Old 18-06-2009, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Escallonia Qs

Hi all

I have a row of plants between ours an neighbours front drives.
These are Escallonia alternating with viburnum (Eve Price IIRC).
Not sure on the variety of the Escallonia, but we have three the same and
one different.
The three have lighter pink flowers, more compact growth and are generally
"daintier".
The one nearest the garage has darker pink flowers and a more open stalky
growth habit.
Not sure if this is enough info to identify, but I was wondering whether it
would be possible to train/prune/direct the variety near the garage over an
arch - comments anyone?

TIA

Phil

Old 18-06-2009, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

I have a row of plants between ours an neighbours front drives.
These are Escallonia alternating with viburnum (Eve Price IIRC).
Not sure on the variety of the Escallonia, but we have three the same and
one different.
The three have lighter pink flowers, more compact growth and are generally
"daintier".
The one nearest the garage has darker pink flowers and a more open stalky
growth habit.
Not sure if this is enough info to identify, but I was wondering whether
it would be possible to train/prune/direct the variety near the garage
over an arch - comments anyone?

TIA

Phil

I don't know which one you have, but if it's putting on lengthy growth, I
don't see why you shouldn't try. If you want to test the theory, just put a
stake where the first post of the arch would be and tie in all growth that
is growing in the right direction; cut anything else back. That way, you
will see how the plant behaves and how work intensive it is. If you like
what you see, replace the stake with an arch. If you don't like it, you can
easily cut out the trained growth and revert to its old hedging shrub
format. That way, you've got nothing to lose.

Spider

Old 18-06-2009, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 18, 4:34*pm, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

I have a row of plants between ours an neighbours front drives.
These are Escallonia alternating with viburnum (Eve Price IIRC).
Not sure on the variety of the Escallonia, but we have three the same and
one different.
The three have lighter pink flowers, more compact growth and are generally
"daintier".

At a guess, these ones could be "Apple Blossom"