Old 02-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Registered User

Default my eucalyptus is bleeding.

Call me sensitive but I feel awful, I had a eucalyptus i bought originally as a shrub and it grew 10ft tall, it was shading my neighbour's garden so we decided to cut it down as the leaves were too high for me to reach and use anyway. So we cut it down between us, I loved the way the truck was formed so I decided to cut it down and use the trunk as a bird table, I have just been up the garden and she is bleeding, no I mean it she is really bleeding! red sticky "blood" is oozing out and its running down the stump, now I feel terrible, she is up there bleeding to death and I don't know what to do Im thinking maybe if I stop it, she can start to sprout out of the sides and I can keep her low and manageable. can anyone help. pleeease.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
LID says...

--
tizfreespirit

Not known as Gum Trees for nothing!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Oh Charlie, how dreadful. I've had a look in my RHS Pruning and Training
guide and there's nothing at all on sap loss. In your place, I think I
would dry it as much as possible and use a wound paint. I'm not
underestimating how much it's bleeding, but I think the only thing you can
do is stauch the flow, either completely or just slow it down. If it slows
down, it may start to coagulate.

Good luck with it.
Spider

Old 03-08-2009, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid
says...

[...]

Tiss not me with the tree, I suspect all you can do having cut it at the
wrong time is wait and hope
Old 03-08-2009, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 16:25:01 +0100, tizfreespirit
wrote:

Call me sensitive but I feel awful, I had a eucalyptus i bought
originally as a shrub and it grew 10ft tall, it was shading my
neighbour's garden so we decided to cut it down as the leaves were too
high for me to reach and use anyway. So we cut it down between us, I
loved the way the truck was formed so I decided to cut it down and use
the trunk as a bird table, I have just been up the garden and she is
bleeding, no I mean it she is really bleeding! red sticky "blood" is
oozing out and its running down the stump, now I feel terrible, she is
up there bleeding to death and I don't know what to do Im thinking
maybe if I stop it, she can start to sprout out of the sides and I can
keep her low and manageable. can anyone help. pleeease.

I had the same problem many years ago when I cut off a large branch.
The sap turned to a sticky mess and then after a few weeks it
solidified. That formed a seal. A year later when I moved house the
tree had recovered apart from the branch I cut off.

Steve

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Oops! Sorry Charlie! I'll right 100 lines 'I must engage my brain'.

Spider

Bleeding hearts Jill Gardening 2 27-05-2003 08:32 PM
how to plant bleeding hearts? enid potter United Kingdom 2 03-05-2003 05:08 PM
A bleeding silver birch tree - should I worry ? David C United Kingdom 2 19-03-2003 11:32 PM
? Trumpet vine and Bleeding Heart & starting early - TakeThisOut Gardening 1 23-02-2003 04:39 PM
[IBC] quercus bleeding lou E Bonsai 2 28-01-2003 07:09 PM