Old 19-06-2009, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pub quiz questions

My husband is compiling a quiz for his local pub and he has asked me for
some gardening questions, any questions and answers would be much
appreciated

kate

Old 19-06-2009, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
My husband is compiling a quiz for his local pub and he has asked me for
some gardening questions, any questions and answers would be much
appreciated

kate

http://www.paulsquiz.com/free_quiz_q...dening_Quiz_1/

Kind regards

Google is your friend

Mike

Old 19-06-2009, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"'Mike'" wrote in message

.
"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
My husband is compiling a quiz for his local pub and he has asked me for
some gardening questions, any questions and answers would be much
appreciated

kate

http://www.paulsquiz.com/free_quiz_q...dening_Quiz_1/

Kind regards

Google is your friend

Mike

or

http://www.paulsquiz.com/free_quiz_q..._Power_Quiz_1/

Mike

Old 19-06-2009, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-19 16:12:10 +0100, "Kate Morgan" said:

My husband is compiling a quiz for his local pub and he has asked me
for some gardening questions, any questions and answers would be much
appreciated

kate

He could put in a couple of plants' common names and ask what their
proper name is, or vice versa. And why was 'Capability' Brown so
called? Which architect was Gertrude Jekyll most closely associated
with? What charming - or not so charming - habit did Christopher Lloyd
have when visiting others' gardens (that should stump a few!) Which
way round a pole do runner beans twine? What is the name of Agatha
Christie's house and garden in Devon, newly open to the public?

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 19-06-2009, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Kate
Morgan writes
My husband is compiling a quiz for his local pub and he has asked me
for some gardening questions, any questions and answers would be much
appreciated

kate

By asking here you're likely to get questions none of the clientele can
answer. However ...

Q. Where does the Cuban Lily come from?
A. The western Mediterranean region.

(The scientific name Scilla peruviana results from Linnaeus confusing
the ship on which it was imported (the Peru) with the plant's origin. I
don't know how vernacular name originated, but it is also known as
Portuguese Squill.)

Q. What is a Lent Lily?
A. The common daffodil, Narcissus pseudonarcissus

(The name also applies to Lilium candidum.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 19-06-2009, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
My husband is compiling a quiz for his local pub and he has asked me for
some gardening questions, any questions and answers would be much
appreciated

How about
The plant Tropaolum Aduncum is named after a colour which is named after a
bird which is named after an island which is named after a dog. What's its
common name?

Answer
The Canary Flower

Old 20-06-2009, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-19 16:12:10 +0100, "Kate Morgan" said:

My husband is compiling a quiz for his local pub and he has asked me
for some gardening questions, any questions and answers would be much
appreciated
kate

He could put in a couple of plants' common names and ask what their
proper name is, or vice versa. And why was 'Capability' Brown so
called? Which architect was Gertrude Jekyll most closely associated
with? What charming - or not so charming - habit did Christopher Lloyd
have when visiting others' gardens (that should stump a few!) Which
way round a pole do runner beans twine? What is the name of Agatha
Christie's house and garden in Devon, newly open to the public?

I know the first two but what did Mr. Lloyd get up to in other people's
gardens - or is an answer in this forum liable to elicit a writ?
BTW am very grateful as the timing is most appropriate. I am in the
throes of helping to put together such a quiz.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 20-06-2009, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-19 16:12:10 +0100, "Kate Morgan" said:

[...]

As C. Lloyd is dead, I can't see any writs flying around and anyway, he
thought it was funny. Remember, he was an advocate of colour and lots
of it and the more clashier the better. He'd go round others' gardens
and where he found something to be too 'perfect' in taste, colour
harmony etc., he's surreptitiously drop handfuls of nasturtium seeds!
Picture the poor bewildered garden owner wondering what on earth has
happened to their 'white garden'!

Old 20-06-2009, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-19 16:12:10 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
said:

[...]

