Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery garden pest

Anyone recognise these symptoms? Lots of very small holes in leaves
close to the ground, not much larger than pin-pricks. The plants always
worst affected a Turnip, radish, black-radish.

The roots also end up with lots of little holes in them too - is it the
same pest? I can usually get away with growing some very early turnips
but any planted late Spring or Summer are always riddled with tiny holes
in the root.

I've recently planted out some garden cress that I'd started off in seed
trays and the leaves on that too are now peppered with tiny holes.

I've given up trying to grow radish in the garden and just grow them in
seed trays with bought in multi-purpose compost on a garden table! Seem
to be pest free like that.

Anyone know the culprit? Is there a cure? I can post photo's if it would
help.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
Anyone recognise these symptoms? Lots of very small holes in leaves
close to the ground, not much larger than pin-pricks. The plants always
worst affected a Turnip, radish, black-radish.

Anyone know the culprit? Is there a cure? I can post photo's if it would
help.

Flea beetle. Dunno. It's very weather-dependent.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 5, 9:45*am, David in Normandy
wrote:

Anyone know the culprit? Is there a cure? I can post photo's if it would
help.

It is probably the Sarkozee Slug - always worming his way in where he
is not wanted attacking anything British - but only in a very small
way! Unfortunately we do know what he looks like. Personally I would
rather look at the female of the species.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote
after David in Normandy wrote:
Anyone recognise these symptoms? Lots of very small holes in leaves
close to the ground, not much larger than pin-pricks. The plants always
worst affected a Turnip, radish, black-radish.

Anyone know the culprit? Is there a cure? I can post photo's if it would
help.

Flea beetle. Dunno. It's very weather-dependent.

Quite agree, have found Derris dust gives some protection.
They will disappear for a short while sometime during the summer and then
reappear. Always a problem on brassica seedlings which is why I always
germinate/grow mine in Rootrainers and transplant. Gave up with Radish.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-06-2009, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
Nick wrote
after David in Normandy wrote:
Anyone recognise these symptoms? Lots of very small holes in leaves
close to the ground, not much larger than pin-pricks. The plants always
worst affected a Turnip, radish, black-radish.

Anyone know the culprit? Is there a cure? I can post photo's if it would
help.

Flea beetle. Dunno. It's very weather-dependent.

Quite agree, have found Derris dust gives some protection.
They will disappear for a short while sometime during the summer and then
reappear. Always a problem on brassica seedlings which is why I always
germinate/grow mine in Rootrainers and transplant. Gave up with Radish.

I'm not keen on using pesticides, with the exception of a few slug
pellets now and then. Looks like I've got to learn to live with them.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 5 June, 17:52, David in Normandy
wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.- Hide quoted text -

Try this site foe a possible way of dealing with the little pests
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...s-flea-beetle/

David Hill
Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:

Try this site foe a possible way of dealing with the little pests
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...s-flea-beetle/

David Hill

Thanks. Looks worth a try.