Old 22-09-2003, 11:29 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default ripening chillis

Someone asked when he could expect his chillis to ripen.

My jalapino chillis are beginning to ripen now. One red one almost ready
for picking.

All outside plants.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 23-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Jaques d'Altrades writes:
| Someone asked when he could expect his chillis to ripen.
|
| My jalapino chillis are beginning to ripen now. One red one almost ready
| for picking.
|
| All outside plants.

My Thai Dragon have been ready for some time, and are now almost
all reddening up. Curiously, the outside ones are further ahead
than the ones in the polytunnel.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-09-2003, 08:12 PM
ajr

writes:
| Someone asked when he could expect his chillis to ripen.
|
| My jalapino chillis are beginning to ripen now. One red one almost

ready
| for picking.
|
| All outside plants.

My Thai Dragon have been ready for some time, and are now almost
all reddening up. Curiously, the outside ones are further ahead
than the ones in the polytunnel.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Roughly half of mine are now ripe, however when I tried a few the other day
they were not very hot.

:-((

On a brighter note, my tomatoes have suddenly turned bright red and taste
delicious!!

Old 23-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
ajr wrote:

| My jalapino chillis are beginning to ripen now. One red one almost

ready
| for picking.
|
| All outside plants.

My Thai Dragon have been ready for some time, and are now almost
all reddening up. Curiously, the outside ones are further ahead
than the ones in the polytunnel.

Roughly half of mine are now ripe, however when I tried a few the other day
they were not very hot.

What variety? They won't get very hot in the UK, anyway, but some
seem better than others. My attempt at habanero was a disaster;
they cropped miserably, got mould, tasted of nothing much and weren't
even hot. But I don't think much of habanero anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-09-2003, 09:02 PM
ajr

ajr wrote:

| My jalapino chillis are beginning to ripen now. One red one almost

ready
| for picking.
|
| All outside plants.

My Thai Dragon have been ready for some time, and are now almost
all reddening up. Curiously, the outside ones are further ahead
than the ones in the polytunnel.

Roughly half of mine are now ripe, however when I tried a few the other

day
they were not very hot.

What variety? They won't get very hot in the UK, anyway, but some
seem better than others. My attempt at habanero was a disaster;
they cropped miserably, got mould, tasted of nothing much and weren't
even hot. But I don't think much of habanero anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sorry Nick, I don't know the exact name - I'll have a look at the label
tommorow. They are small, a bit like a plump version of the birds eye (?)
variety.

I was expecting them to be hot this year, as the plant is positioned in a
'sun trap' and, as I'm sure you know, it has been hot most days since
June/July. Last year when the weather was a lot milder they were a lot
'warmer' - not hot, hot - but very peppery. This year, however, they are
VERY bland.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 23-09-2003, 11:09 PM
adrianfoden

I was expecting them to be hot this year, as the plant is positioned in a
'sun trap' and, as I'm sure you know, it has been hot most days since
June/July. Last year when the weather was a lot milder they were a lot
'warmer' - not hot, hot - but very peppery. This year, however, they are
VERY bland.

There's plenty of factors that impact on he heat development, Sun being just
one of them. If yours aren't quite as hot as you'd expect it could also be
watering (a little water stress actually helps) or nutrient

Old 24-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Mark Allison

My Apaches and Cayenne Peppers started ripening about 4 weeks ago and are
nearly finished now. Just a few left. They are in the greenhouse. The
Apaches were quite mild, needing about 4-5 to make a hot curry. The cayenne
peppers were very, very hot needing 1/2 - 1 pepper for a hot curry.

Great.

Mark.

Old 24-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Sad Sid

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
What variety? They won't get very hot in the UK, anyway

Interesting! My Jalepenos are much hotter than shop-bought ones - they've
taken many guests by surprise.

Old 24-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Sad Sid" . writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
|
| What variety? They won't get very hot in the UK, anyway
|
| Interesting! My Jalepenos are much hotter than shop-bought ones - they've
| taken many guests by surprise.

Jalapenos? They are scarcely hotter than many "sweet" peppers!

Yes, I can imagine variation within them - there is a chance that
the commercial strains have been bred for the wimpish USA market.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

Old 24-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

Old 24-09-2003, 07:02 PM
ajr

"adrianfoden" wrote in message
I was expecting them to be hot this year, as the plant is positioned in

'sun trap' and, as I'm sure you know, it has been hot most days since
June/July. Last year when the weather was a lot milder they were a lot
'warmer' - not hot, hot - but very peppery. This year, however, they

are
VERY bland.

There's plenty of factors that impact on he heat development, Sun being

just
one of them. If yours aren't quite as hot as you'd expect it could also be
watering (a little water stress actually helps) or nutrient

That's interesting - I assume that 'water stress' means drought in laymans
terms!? :-)

This year the plant was very well looked after, watered daily etc, where as
last year it was left to its own resources.

Old 25-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Christopher Norton writes:
| The message
| from (Nick Maclaren) contains these words:
|
| Jalapenos? They are scarcely hotter than many "sweet" peppers!
|
| Yes, I can imagine variation within them - there is a chance that
| the commercial strains have been bred for the wimpish USA market.
|
| The nation that brought us the chilli cookoff? I`ve had it on good
| authority that chilli is somewhat of a national culture especially down
| near the border with mexico. However, I do not have first hand knowledge
| on this.

I have never been right near the border, but my limited experience
with Texan Tex-Mex food is that it is pretty lukewarm, by UK Thai
standards. I had chilli in one hotel, and it was disgusting - take
mince, tomato paste, salt, monosodium glutamate and kidney beans,
in that order of quantity, and stew until done. I failed to detect
any chilli through the salt and monosodium glutamate and abandoned
the mess as inedible.

I can witness from considerably more experience that California's
use of chillis is generally even more cautious - when I worked there,
some colleagues warned me about ordering extra jalapeno and chilli
on the hottest pizza and were astounded that I ate the jalapenos
whole and on their own. The one Texan merely grinned.

| I think it was you Nick that said you were disappointed with Hab`s? My
| only time of growing them were described as eating fire so you may wish
| to class yourself as having an asbestos mouth. 8-))

As I have said before, I am a genuine colonial, born in the last
days of Empire (over which the sun never sets, naturally) :-)

You could be right ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Birds Eye Chillis Fredrick Skoog United Kingdom 1 08-03-2004 10:39 AM
Habanero chillis in greenhouses Dave Chalton United Kingdom 2 31-10-2003 03:02 PM
ripening chillis Jaques d'Altrades United Kingdom 0 22-09-2003 11:28 PM
storing chillis mart United Kingdom 4 06-09-2003 08:22 PM
Too late to sow chillis? Mark Allison United Kingdom 11 14-05-2003 04:56 AM