Thanks Sacha. I'm rather surprised. Bearing in mind his reputation I
thought the nasturtium trick rather tame; I would have anticipated a
much more dramatic gesture. After all, it would almost have been
expected of him, certainly in later years. I haven't visited Great
Dixter yet but I'm due to attend a funeral next week near Eastbourne - I
wonder if I would have time to visit Rye? Worth investigating.

Thank again, Sacha.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Deepest Dorset
Old 20-06-2009, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My husband is compiling a quiz for his local pub and he has asked me for
some gardening questions, any questions and answers would be much
appreciated

How about
The plant Tropaolum Aduncum is named after a colour which is named after a
bird which is named after an island which is named after a dog. What's its
common name?

Answer
The Canary Flower

Some good ideas there, thanks everyone. I don't as a rule use Google for
ready done questions as you can never be sure who else is reading them and
will know the answers , however it is good for picking out the odd question
:-)

kate

Old 20-06-2009, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-20 16:46:09 +0100, "Kate Morgan" said:

My husband is compiling a quiz for his local pub and he has asked me
for some gardening questions, any questions and answers would be much
appreciated

How about
The plant Tropaolum Aduncum is named after a colour which is named
after a bird which is named after an island which is named after a dog.
What's its common name?

Answer
The Canary Flower

Some good ideas there, thanks everyone. I don't as a rule use Google
for ready done questions as you can never be sure who else is reading
them and will know the answers , however it is good for picking out the
odd question :-)

kate

First place they'd look, IMO!

Old 20-06-2009, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
On 2009-06-20 16:46:09 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
said:

My husband is compiling a quiz for his local pub and he has asked me
for some gardening questions, any questions and answers would be much
appreciated

How about
The plant Tropaolum Aduncum is named after a colour which is named after
a bird which is named after an island which is named after a dog. What's
its common name?

Answer
The Canary Flower

Some good ideas there, thanks everyone. I don't as a rule use Google for
ready done questions as you can never be sure who else is reading them
and will know the answers , however it is good for picking out the odd
question :-)

kate

First place they'd look, IMO!

Sacha

Never seen a laptop in a quiz!! I would have thought they would be banned,
but then what do I know? I have only written quizzes :-((

Mike

Old 20-06-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-19 16:12:10 +0100, "Kate Morgan" said:

[...]

Perhaps it was what he could do surreptitiously and enjoy giggling to
himself about! Bit difficult to set about your host's garden with a
trowel or border fork!

I haven't visited Great Dixter yet but I'm due to attend a funeral next
week near Eastbourne - I wonder if I would have time to visit Rye?
Worth investigating.

I haven't been there, either and it's a great wish of mine to go.
Somehow, I have to drag Ray away at the right time of year.

Thank again, Sacha.

You're very welcome. We only heard that little story last week
ourselves and I was sort of amused and sort of horrified by it!

Old 20-06-2009, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..

In message , Sacha
writes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-19 16:12:10 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
said:

[...]

Oh we have been. Went by appointment for Joan's Birthday. Met the great man
himself and had a lovely talk.

'Took Joan into the Potting Shed' so he could sit down and sign some books
she had bought.

Lovely man, so gentle and loved to talk to the people who wanted to talk to
him. Had two little dogs who followed him around, 'If the dogs are about, so
is Christopher'

You missed a treat. Too late now. However the great house is still worth
visiting, and, if it is still there, sit in his chair in front of the fire
where he did most of his writing. He told me that he had just been asked by
the BBC to write another book, don't know if he got it out before he died
:-(

Mike

Old 20-06-2009, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" writes:

Never seen a laptop in a quiz!! I would have thought they would be banned,

mobile phone in the loo

Pub sign Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 11 04-08-2010 11:18 AM
pub quiz IV Frank Ponds 0 25-12-2007 08:51 PM
Pub re-miner: a tool for PubMed query building and literature mining. jkoster Plant Biology 0 22-02-2006 09:25 PM