Old 06-08-2009, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID please

Hi all.

Can anyone please help me identify this plant. I've a couple of them
appeared in my borders this year. I've certinly not planted them myself so
presume they've seeded from the horse muck I mulched with earlier in the
year. They seem to grow to about 3ft tall. Not unattractive but I don't
particularly want too many more of them:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...5082009059.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...5082009058.jpg

TIA

Clive in Kent

Old 06-08-2009, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Clive Holden @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message
Hi all.

Can anyone please help me identify this plant. I've a couple of them
appeared in my borders this year. I've certinly not planted them myself so
presume they've seeded from the horse muck I mulched with earlier in the
year. They seem to grow to about 3ft tall. Not unattractive but I don't
particularly want too many more of them:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...5082009059.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...5082009058.jpg

TIA

Clive in Kent

It looks like one of the Rose Bay Willow Herb types. Attractive in flower,
good for wildlike .. atrocious weed in my garden. I'm constantly pulling it
out.

Spider

Old 06-08-2009, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-06 14:12:24 +0100, "Clive Holden"
said:

Hi all.

Can anyone please help me identify this plant. I've a couple of them
appeared in my borders this year. I've certinly not planted them myself
so presume they've seeded from the horse muck I mulched with earlier in
the year. They seem to grow to about 3ft tall. Not unattractive but I
don't particularly want too many more of them:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...5082009059.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...5082009058.jpg

TIA

Clive in Kent

Rosebay willowherb - seeds madly everywhere. It's good for the
Elephant Hawkmoth caterpillar so if you have an area you dare leave it
in, it's worth leaving a bit about here and there.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-08-2009, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spider
writes

"Clive Holden @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message
Hi all.

Can anyone please help me identify this plant. I've a couple of them
appeared in my borders this year. I've certinly not planted them myself so
presume they've seeded from the horse muck I mulched with earlier in the
year. They seem to grow to about 3ft tall. Not unattractive but I don't
particularly want too many more of them:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...5082009059.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...5082009058.jpg

TIA

Clive in Kent

It looks like one of the Rose Bay Willow Herb types. Attractive in flower,
good for wildlike .. atrocious weed in my garden. I'm constantly pulling it
out.

Spider

Aka the Railway Weed, I believe, because of it's tendency to grow on
embankments?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 06-08-2009, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Spider
writes

[...]

Quite so. :~)

Spider

Old 06-08-2009, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Clive Holden @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message
Hi all.

Can anyone please help me identify this plant. I've a couple of them
appeared in my borders this year. I've certinly not planted them myself
so presume they've seeded from the horse muck I mulched with earlier in
the year. They seem to grow to about 3ft tall. Not unattractive but I
don't particularly want too many more of them:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...5082009059.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...5082009058.jpg

TIA

Clive in Kent

It looks like one of the Rose Bay Willow Herb types. Attractive in
flower, good for wildlike .. atrocious weed in my garden. I'm constantly
pulling it out.

Spider

It looks to me like Great Willowherb (Epilobium parviflorum) rather than
Rosebay (E. angustifolium syn Chamaenerium angustifolium)

R.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Ragnar writes

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, you're right. It's not rose-bay, which has all its flowers in a
single spike at the top. It's great willowherb
--
Kay
Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ragnar
writes

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Great willowherb - yes. Epilobium parviflorum - no. The latter is hoary
willowherb; great willowherb is Epilobium hirsutum.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 16:05:16 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Spider
writes

[...]

Also known as fire weed, because it grew readily on bomb sites after
the war. A pretty sight but a pretty big nuisance ever since.

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-08-2009, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ragnar
writes

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

As a small footnote: Epilobium angustifolium (fireweed) is the provincial
flower of Yukon Territory in Canada, 'cos there's such a lot of it. (Well,
they had to pick something...)

There's masses of some tall Epilobium growing down alongside the roads
around the Somerset Levels. They look lovely.

someone

Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Aka the Railway Weed, I believe, because of it's tendency to grow on
embankments?

Also known as fire weed, because it grew readily on bomb sites after
the war. A pretty sight but a pretty big nuisance ever since.

Pam in Bristol

Ah yes, I remember!
Strokes beard
--