Old 27-07-2009, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes

I have two tomato plants growing next to each other in individual pots.
They are against a south facing wall so receive plenty of sun when it isn't
raining. They are cropping quite well but I have just realised something
odd. All the tomatoes are growing on the inside of the two plants, where
the leaves and stalks criss cross. On the outside of the plants there are
plenty of leaves but no fruits. As a point of interest what would happen if
I turned both pots 180 degrees so the fruits were on the outside and the
barren side of the plants were on the inside. Can anyone suggest why the
plants have fruited in this way, just on one side of the plant.

Old 27-07-2009, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bill writes
I have two tomato plants growing next to each other in individual pots.
They are against a south facing wall so receive plenty of sun when it isn't
raining. They are cropping quite well but I have just realised something
odd. All the tomatoes are growing on the inside of the two plants, where
the leaves and stalks criss cross. On the outside of the plants there are
plenty of leaves but no fruits. As a point of interest what would happen if
I turned both pots 180 degrees so the fruits were on the outside and the
barren side of the plants were on the inside. Can anyone suggest why the
plants have fruited in this way, just on one side of the plant.

I'm growing a 'tumbling' variety, and all the tomatoes are underneath,
thus giving the leaves the maximum exposure to the light.

--
Kay
Old 27-07-2009, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Bill writes
I have two tomato plants growing next to each other in individual pots.
They are against a south facing wall so receive plenty of sun when it isn't
raining. They are cropping quite well but I have just realised something
odd. All the tomatoes are growing on the inside of the two plants, where
the leaves and stalks criss cross. On the outside of the plants there are
plenty of leaves but no fruits. As a point of interest what would happen if
I turned both pots 180 degrees so the fruits were on the outside and the
barren side of the plants were on the inside. Can anyone suggest why the
plants have fruited in this way, just on one side of the plant.

I'm growing a 'tumbling' variety, and all the tomatoes are underneath,
thus giving the leaves the maximum exposure to the light.

I am trying only one of those this year - a plum tomato - and it is
doing well. I wish I had grown more and left the other varieties. Too
late now
--
June Hughes
Old 27-07-2009, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
news
In message , K
writes
Bill writes
[...]

As well as the Tigerella plants my first post was about I also have a
tumbling cherry tomato type plant in a hanging basket. They are really
cascading well and we are eating the fruits already. the plant is huge!

Bill

Old 27-07-2009, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:21:26 +0100, June Hughes
wrote:

In message , K
writes
Bill writes
[...]

Shame :-(

I think, no urge, you to commit suicide over it.

Why not? It's not as if you'd be missed by anyone and I've heard B&Q
have an offer on ropes on!

Go on.

Old 28-07-2009, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote in
T:

In article ,
says...
I have two tomato plants growing next to each other in individual
pots. They are against a south facing wall so receive plenty of sun
when it isn't raining. They are cropping quite well but I have just
realised something odd. All the tomatoes are growing on the inside
of the two plants, where the leaves and stalks criss cross. On the
outside of the plants there are plenty of leaves but no fruits. As a
point of interest what would happen if I turned both pots 180 degrees
so the fruits were on the outside and the barren side of the plants
were on the inside. Can anyone suggest why the plants have fruited
in this way, just on one side of the plant.

Pollination, something on the outside happened which stopped the
flowers from pollinating?

As well as Photosynthesis, some plants use their leaf to guard against hot
direct sunlight.

It looks likely that your toms are "wearing sunglasses"

I know that everyone loves to have their early crop but an old saying here
"if it's not broken don't try to fix it"

A south facing wall is very productive because (the wall) it stores heat
during the day and at night it radiates heat to your tomatoes, this is one
reason why the Victorians used a walled garden.

Conclusion is this...take off ALL sideshoots, TOP them now and water/feed
them and then some more watering and be prepared for a glut soon, and next
year grow gardeners delight or sweet million if these aren't the variety
you planted this year.

By the way when you go to the toilet after eating tomatoes you expell seeds
from them and they grow wild!! amd they are in darkness!!

As 7of9 would say "they will adapt"

Kind regards
Part_No