Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Registered User

Location: I live between my house in South Wales and our narrowboat on the Monmouth and Brecon canal.
Smile Hello Everybody.

This is my first post ever on a gardening forum and I wanted to introduce myself and say Hi and at the same time ask you all a question please.
I was unexpectedly disabled at the age of 53 three years ago and due to my enforced absence these days from work I have found gardening as rather a late comer.
It started through my love of birds and putting up several bird tables around the place and it has boinged on somewhat from there.
As you can imagine Im a little limited as to what I can do but my gorgeous Mrs does a lot of the digging and humping while I do the pottering and bossing (at least she allows me to believe that).
Last week we had some large Leylandi conifers taken down in the back garden. The "tree surgeons" doing the job dropped one right on top of our blackcurrant bushes and they are smashed to peices.
The heavy clay ground they were planted in is also covered in Montbretia with lots of other invasive plants that are a constant pain that we want to be rid of.
My plan as a complete novice now is to remove the 3 blackcurrant bushes and to transplant them into large containers and prune them back hard to get rid of all the smashed wood.
The ground then treat with sodium chlorate and cover with black membrane to have a fresh start next year.
Please bear in mind we arent capable of digging this soil over to remove all the unwanted stuff so does this plan sound like a goer to you far more knowledgable people out there please?
Im all ears, openminded and thankfull for any alternatives.
Thanks in advance and Hi again from me.

Hello Everybody DanielK United Kingdom 3 19-07-2010 03:57 PM
Hello everybody jimdannock Australia 2 27-08-2008 08:06 AM
Hello Everybody ! Seamus Ma' Cleriec Edible Gardening 1 23-08-2003 06:42 AM
How did everybody get started with their rose hobby? Emil Roses 37 17-04-2003 02:56 PM
How did everybody get started, and Persian Yellow Regina Roses 2 11-04-2003 07:20 AM