Old 16-07-2009, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Silly season

Looks like a silly season has started going by all the post from
the brain dead today. I still don't understand what pleasure they
get from it.

Bemused.
Mike

Old 16-07-2009, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
Looks like a silly season has started going by all the post from the brain
dead today. I still don't understand what pleasure they get from it.

Bemused.
Mike

School holidays :-((

Last until September I expect

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 16-07-2009, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Attention seeking.

Baldymoongit

Old 16-07-2009, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
Looks like a silly season has started going by all the post from the brain
dead today. I still don't understand what pleasure they get from it.

Bemused.
Mike

Trolling is a form of fishing.
Every response it generates is a 'bite'.

Retaliating with abuse will encourage more postings of a similar nature.
Hence the phrase: do not feed the trolls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

mark

Old 16-07-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 16, 4:19*pm, "mark" wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message

Looks like a silly season has started going by all the post from the brain
dead today. I still don't understand what pleasure they get from it.

Bemused.
Mike

Trolling is a form of fishing.
Every response it generates is a 'bite'.

Retaliating with abuse will encourage more postings of a similar nature.
Hence the phrase: do not feed the trolls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

mark

Good advice Mark, although it's difficult when a troll attacks a
person who we all respect and have known over the years.

Judith

Old 16-07-2009, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:41:21 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

Looks like a silly season has started going by all the post from
the brain dead today. I still don't understand what pleasure they
get from it.

I've not seen any of these posts. I block all posts posted to more than one
newsgroup (crossposted). Most of the rubbish is crossposted.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 16-07-2009, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:41:21 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

Looks like a silly season has started going by all the post from
the brain dead today. I still don't understand what pleasure they
get from it.

I've not seen any of these posts. I block all posts posted to more than
one
newsgroup (crossposted). Most of the rubbish is crossposted.
--

But do you see the replies to such posts?

mark

Old 16-07-2009, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:13:53 +0100, mark wrote:

But do you see the replies to such posts?

No. Posts replying to crossposts are also crossposted - so I don't see
them.

The only replies I would see is where the replying poster has noticed the
post has been crossposted and removed the other newsgroups from his reply.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 16-07-2009, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:13:53 +0100, mark wrote:

But do you see the replies to such posts?

No. Posts replying to crossposts are also crossposted - so I don't see
them.

The only replies I would see is where the replying poster has noticed the
post has been crossposted and removed the other newsgroups from his reply.
--
Regards,

So how do you block crossposted posts?
I use Outlook Express for Newsgroups.

mark

Old 16-07-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:05:00 +0100, mark wrote:

So how do you block crossposted posts?
I use Outlook Express for Newsgroups.

Sorry Mark, I don't use OE and have no idea if it's possible - I'd guess
not.

I use Dialog www.40tude.com/dialog and simply add a line in the script :-

-10 Xpost %1

The -10 means ignore and the Xpost %1 means all posts posted to more than
1 newsgroup (can be changed to more than 1). Sorry but that won't work in
OE.

I think other newsreaders also allow things like this.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Old 16-07-2009, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:05:00 +0100, mark wrote:

So how do you block crossposted posts?
I use Outlook Express for Newsgroups.

Sorry Mark, I don't use OE and have no idea if it's possible - I'd guess
not.

I use Dialog www.40tude.com/dialog and simply add a line in the script :-

-10 Xpost %1

The -10 means ignore and the Xpost %1 means all posts posted to more than
1 newsgroup (can be changed to more than 1). Sorry but that won't work in
OE.

I think other newsreaders also allow things like this.
--
Regards,

oh well thanks anyway.

mark

Old 16-07-2009, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 4:19 pm, "mark" wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message

Looks like a silly season has started going by all the post from the
brain
dead today. I still don't understand what pleasure they get from it.

Bemused.
Mike

Trolling is a form of fishing.
Every response it generates is a 'bite'.

Retaliating with abuse will encourage more postings of a similar nature.
Hence the phrase: do not feed the trolls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

mark

Good advice Mark, although it's difficult when a troll attacks a
person who we all respect and have known over the years.

Kill filing anyone who cross posts or replies is very effective. It is a
very small number who respond. You quickly see none of the rubbish.

Tim W

Old 16-07-2009, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
School holidays :-((
Last until September I expect

Sheesh! Yours on IOW have broken up already?
I've got looks at watch at least a week... amd I'm gonna savour
every minute. The kids round here are EVIL.
Old 16-07-2009, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:44:18 +0100, mark wrote:

I think other newsreaders also allow things like this.

oh well thanks anyway.

I've checked on the Agent newsreader www.forteinc.com/agent

Agent also allows blocking of crossposts.

Why not try a proper newsreader ? Lots of useful settings available that OE
doesn't provide.

Dialog is free but Agent isn't (30 day free trial).
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 17-07-2009, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Hugh Jampton
writes

Sorry Mark, I don't use OE and have no idea if it's possible - I'd guess
not.

I use Dialog www.40tude.com/dialog and simply add a line in the script :-

-10 Xpost %1

The -10 means ignore and the Xpost %1 means all posts posted to more than
1 newsgroup (can be changed to more than 1). Sorry but that won't work in
OE.

I think other newsreaders also allow things like this.

Turnpike has the custom rule: /^Newsgroups:.*,/h

Allowing one crossposted group is /^Newsgroups:.*,.*,/h
etc
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply