Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Watering - Can I connect a hose to a washing machine water supply?

I would like to connect a hose to my washing machine inlet pipe, but I'd
like to keep my washing machine connected! Is there such a thing as a Y
connector with valve switches that has female threaded ends? I've seen
them with hose connector ends, and with screwed ends but no valve
switches (for connecting a dishwasher and a washing machine to the same
inlet)

I did see a cheap and nasty looking one on ebay but I would like one
that won't flood my kitchen out when it breaks!

Has anyone any ideas? I can't connect a hose to my kitchen tap, it seems
wasteful to connect a hose to my spare hot water inlet (that my washing
machine doesn't use) and I can't afford an outside tap.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gribela wrote:

I can't afford an outside tap.

The way you describe things you can't water the garden whilst the washing
machine is on. Probably no biggie but something to think about, maybe
you wish to do a washing whilst pottering in the garden. So maybe a tap
is the way to go.

Fitting an external tap is not really hard (especially if you don't flaff
about with pipes elbows joins etc just use a piece of hose) and this kit
is "only" £12.22. If drilling through the wall seems too difficult ask a
"handy" neighbour to do it, with there 12 mm masonry bit on a drill (SDS
prefered but an ordinary hammer drill should work). If the wall is not
"Harled" try to go through a mortar joint, as mortar is a LOT easier to
drill than brick.

http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/produ...roductId=10101

Maybe to avoid all the faffing with drilling the wall you could fit a tap
directly to the main cold running to your kitchen sink and running a hose
[1] from that.

How to fit a self-cutting tap:-
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ho...utting_tap.htm

This makes it seem complicated but it is a five minute job

[1] Draped out the window?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rudolph Hucker wrote:

Fitting an external tap is not really hard

One comment I would add is to ensure the pipe is well insulated. Our
outside tap here in Normandy is a copper pipe out of the ground up the
side of the wall. It has two layers of pipe insulation wrapped around
it. It survived the harsh Winter we had here without problem. A similar
outside tap in England burst its pipe during a mild Winter due to lack
of lagging.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:

Rudolph Hucker wrote:

Fitting an external tap is not really hard

One comment I would add is to ensure the pipe is well insulated. Our
outside tap here in Normandy is a copper pipe out of the ground up the
side of the wall. It has two layers of pipe insulation wrapped around
it. It survived the harsh Winter we had here without problem. A similar
outside tap in England burst its pipe during a mild Winter due to lack
of lagging.

In the winter we turn off the water at the tap inside, then three-
quarters open the external tap that way any water freezing is not
confined within the pipework also as the tap is connected by hose not by
"inflexible" copper pipe so any freezing that does occur in the
connection will just expand the hose rather than bursting any copper pipe.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rudolph Hucker wrote:

In the winter we turn off the water at the tap inside...

Sounds like a good idea having a separate tap indoors to isolate the
outside supply. Unfortunately ours here is off the water-main outside
just after the water meter / primary stop tap. So if the outside tap /
pipe bursts it would mean turning off the main stop tap and no water at
all to the house until the leak was fixed. Not good planning by whoever
plumbed it.