Old 23-06-2009, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tape measure reading

No response from UK.d-i-y, so I'll try my luck here. :c)

I bought a cheap open reel surveyors type tape measure, but I'm not sure
how to use it.

Top part has a handle grip section, and at the opposite end is a kind of
pointer.

Like this:

http://bigslickdeals.com/images/cham...apemeasure.jpg

One side of the tape measures in feet and inches and zero is at the tape
end. Other side measures in metres and cm but zero is about 32cm from
the end of the tape.

How am I supposed to use this tape meaure. In particular, I cannot
fathom how to use the metric side of the tape measure. .

Either there is a reason that metres scale starts 32cm from the tape end
or it's a production fault. I just don't know.Thanks

Old 23-06-2009, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Rich" wrote in message
No response from UK.d-i-y, so I'll try my luck here. :c)

I bought a cheap open reel surveyors type tape measure, but I'm not sure
how to use it.

Top part has a handle grip section, and at the opposite end is a kind of
pointer.

Like this:

http://bigslickdeals.com/images/cham...apemeasure.jpg

One side of the tape measures in feet and inches and zero is at the tape
end. Other side measures in metres and cm but zero is about 32cm from
the end of the tape.

How am I supposed to use this tape meaure. In particular, I cannot
fathom how to use the metric side of the tape measure. .

Either there is a reason that metres scale starts 32cm from the tape end
or it's a production fault. I just don't know.Thanks

Mine is the same. I suppose you can always add 32cm to the metric reading.

Old 23-06-2009, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"OG" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Hi. Got mine from a Pound shop or something.

This is weird. Cannot understand why metric starts 32cm in from the end.

I suppose normal usage is tape runs out 90 degrees to the point feature
and that you can use the point feature to mark the ground. I assume that
is what point feature is for.

In order to see the metric markings right way up, you have to have the
tape coming out the other side, which you could arrange - but tape reads
32cm short.

I'm baffled. :c)

Old 23-06-2009, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rich" wrote in message

"OG" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps metric side is taking into effects of relativity when traveling
at warp speeds.

Old 23-06-2009, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"OG" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...79903031&s=diy

Here you see that the 10cm mark is 10cm from the end.

I think that all tapes like ours whose metric measures are not marked
zero at the end are in error. So, you just have to add 32 cm like you
say.

Old 23-06-2009, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rich" wrote in message
No response from UK.d-i-y, so I'll try my luck here. :c)

I bought a cheap

This I think is the most important bit of information :-)

Mike

Old 24-06-2009, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jbm jbm is offline

"Rich" wrote in message
| No response from UK.d-i-y, so I'll try my luck here. :c)
|
| I bought a cheap open reel surveyors type tape measure, but I'm not sure
| how to use it.
|
| Top part has a handle grip section, and at the opposite end is a kind of
| pointer.
|
| Like this:
|
| http://bigslickdeals.com/images/cham...apemeasure.jpg
|
| One side of the tape measures in feet and inches and zero is at the tape
| end. Other side measures in metres and cm but zero is about 32cm from
| the end of the tape.
|
| How am I supposed to use this tape meaure. In particular, I cannot
| fathom how to use the metric side of the tape measure. .
|
| Either there is a reason that metres scale starts 32cm from the tape end
| or it's a production fault. I just don't know.Thanks

Gawd. That takes me back! Haven't seen one of them like that for years.

The reason that the metric side doesn't start at the beginning of the tape
is so it can be used for all lengths from zero onwards, and used more
accurately. Anyone who has used surveyors tapes a lot soon find that the
first 30cm or so always become scuffed and obliterated due to ground drag
and accidental damage. To use it, you have to anchor the end of the tape so
that the zero mark coincides from where you are measuring from, sometimes a
lot easier said than done. But at least you can always read the millimetre
markings free of scuff and dirt. On the imperial side, the zero mark should
be the inside of the end hoop. What we never ever did work out was why they
didn't do the same on the imperial side.

The idea came about shortly after the construction industry converted from
imperial to decimal in the early seventies, and measurement tolerances
dropped to +/-1mm on some jobs, instead of 1/8" or 1/4" in the old system.
There were so many complaints about not being able to hold a tape in the
correct zero position with such tight tolerances that the manufacturers came
up with this idea.

