Old 27-06-2009, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default watering system

any tips, tricks or cheats on how to make one?
I'm going away fro a fortnight and I have a 10 X 7 greenhouse to water,
tomatoes and chilli plants, some in bags and some directly in the soil.
I have access to lots of tubing etc and time, but very little in the way of
spare cash (need it for my hols!)

TIA

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Old 29-06-2009, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:43:22 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

any tips, tricks or cheats on how to make one?
I'm going away fro a fortnight and I have a 10 X 7 greenhouse to water,
tomatoes and chilli plants, some in bags and some directly in the soil.
I have access to lots of tubing etc and time, but very little in the way of
spare cash (need it for my hols!)

TIA

Neighbour.
Friend.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 29-06-2009, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:

any tips, tricks or cheats on how to make one?
I'm going away fro a fortnight and I have a 10 X 7 greenhouse to water,
tomatoes and chilli plants, some in bags and some directly in the soil.
I have access to lots of tubing etc and time, but very little in the way
of
spare cash (need it for my hols!)

I thought that I was being clever, I found a spare length of hosepipe and
made holes in it, all I have to do, I thought, was put it in the greenhouse
wind it round the base of the toms. etc you still with me :-) then attach
it to the longer bit that was connected to the tap, turn the tap on and hey
presto, watering done. What dawned on me too late was that the water tap was
lower than the greenhouse and I could not get enough pressure for the water
to flow out of all my neatly made holes,my next good idea is ........ well I
don't know yet its too hot to think :-)

kate

Old 29-06-2009, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
:

[...]

The water tap isn't connected to mains pressure then? The problem with this
set up is that you can get syphoning back, ie if you were trying to top up a
water butt from this tap, you can end up syphoning water from the butt into
your domestic system, which is known in technical terms as a bad thing. At
the very least you should have an anti syphon device (one-way valve) in the
feed to this tap.

Steve

Old 29-06-2009, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

yes the water tap is connected to the mains but when I turned the tap on
full it blew the hose connection off, they are all a bit old maybe I need
new hose and bits that go with it or maybe I still just use the hose and try
not to be clever but it would have been nice if it had worked :-)

kate