Old 28-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Is this reasonable

Serena Blanchflower wrote in
news

It all comes down to what people will pay.

That's great when the amount people will pay is comfortably above the
costs (including overheads) of producing the product / providing the
service. When it is less, you have a problem.

Well, only if there are not enough people who will pay for a proper level
of service. In which case, you either find a creative way of selling a cut
down version to the cheapskates, (new lawn laid on top of old one, anyone?)
or you leave them to go their own way and spend the time looking for better
quality customers instead.

As this thread has proved, there is rarely one market rate for 'what people
will pay.'

I find that people who think they've got a bargain always seem to want
freebies (usually by yesterday!), whereas the people you have convinced
that you are worth your weight in gold are much more respectful of your
time and skills.

Victoria
Old 28-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Serena Blanchflower

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:11:23 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Kelly"
wrote:

In that case you do not understand how pricing in the self employed world
works!

Not just the self employed world. Exactly the same logic would apply if
you were buying a product or service from a company.

--
Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)
Old 28-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Paul Kelly

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in
message news
wrote:

In that case you do not understand how pricing in the self employed

world
works!

Not just the self employed world. Exactly the same logic would apply if
you were buying a product or service from a company.

Quite correct, I did have a Para expanding on just that but deleted it for
simplicity.

pk

Old 28-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Alan Holmes

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

"hayley" wrote in message
my partner's father gardens for about £5 an hour. He is very good but

does
it more for a hobby. Maybe you should ask around locally to see if

anyone
has a gardener who does it more for love of the job and would do yours

for
less?
Hayley

and people wonder why there are so few good and qualified Gardeners

around!
No wonder when the market rate is dragged down below poverty levels by the
hobby amateur!

Have you considered that he may be retired and just looking for a bit of
pocket money?

As well as finding himself some pastime which he enjoys doing.

Alan

Old 28-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Alan Holmes

"Fenny" k wrote in
message ...
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard hayley say...
my partner's father gardens for about £5 an hour. He is very good but

does
it more for a hobby. Maybe you should ask around locally to see if

anyone
has a gardener who does it more for love of the job and would do yours

for
less?

Maybe they could. But will they be declaring the income for tax etc,
etc. I have charged 10 / hr, and not had problems getting customers,
but I have to cover the overheads of being self employed.

I would consider £10 per hour reasonable, anything more I'd be reluctant to
pay.

Alan