Old 30-07-2009, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Reviving Shrubs

My mum brought over some shrubs from her garden to be planted in mine
last Saturday.
They had been dug up about 4 hours earlier and put into black sacks. I
planted them straight away, if the names mean anything, there were 2
Cotinus and a Sambucus Nigra Black Lace.
They were a bit limp when I planted them, perhaps being in sacks
didn't help. The 2 Cotinus aren't too bad, there are still some limp
leaves but the Black Lace has not recovered at all. The leaves have
drooped even more and have now dried out. They have been watered every
day since.

Can anything be done to revive them? I have to give a progress report
next Saturday and it's not looking good!

Dave

Old 30-07-2009, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave" wrote in message

My mum brought over some shrubs from her garden to be planted in mine
last Saturday.
They had been dug up about 4 hours earlier and put into black sacks. I
planted them straight away, if the names mean anything, there were 2
Cotinus and a Sambucus Nigra Black Lace.
They were a bit limp when I planted them, perhaps being in sacks
didn't help. The 2 Cotinus aren't too bad, there are still some limp
leaves but the Black Lace has not recovered at all. The leaves have
drooped even more and have now dried out. They have been watered every
day since.

Can anything be done to revive them? I have to give a progress report
next Saturday and it's not looking good!

Dave

Since your mum's a gardener, Dave, I'm sure she already knows that they will
take more than a week to recover. Just keep watering them; maybe even mulch
them to retain as much moisture as possible *and* suppress weeds. She will
know you're doing your best for them.

Keep an eye out for tiny new basal growth shoots on the Sambucus. All but
the youngest stems on Sambucus are hollow, and this may be part of the
reason why it is taking less quickly. It is impossible to root cuttings
from the hollow stems of Sambucus (new, solid tissue growth is used), and I
am guessing that this hollow stem structure is what's hindering the plant
now. Generally, though, Sambucus are tough plants so just keep up with the
tlc.

Good luck.
Spider

Old 30-07-2009, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I was given a few shrubs and they looked as dead as dead can be, I put them
each in a bucket of water for a week or two and they soon started to pick
up and are now as good as new, not the usual way of dealing with plants I
know but if all else fails it might be worth giving it a go, good luck

kate

Old 30-07-2009, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 30, 9:05*pm, (Dave) wrote:
My mum brought over some shrubs from her garden to be planted in mine
last Saturday.
They had been dug up about 4 hours earlier and put into black sacks. I
planted them straight away, if the names mean anything, there were 2
Cotinus and a Sambucus Nigra Black Lace.
They were a bit limp when I planted them, perhaps being in sacks
didn't help. The 2 Cotinus aren't too bad, there are still some limp
leaves but the Black Lace has not recovered at all. The leaves have
drooped even more and have now dried out. They have been watered every
day since.

Can anything be done to revive them? I have to give a progress report
next Saturday and it's not looking good!

Dave

Prune the top growth as there is too much to support, can you keep
them in shade? Furthermore, just keep on watering, keep the top
growth pruned and hopefully they will be o.k. It's not a good time to
transplant anything but I have done it in this climate and succeeded.

Judith
Old 31-07-2009, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:55:24 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

Prune the top growth as there is too much to support, can you keep
them in shade? Furthermore, just keep on watering, keep the top
growth pruned and hopefully they will be o.k. It's not a good time to
transplant anything but I have done it in this climate and succeeded.

Judith

Thanks for the replies.
I'll coninue the watering and do some pruning.

Dave

Old 03-08-2009, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid
says...
"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Spider, you can use those older hollow stems for cuttings but you need
to make the base cut close to the node where it is solid right through,
(did a couple of stand by cuttings from mine 3 weeks ago and they are
growing strongly) cuttings are a bit top heavy and wobbly
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 06-08-2009, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article , lid
says...
"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you for for coming back with that, Charlie. It's most interesting.
I've only ever read the solid stem version and, I must say, it sounds
feasible. I will try out the hollow stem method as I need a cutting of my
Sambucus (the Sutherlands form, I think).

Spider