Old 10-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Regina

Default How did everybody get started, and Persian Yellow

lms wrote:

In article ,
says...

parents decided to build a new house, my rose was bulldozed one day when I
was at school. I was heartbroken.

Oh the shock. We had a light pink climber thing growing on the side of
the garage in a sort of no man's land that I played in, hiding under the
rose and the gnarled fruit trees. I remember clouds of petals on the
ground. When my mother remodeled the area, the rose disappeared. Funny
how our parents never thought about our attachments to these plants and
places.

I was caught by this rose addiction partly through the pull of such
memories of playing in the dirt as a kid, but mostly because like so
many, I bought a house. Simple as that. When you try different things
to see what works, you get snagged by the reward that roses give. I'm
also quite snagged by clematis for a similar reason.

(My first heartbreak with roses! Many more
to come!)

Always more heartpounders than heart breaks though.

Now, even though I love and grow contemporary HTs and some Austins, I'd
still like to find that little old yellow rose ...
Sue in SoCal

the rose Bob mentioned, certainly one of my faves on eart
http://www.nmt.edu/~mstephen/py02.jpg

That is just GAWjuz!

here's a close one:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Persi99.jpg

one day I grew a great red rose, now I have a computer filled with truly
bizarre stuff.

Yeah, it just happens, don't it?
The bizareness though is inborn. ;~P

Regina
Old 10-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Radika Kesavan

Regina wrote:
lms wrote:

here's a close one:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Persi99.jpg

one day I grew a great red rose, now I have a computer filled with truly
bizarre stuff.

Yeah, it just happens, don't it?
The bizareness though is inborn. ;~P

Hahaha!

You know, I was thinking that he needs to grow Excellenz von Schubert to
cover the knees of that Missster Lincoln. I planted EvS at the foot of
my very tall growing Bewitched for the same reason (it is also a very
wide Betwitched) and I am very glad of the effect. EvB can be kept as a
4 foot mound acoording to Liggett (Regina, I remember you asking me
about this a long time ago), but I am letting them all grow whatever way
they want to grow. So far, the interesting development (besides the
gorgeous EvB) is that Bewitched decided to keep all her leaves on her
knobby knees, and even throw an occasional low-blooming blossom, just to
compete with the EvB, and it is all very pretty, very pleasing to the eyes.

--
Radika
California

Old 11-04-2003, 07:20 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

lms wrote:

In article ,

says...

parents decided to build a new house, my rose was bulldozed one day when I
was at school. I was heartbroken.

Oh the shock. We had a light pink climber thing growing on the side of
the garage in a sort of no man's land that I played in, hiding under the
rose and the gnarled fruit trees. I remember clouds of petals on the
ground. When my mother remodeled the area, the rose disappeared. Funny
how our parents never thought about our attachments to these plants and
places.

for years I've been driving by this trailer park on Chaparrel sic Drive,
there was this *huge red bush next to the front door, I'm telling you it
**blazed totally authentic red in the spring, hugely red, well this dhead
decided to build a *deck and destroyed it. Makes me clench my teet every
time I drive by, I swear. one year--I swear I did this, I've never done it for
a rose--I just kinda casually walked up and cut some. but they didn't strike.
I can't talk too much, I guess, I had to basically destroy the Peace I planted
with Mr. Lincoln to do the enclosed patio addition thing. The two people
watching were amazed at the swiftness with which I did that. I did what I
had to do quickly. And I hope I didn't **** anybody off.

I was caught by this rose addiction partly through the pull of such
memories of playing in the dirt as a kid, but mostly because like so
many, I bought a house. Simple as that. When you try different things
to see what works, you get snagged by the reward that roses give. I'm
also quite snagged by clematis for a similar reason.

I dig clematis, have had a couple live for years, it's extremely tenacious
if it ever gets any grip at all on life. around here it's very easy
to make a mistake when you're weeding the tall stuff and you can't get near
it with a weedeater.

(My first heartbreak with roses! Many more
to come!)

Always more heartpounders than heart breaks though.

Now, even though I love and grow contemporary HTs and some Austins, I'd
still like to find that little old yellow rose ...
Sue in SoCal

the rose Bob mentioned, certainly one of my faves on eart
http://www.nmt.edu/~mstephen/py02.jpg

That is just GAWjuz!

heheh. just finished irrigating, loaded it up for the big one, it won't
be long now. each year it's been better than the one before, we're on
track for that. I'll let it eat Lightqueen Lucia if it wants to--this one's
not particularly enthralled with NM

here's a close one:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Persi99.jpg

one day I grew a great red rose, now I have a computer filled with truly
bizarre stuff.

Yeah, it just happens, don't it?
The bizareness though is inborn. ;~P

one of my most ancient buddies is going to korea saturday. his job is
wargames/computers. great. just great. you know, 8 o'clock sure comes
early these days.