Old 12-06-2009, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhodo dendrons pruning?

Hi all

I wonder of I can prune a large Rhodo. There were not many flowers on
it this year and I would like to cut it back to let some sunlight into
the garden.

--
Evelyn

www.ushad.co.uk
My aim in life is to be as good as my dogs think I am.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Chris,

I was not in this group then only joined this week.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Evelyn Usher writes

I was not in this group then only joined this week.

I know you're new and getting used to things, so a couple of pieces of
advice to help you get more answers than you might otherwise get.

If you look at other people's posts, you will see that people leave in
just enough of the post they're replying to to allow other people to
make sense of their posts. For example, I've just had to go back to my
newsreader's list of titles of posts and re-open Chris's post to get the
context of your post. If you'd included Chris's comment "There was a
thread on pruning rhodos a couple of weeks ago, entitled 'Too late to
prune a rhododendron', started on 31/05/09" I'd have known immediately
what you were talking about!

If you go on to Google, and select 'more' from the menu at the top, you
will see a drop down menu with the item 'groups'. Click on this, enter
uk.rec.gardening in the box, and you now have access to Google's
archive. You can then search within the group on any topic you want.
It's well worth doing, because if you ask a question that has only
recently been dealt with, or one that has come up dozens of times, some
of the people who gave helpful replies the first time around may not
have the time or inclination to reply on the same topic so soon
afterwards - so searching first may give you more information than you'd
get by asking on the group.

--
Kay
Old 13-06-2009, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the advice Kay

I will try to take in all you have said and put it into practice.

Old 13-06-2009, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Chris,

Then I will light prune but be careful what I do

Old 14-06-2009, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Chris Hogg writes
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:15:03 +0100, K wrote:

sniped stuff on posting etiquette

If you go on to Google, and select 'more' from the menu at the top, you
will see a drop down menu with the item 'groups'. Click on this, enter
uk.rec.gardening in the box, and you now have access to Google's
archive. You can then search within the group on any topic you want.
It's well worth doing, because if you ask a question that has only
recently been dealt with, or one that has come up dozens of times, some
of the people who gave helpful replies the first time around may not
have the time or inclination to reply on the same topic so soon
afterwards - so searching first may give you more information than you'd
get by asking on the group.

I've used Google Groups quite regularly in the past, usually the
usually returns what I'm looking for immediately with very few false
hits. But I just tried to pick up the thread on rhododendron pruning
so that I could direct Evelyn to it, and it doesn't seem to be
working, at least, not for me. In fact I can't pick up anything from
uk.rec.gardening, not my own posts, nor anyone else's for that matter.
I've tried it all ways but no response. I see the format has changed a
bit, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong, if anything. Is it actually
working, do you know?

It was yesterday
--
Kay

beech hedge and rhodo ponticum SusieThompson United Kingdom 6 21-12-2011 08:05 PM
Ailing Chinoides Rhodo Jenny Gardening 5 24-05-2004 11:03 AM
Rhodo no-go IanW United Kingdom 2 23-04-2004 07:12 PM
Brown Spot(s) on Rhodo. Twobtold Gardening 5 19-04-2004 04:02 AM
Prune PJM Rhodo Shrek Gardening 2 21-05-2003 01:56 AM