Old 24-06-2009, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lavatera - stunning one year...dead the next. Any ideas?

Im so dissapointed. Being a relatively new, and very (very!) nervous
gardener I have been thrilled with my Lavatera which was the first
shrub I bought and has been a superstar in the garden the past 3
years.

This year..nothing. Absolutely zilch. Its completely dead.

Admittedly I didnt prune it last year but surely this won't have
killed it?

Trying to do online research I read somewhere that they only live for
about 3 years. Is this right? I thought they lasted forever?(!)

So, is it time to dig it up and start again?
Your thoughts wd be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Becky
Old 24-06-2009, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It happened to us. Two weeks ago our L.Barnsley was pronounced dead. We
bought a L.Rosea. I was about to dig up the old corpse and noticed new leaf
stems coming from the base. Out came the pruners and all the old upper
branches have been removed, seems to be doing fine. Yours may be a gonner,
have you given it a good soaking?

Bertie

Old 24-06-2009, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rebecca" wrote in message

Trying to do online research I read somewhere that they only live for
about 3 years. Is this right? I thought they lasted forever?(!)

Lavatera are a relatively short-lived shrub.

Old 24-06-2009, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rebecca wrote:
Im so dissapointed. Being a relatively new, and very (very!) nervous
gardener I have been thrilled with my Lavatera which was the first
shrub I bought and has been a superstar in the garden the past 3
years.

This year..nothing. Absolutely zilch. Its completely dead.

Admittedly I didnt prune it last year but surely this won't have
killed it?

Trying to do online research I read somewhere that they only live for
about 3 years. Is this right? I thought they lasted forever?(!)

So, is it time to dig it up and start again?
Your thoughts wd be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Becky

Best to take cuttings; you can keep one indefinitely like that.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 24-06-2009, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Rebecca writes
Im so dissapointed. Being a relatively new, and very (very!) nervous
gardener I have been thrilled with my Lavatera which was the first
shrub I bought and has been a superstar in the garden the past 3
years.

This year..nothing. Absolutely zilch. Its completely dead.

Admittedly I didnt prune it last year but surely this won't have
killed it?

Trying to do online research I read somewhere that they only live for
about 3 years. Is this right? I thought they lasted forever?(!)

They can last a long time (there's one down the road that's been around
for 10 years or more), but they do tend to be short lived. They don't
like standing water around their roots (I've had plants killed by
flooding in the summer before), and they're not the hardiest of plants
(some shelter helps).

With regards to pruning, some people (not me) prune Lavatera's back hard
to a framework. In Autumn I cut off the flowered stems to where new
shoots are breaking, and in spring cut out any dead wood. Some normally
shrubby varieties can behave as herbaceous perennials in some climates,
dying back to the ground, and shooting from the base. 'Barnsley' is
known for doing this, and I've found 'Lisanne' to produce new shoots
from suckers, rather than the base of the stem.

Lavateras, especially 'Rosea' and 'Barnsley', are easily propagated from
cuttings, so you can always have replacement plants available if you
have somewhere to overwinter them.

So, is it time to dig it up and start again?
Your thoughts wd be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Becky

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 24-06-2009, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the info guys.
Being a heavy clay soil garden (which is why for easiness most of my
plants are in containers!) I can see that the wet and cold of the
winter have sadly seen the end my my Lavatera.

Well, I have learnt not to get too excited by a great growing shrub!
Can I plant new shrubs, such as Lavetera, at this time? I loved the
speed of its growth! Or wd anyone recommend anything similar for great
speedy growth and colour.
Im in Surrey, UK.

Thanks again guys.
Becky

On 24 June, 21:19, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
Rebecca writes

Old 24-06-2009, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rebecca" wrote in message
Thanks for the info guys.
Being a heavy clay soil garden (which is why for easiness most of my
plants are in containers!) I can see that the wet and cold of the
winter have sadly seen the end my my Lavatera.

Well, I have learnt not to get too excited by a great growing shrub!
Can I plant new shrubs, such as Lavetera, at this time? I loved the
speed of its growth! Or wd anyone recommend anything similar for great
speedy growth and colour.
Im in Surrey, UK.

Thanks again guys.
Becky

Do try Lavatera again since you like it so much; you may be luckier next
time. I would also recommend Hebe 'Midsummer Beauty', which is a grand Hebe
with lavender flowers which attract bees and butterflies. Another quick
grower is Ceanothus, although these can also be short lived. Also try
Fuchsia 'Mrs Popple, a hardy shrub with red and purple flowers. I grow - or
have grown - all these plants on my heavy London clay with good results.

Spider

On 24 June, 21:19, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
Rebecca writes

Old 25-06-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message

snip
Lavateras, especially 'Rosea' and 'Barnsley', are easily propagated from
cuttings, so you can always have replacement plants available if you have
somewhere to overwinter them.

Stewart Robert Hinsley

When would be the best time of year to take cuttings, to plant in a
coldframe.
Thanks.
Bertie

Old 25-06-2009, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

In message

snip
Lavateras, especially 'Rosea' and 'Barnsley', are easily propagated from
cuttings, so you can always have replacement plants available if you have
somewhere to overwinter them.

Stewart Robert Hinsley

When would be the best time of year to take cuttings, to plant in a
coldframe.
Thanks.
Bertie

With Lavertera, I've just cut growth off and stuck it in a pot and hey
presto, it grows. I've never had to do anything more than that as it seems
so keen to develop roots and grow on.