Old 17-06-2009, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default snails

The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the usual tricks
to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they don't like, I am
thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

kate

Old 17-06-2009, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the usual
tricks to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they don't like, I
am thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

kate

Copper wire round the rim

Mike

Old 17-06-2009, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the usual
tricks to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they don't like, I
am thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

kate

Copper wire round the rim

Mike

big troughs and not enough copper wire I have however just googled the
query and found lots of info on there, some works and some does not

kate

Old 17-06-2009, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan wrote:

I am thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

The problem is they will get eaten by plastic snails!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 17-06-2009, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in Normandy
writes
Kate Morgan wrote:

I am thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

The problem is they will get eaten by plastic snails!

G You are beginning to sound like the song about L S Lowry's
matchstick men
--
June Hughes

Old 17-06-2009, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-17 13:38:35 +0100, "Kate Morgan" said:

The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the usual
tricks to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they don't like,
I am thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

kate

A squirt of WD40 round the base of the pot and up it a little (to be
renewed after rain) and I'm told that vaseline helps if spread around
the pots just a little up from the base.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 17-06-2009, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 17, 1:38*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the usual tricks
to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they don't like, I am
thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

No wish to appear callous, but I find snails have an aversion to being
stamped on. Would you care to hire one of my younger grandsons for a
weekend?
Old 17-06-2009, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-17 17:23:27 +0100, moghouse said:

On Jun 17, 1:38*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the usual tric

ks
to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they don't like, I am
thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

No wish to appear callous, but I find snails have an aversion to being
stamped on. Would you care to hire one of my younger grandsons for a
weekend?

What's the going rate per snail?

Old 17-06-2009, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the usual
tric

ks
to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they don't like, I am
thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

No wish to appear callous, but I find snails have an aversion to being
stamped on. Would you care to hire one of my younger grandsons for a
weekend?

What's the going rate per snail?
--

LOL I like that :-)

The troughs are wrought iron jobs and heavy but I took one down off the wall
and there were lots of weeny little snails all warn and dry there on the
wall and in the liner.

kate

Old 17-06-2009, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
On Jun 17, 1:38 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the usual
tricks to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they don't
like, I am thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

No wish to appear callous, but I find snails have an aversion to being
stamped on. Would you care to hire one of my younger grandsons for a
weekend?

Nah, you want my lad with a salt seller..........fizzy snails
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 17-06-2009, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-17 19:37:54 +0100, "Kate Morgan" said:

The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the usual tric
ks
to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they don't like, I am
thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

No wish to appear callous, but I find snails have an aversion to being
stamped on. Would you care to hire one of my younger grandsons for a
weekend?

What's the going rate per snail?
--

LOL I like that :-)

The troughs are wrought iron jobs and heavy but I took one down off the
wall and there were lots of weeny little snails all warn and dry there
on the wall and in the liner.

kate

Ah yes, they do like their winter quarters! We have a Muehlenbeckia
growing up the house wall and from inside the house we can see snails
snugly tucked up behind it!

Old 17-06-2009, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the usual
tricks to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they don't like, I
am thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

kate

I'm very lucky this year. Perhaps a combination of the cold snap earlier in
the year and the attention to pest-control duties paid by the hens, but I've
got very few this year. This evening's night time slug hunt by torchlight
revealed 2 tiny slugs and 1 tiny snail. Or perhaps the blighters just knew I
was coming and hid

Old 17-06-2009, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the usual
tricks to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they don't like, I
am thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

kate

I'm very lucky this year. Perhaps a combination of the cold snap earlier
in the year and the attention to pest-control duties paid by the hens, but
I've got very few this year. This evening's night time slug hunt by
torchlight revealed 2 tiny slugs and 1 tiny snail. Or perhaps the
blighters just knew I was coming and hid

I have never had so many as this year but most are concentrated in one
area, tonight I looked and they were all crawling around on the wall, all
tiny ones, I don't know, goes off to bed scratching head

kate

Old 17-06-2009, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 17, 6:19*pm, Sacha wrote:

No wish to appear callous, but I find snails have an aversion to being
stamped on. Would you care to hire one of my younger grandsons for a
weekend?

What's the going rate per snail?

Well 3xGreat Grandfather Zachariah, the molecatcher used to charge 6d
a mole. That was back in the early 1800s. At today's rates that would
be.... err...ummm....very expensive! But then there is the retainer to
be negotiated and the cost of disposing of slimy squashed bodies less
the income derived from the sale of shells to the jewellery trade.
Then there are the fees for the accountant and the tax estimator. On
second thoughts you would be better off with a packet of slug pellets!
Old 18-06-2009, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-17 17:23:27 +0100, moghouse
said:
On Jun 17, 1:38 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
The contents of 4 troughs have been gobbled up despite all the
usual tric ks to keep the snails off. Is there anything that they
don't like, I am thinking of using plastic flowers :-)

No wish to appear callous, but I find snails have an aversion to
being stamped on. Would you care to hire one of my younger grandsons
for a weekend?

What's the going rate per snail?

lol trust you to ask!