Old 08-07-2004, 04:02 AM
pantuvarali

Default Is any one using washing machine water for growing plants?

We use lots and lots of water to wash cloths- Pay for using the water and
disposing it. Due to the high price of water in BUTLER COUNTY (OHIO), I am
thinking why not use this water to drain out into flower beds.
Has any one done this? Any precautions to be taken? Do I need to 'filter'
the water?

Old 08-07-2004, 05:02 AM
madgardener

I have gray water going into my woods. I have planted canna's just below the
outlet where the pipe is. They are HUGE. 'nuff said?
madgardener

Old 08-07-2004, 03:02 PM
redclay

pantuvarali wrote in message
We use lots and lots of water to wash cloths- Pay for using the water and
disposing it. Due to the high price of water in BUTLER COUNTY (OHIO), I am
thinking why not use this water to drain out into flower beds.
Has any one done this? Any precautions to be taken? Do I need to 'filter'
the water?

Redirecting the discharge of the washing machine can be good for plants that
like alkaline conditions. Remember the washing machine also cleans out our
pipes so once in a while use it to flush your sewer lines.

Old 08-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Vox Humana

"madgardener" wrote in message
I have gray water going into my woods. I have planted canna's just below

the
outlet where the pipe is. They are HUGE. 'nuff said?
madgardener

Do you regular detergent and liquid fabric softener? How do you deal with
loads that use hot water and chlorine bleach?

Old 08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
starlord

In some of the places I've lived I've used the gray water to not only water
my flower beds, but even my lawns and no matter what I had in the water, it
gets so deluted between the two cycles that it didn't bother anything. And
as that one user says, her canna ( what color? get seeds? ) love the water.

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

"madgardener" wrote in message
I have gray water going into my woods. I have planted canna's just below

the
outlet where the pipe is. They are HUGE. 'nuff said?
madgardener

Do you regular detergent and liquid fabric softener? How do you deal with
loads that use hot water and chlorine bleach?

---

Old 08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
pantuvarali

Dear MG:
What zone do you live in? Do you have to dig out those cannas every fall?
PV

Old 09-07-2004, 02:02 AM
madgardener

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

"madgardener" wrote in message
I have gray water going into my woods. I have planted canna's just below

the
outlet where the pipe is. They are HUGE. 'nuff said?
madgardener

Do you regular detergent and liquid fabric softener?

liquid concentrated stuff I get at Sams, and yes, whatever gallon of
softener they have cheaper. no water softener, I have well water. and my
kitchen sink also empties out this same pipe, and if I were to shower in the
teensy weensy shower downstairs for apparently the tiny little woman who
originally lived here, that would go out the pipe too, and the utility sink
water. but just the kitchen sink and washer.
How do you deal with
loads that use hot water and chlorine bleach?

doesn't seem to affect the plants that I know of. The canna's seem to adore
cleaning this sludge and stuff up. It doesn't stink like you would think.
It's just mucky and boggy. And since my kitchen sink empties there too, I
tend to mush up the stuff and hot water it down the drain. I don't use drain
cleaner, but if I do grease, I cut it with Dawn first and that breaks it up
to rinse down the pipes and outside. So far, so good..........my next
experiment will be the Cardinal flower I got today in the trash at work. It
adores boggy places.......will let you know if it thrives.
maddie

Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 AM
madgardener

"starlord" wrote in message
In some of the places I've lived I've used the gray water to not only

water
my flower beds, but even my lawns and no matter what I had in the water,

it
gets so deluted between the two cycles that it didn't bother anything. And
as that one user says, her canna ( what color? get seeds? ) love the

water.

Old fashioned Indian shot canna (green leaves, gets up to 15 foot high with
red flowers, seeds are hard enough to be fired outa a muzzle loader rifle.,
which they did back in the Civil war days) and Bengal Tiger or Praetoria
that has adjusted to my zone. Alas the Tropicanna Canna said screw you this
winter and never returned but provided some nice humusy remains to feed my
two large babies. Holler at me and I'll send you current pictures.......I'm
tempted to plant another hardy canna there just for contrast. A dark leaf
variety that has a red flower.............digging in that muck is
interesting. And I dig canna's double shovel deep.
maddie (if I get seeds, I'll holler)

Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 AM
madgardener

"pantuvarali" wrote in message
.. .
Dear MG:
What zone do you live in? Do you have to dig out those cannas every fall?
PV

zone 7, Eastern Tennessee, you see lots of varieties of canna's around here
that are left in the clay soil. planted even around mailboxes. and nope,
but I did lose the Tropicanna I put in with the big boys........I'm trying
another kind that has a dark purplish red leaf named Futility? Futurity? red
flowers, AWESOME visual.
maddie

Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Vox Humana

"starlord" wrote in message
[...]

I had a lot of that canna at one time, but I left them in the ground and
they didin't survive. They are increadible growers. If you are looking for
a nice red one with dark leaves, I would recommend Black Knight. Mine just
started to bloom this week. Here is link to a pictu
http://www.cannas.net/shop/product_i...kn ightlr.JPG

Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Vox Humana

"madgardener" wrote in message

"pantuvarali" wrote in message
.. .
Dear MG:
What zone do you live in? Do you have to dig out those cannas every

fall?
PV

zone 7, Eastern Tennessee, you see lots of varieties of canna's around

here
that are left in the clay soil. planted even around mailboxes. and nope,
but I did lose the Tropicanna I put in with the big boys........I'm trying
another kind that has a dark purplish red leaf named Futility? Futurity?

red
flowers, AWESOME visual.
maddie

I have seen acres of cannas planted in the medians of freeways in Eastern
Tennessee.

Old 09-07-2004, 11:02 AM
madgardener

I think mine is red Futurity............look on
alt.bianaries.pictures.gardens for the pic of it. the website says plant
them three inches........my dad taught me to plant them two shovels deep.
That'd be around 20 or more inches.......wow. what a difference, eh? I
think the Tropicana just froze. Given a really cold winter with long bouts
of freezing, I'd possibly lose my Bengal Tigers and possibly my dad's old
green Indian shot (I hope not, I brought it 13 years ago from my childhood
home)
madgardener

Old 09-07-2004, 11:02 AM
madgardener

I have seen acres of cannas planted in the medians of freeways in Eastern
Tennessee.

yes you have...................

maddie

Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Vox Humana

"madgardener" wrote in message
I think mine is red Futurity............look on
alt.bianaries.pictures.gardens for the pic of it. the website says plant
them three inches........my dad taught me to plant them two shovels deep.
That'd be around 20 or more inches.......wow. what a difference, eh? I
think the Tropicana just froze. Given a really cold winter with long

bouts
of freezing, I'd possibly lose my Bengal Tigers and possibly my dad's old
green Indian shot (I hope not, I brought it 13 years ago from my childhood
home)
madgardener

I had yellow futurity and it grew like crazy, multiplying four-fold in a
year. I dug them but failed to get them out of the garage before a very
early cold snap occurred and killed them.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:03 PM
starlord

Hay, got a deal for you, if you tell me you'll save the seeds for me this
summer, and send me your address is personal e-mail, I'll send you a start
of the Omega canna I sell.