smacked wrist for anybody who says they are has-beens. I looks as
though you may have been a little over generous with the slug pellets
and whatever else you have sprinkled around (fertiliser?).

no fertiliser just grow bag contents, can slug pellets cause this, i had a
read on the container just said keep away from kids & pets !

Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:40:04 +0100, "reg" wrote:

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jun 2, 7:10 pm, "reg" wrote:

Smacked wrist for anybody who says they are has-beens. I looks as
though you may have been a little over generous with the slug pellets
and whatever else you have sprinkled around (fertiliser?).

no fertiliser just grow bag contents, can slug pellets cause this, i had a
read on the container just said keep away from kids & pets !

The odd thing is that it looks like slug or snail damage, even though
you have given them a massive dose of pellets.
Could the pests have climbed up the fence at the back and bypassed the
pellets? Make sure the plants are not touching the wood.
The slug pellets won't have caused it themselves, but you shouldn't
use so many at once. The metaldehyde will soak into the soil and be
taken up by the plants, so you will end up eating it in the beans.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
reg reg is offline

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jun 2, 7:10 pm, "reg" wrote:

Smacked wrist for anybody who says they are has-beens. I looks as
though you may have been a little over generous with the slug pellets
and whatever else you have sprinkled around (fertiliser?).

no fertiliser just grow bag contents, can slug pellets cause this, i had a
read on the container just said keep away from kids & pets !

The odd thing is that it looks like slug or snail damage, even though
you have given them a massive dose of pellets.
Could the pests have climbed up the fence at the back and bypassed the
pellets? Make sure the plants are not touching the wood.

oh didnt think they were that intelligent.

The slug pellets won't have caused it themselves, but you shouldn't
use so many at once. The metaldehyde will soak into the soil and be
taken up by the plants, so you will end up eating it in the beans.

many thanks for that tip, never crossed my mind that the plants would absorb
the pellets !!!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 21:49:56 +0100, "reg" wrote:

.. .

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jun 2, 7:10 pm, "reg" wrote:

Smacked wrist for anybody who says they are has-beens. I looks as
though you may have been a little over generous with the slug pellets
and whatever else you have sprinkled around (fertiliser?).

no fertiliser just grow bag contents, can slug pellets cause this, i had a
read on the container just said keep away from kids & pets !

The odd thing is that it looks like slug or snail damage, even though
you have given them a massive dose of pellets.
Could the pests have climbed up the fence at the back and bypassed the
pellets? Make sure the plants are not touching the wood.

oh didnt think they were that intelligent.

They are not being intelligent in avoiding the pellets, they are just
finding that the wood is an easy way to get up to the nice juicy
leaves.

The slug pellets won't have caused it themselves, but you shouldn't
use so many at once. The metaldehyde will soak into the soil and be
taken up by the plants, so you will end up eating it in the beans.

many thanks for that tip, never crossed my mind that the plants would absorb
the pellets !!!

The chemical will dissolve in the water and be taken up by the roots
along with the nutrients.
You only need half a dozen pellets around the edges of the tray. Just
replace them when they have washed away.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jun 2, 7:10 pm, "reg" wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't have put the pellets in that container anyway, put them on the
ground outside it to attract the S&S away from the beans, not towards them.

Also as mog said, far too many pellets. 1 every six inches is enough.

Steve

Old 03-06-2009, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:10:51 +0100, "reg" wrote:

can some kind person have a look at my beans & tell whats wrong !!! they
were fine this morning, just got in from work & they are limp, id say dead,
its my first time growing anything (

http://tinypic.com/r/2ivohz6/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2v3ikuh/5

Ive had problems with slugs & snails over the past week so i begrudginly
put some slug pellets down last night, would this be the cause ?

many thanks for any help.

It looks like scorch to me. Are they in hot sun?

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-06-2009, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
reg reg is offline

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jun 2, 7:10 pm, "reg" wrote:

[...]

my daughter wont let me as we have a house rabbit which we let roam in the
garden.

Also as mog said, far too many pellets. 1 every six inches is enough.

Steve

many thanks for you help Steve & everyone else, ive removed the dead one &
taken all the pellets out. Bit of a learning curve this growing lark.
I must be getting addicted as the first thing i do when i get home from work
is check up on my beans, tommys & strawberries, then check up on the wife &
kids )