Old 03-08-2009, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plum ripening

Our victoria plum tree has so many fruit this year that three of the biggest
branches have snapped under the weight. The plums are still 99% green. Now
they're off the tree, will they ripen? And if they don't, is there anything
we can do with them?

--
Steve

Never shake the ketchup bottle. None'll come, and then a lot'll

Old 03-08-2009, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 3, 9:45*pm, "shazzbat"
wrote:
Our victoria plum tree has so many fruit this year that three of the biggest
branches have snapped under the weight. The plums are still 99% green. Now
they're off the tree, will they ripen? And if they don't, is there anything
we can do with them?

Throw them at the neighbour's cats?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
Our victoria plum tree has so many fruit this year that three of the
biggest branches have snapped under the weight.

Next year, remove half the fruit to avoid serious tree damage.

The plums are still 99%
green.

Lucky you - the squirrels stole all ours between Friday and Sunday. :-(

Now they're off the tree, will they ripen? And if they don't, is
there anything we can do with them?

Not that I'm aware of except make green plum jam.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Mark McIntyre wrote:

Now they're off the tree, will they ripen? And if they don't, is
there anything we can do with them?

Not that I'm aware of except make green plum jam.

You could try chutney - not done it, but you generally use unripe
fruit for it.

I must make some more hot japonica chutney this year, and teach my
niece how. It's for people who (like me) find most chutneys too
sweet and with no kick. Just use japonica instead of apple (it's
a lot sourer), perhaps a fraction less sugar, and chilli to taste.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
Mark McIntyre wrote:

Now they're off the tree, will they ripen? And if they don't, is
there anything we can do with them?

Not that I'm aware of except make green plum jam.

You could try chutney - not done it, but you generally use unripe
fruit for it.

I must make some more hot japonica chutney this year, and teach my
niece how. It's for people who (like me) find most chutneys too
sweet and with no kick. Just use japonica instead of apple (it's
a lot sourer), perhaps a fraction less sugar, and chilli to taste.

I used to make plum chutney which was very good. It was one of Delia' I
think.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:21:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,
Mark McIntyre wrote:

Now they're off the tree, will they ripen? And if they don't, is
there anything we can do with them?

Not that I'm aware of except make green plum jam.

You could try chutney - not done it, but you generally use unripe
fruit for it.

I must make some more hot japonica chutney this year, and teach my
niece how. It's for people who (like me) find most chutneys too
sweet and with no kick. Just use japonica instead of apple (it's
a lot sourer), perhaps a fraction less sugar, and chilli to taste.

I used to make plum chutney which was very good. It was one of Delia' I
think.

How about black currant chutney?

lol I can't say I have ever come across that one You will need to
google

Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 11:08:29 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:21:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
Mark McIntyre wrote:

Now they're off the tree, will they ripen? And if they don't, is
there anything we can do with them?

Not that I'm aware of except make green plum jam.

You could try chutney - not done it, but you generally use unripe
fruit for it.

I must make some more hot japonica chutney this year, and teach my
niece how. It's for people who (like me) find most chutneys too
sweet and with no kick. Just use japonica instead of apple (it's
a lot sourer), perhaps a fraction less sugar, and chilli to taste.

I used to make plum chutney which was very good. It was one of Delia' I
think.

How about black currant chutney?

lol I can't say I have ever come across that one You will need to
google

http://www.kayben.com/recipes.html except the recipe is missing DOH!

Here's one to use up those tomatoes and the glut of black currants
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=g...hutney&f=false

So, shall you be making blackcurrant chutney?

I hope you are not referring to my tomatoes young fella me lad. I haven't
eaten my red one yet btw. They are less a subject for food as a work of art

Pumpkin Ripening stripe25 Edible Gardening 1 15-10-2003 02:02 AM
ripening chillis Jaques d'Altrades United Kingdom 15 30-09-2003 12:07 PM
ripening pears mark United Kingdom 3 24-09-2003 09:22 PM
ripening chillis Jaques d'Altrades United Kingdom 0 22-09-2003 11:28 PM
Ripening schedule for pears? krm United Kingdom 1 01-02-2003 10:22 AM