The pointer on the casing is so you can stick the tape measure in the
ground, instead of laying it flat and getting it covered and clogged in mud.
When not in use it should be hung up by the handle. This prevents the tape
itself "dropping" to one side of the case, and subsequently rubbing and
chafing as it is unwound. If it does get dirty, unwind it into a large bowl
of water, and then get someone to pull it through a towel to dry it as you
wind it back in.

jim, Northampton

Old 24-06-2009, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jbm jbm is offline

P.S.
Having just read Rich's first post again, if you want to have the metric
markings on the top, unwind the tape completely, and you should be able to
unhook the tape from the spindle, turn it over, replace it, and wind it back
in. You can also reverse the direction of wind if you are left handed.

jim, Northampton

Old 24-06-2009, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jbm" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
> [...]

system.
There were so many complaints about not being able to hold a tape in
the
correct zero position with such tight tolerances that the
manufacturers came
up with this idea.

The pointer on the casing is so you can stick the tape measure in the
ground, instead of laying it flat and getting it covered and clogged
in mud.
When not in use it should be hung up by the handle. This prevents the
tape
itself "dropping" to one side of the case, and subsequently rubbing
and
chafing as it is unwound. If it does get dirty, unwind it into a large
bowl
of water, and then get someone to pull it through a towel to dry it as

Hi. I was becoming more and more convinced that there was a production
error, but you obviously have considered the issue before and figured
the answer.

I don't think many folks know the answer. :c)

What one can do is fold the tape at the zero mark and use a strong paper
clip. Like you say, could be tricky to arrange start of measure at the
zero point.

Of course, as was pointed our elsewhere, perfect if you loop the end of
the tape around a pipe approx 10cm diameter. :c) Thanks.

Old 24-06-2009, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...
No response from UK.d-i-y, so I'll try my luck here. :c)

I bought a cheap open reel surveyors type tape measure, but I'm not sure
how to use it.

Top part has a handle grip section, and at the opposite end is a kind of
pointer.

Like this:

http://bigslickdeals.com/images/cham...apemeasure.jpg

One side of the tape measures in feet and inches and zero is at the tape
end. Other side measures in metres and cm but zero is about 32cm from
the end of the tape.

How am I supposed to use this tape meaure. In particular, I cannot
fathom how to use the metric side of the tape measure. .

Either there is a reason that metres scale starts 32cm from the tape end
or it's a production fault. I just don't know.Thanks

Its a defect, I have used hundreds of these for work over the years and
both sides always start at zero.

I had the thought that if the tape ends with 100 feet and 30M at the same
point maybe some bright spark thought that was a good idea, but even that
does not work as there should be a 48cm (rounded up) difference between
100 feet and 30M
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-06-2009, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"jbm" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
| No response from UK.d-i-y, so I'll try my luck here. :c)
|
| I bought a cheap open reel surveyors type tape measure, but I'm not
sure
| how to use it.
|
| Top part has a handle grip section, and at the opposite end is a
kind of
| pointer.
|
| Like this:

http://bigslickdeals.com/images/cham...apemeasure.jpg

| One side of the tape measures in feet and inches and zero is at the
tape
| end. Other side measures in metres and cm but zero is about 32cm
from
| the end of the tape.
|
| How am I supposed to use this tape meaure. In particular, I cannot
| fathom how to use the metric side of the tape measure. .
|
| Either there is a reason that metres scale starts 32cm from the tape
end
| or it's a production fault. I just don't know.Thanks

Gawd. That takes me back! Haven't seen one of them like that for
years.

The reason that the metric side doesn't start at the beginning of the
tape
is so it can be used for all lengths from zero onwards, and used more
accurately. Anyone who has used surveyors tapes a lot soon find that
the
first 30cm or so always become scuffed and obliterated due to ground
drag
and accidental damage. To use it, you have to anchor the end of the
tape so
that the zero mark coincides from where you are measuring from,
sometimes a
lot easier said than done. But at least you can always read the
millimetre

As I said in my other post I automatically assumed an error because all
the tapes in the oil industry (which I was used to) both sides start at
zero having read the above I am clearly wrong!! its sounds a perfectly
good reason for doing what at first glance seems daft