Old 15-08-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Raymond |Hubbard

This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week www.horticultureweek.co.uk 14th August

Plant breeder, horticultural pioneer, one time MI5 suspect and owner
of Hill House Nursery Raymond Hubbard is celebrating 60 years in
horticulture this year.
Hubbard introduced commercial biological control in the 1960’s
building on his own experiments and with the help ob Lee Valley
horticultural station.
His correspondence with Russian botanists led MI5 to briefly suspect
him of spying after they mistook the use of horticultural terms for
code
Growing up on his family nursery in Essex, he entered the industry in
1948 at the age of 16 as a grower of salad crops.
Today he owns Hill House Nursery in Landscove, Devon which he runs
jointly with his son.
The firm crops more than 2000 varieties os nursery stock and Hubbard
has wone acclaim as a breeder and plant finder. Notable achievements
include Plectranthus cilatus ‘Sasha’, Phormium ‘Lord Jersey’,
Crocosmia ‘Krakatoa’, Dianthus ‘Old mother Hubbard’ and Nemesia
‘Bluebird’, which has sold more than 11 million plants, bred under
licence worldwide.
During his 60 year career he has only been away from horticulture to
complete his National service, during which he built an English
country garden for the officers mess in Egyptian Saraha Desert.

Jack Sidders Horticulture Week
14th August 2009

Last edited by kevin : 17-08-2009 at 03:01 PM Reason: Attribution link requested by Horticulture Week
Old 15-08-2009, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week 14th August

.................................................. .............................................

Well done

It's wonderful when a person's achievements are recognised. Had a wonderful
write up years back in the Hotel and Caterer magazine about my father. Makes
very good reading and proud to be related :-))

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 15-08-2009, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

*APPLAUSE*

Yes I agree That's JUST how I felt when I read the article about my father
in the Hotel and Caterer Magazine :-)))

Superb to be recognised, as my father was :-))

Old 15-08-2009, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message During his 60
year career he has only been away from horticulture to
complete his National service, during which he built an English
country garden for the officers mess in Egyptian Saraha Desert.

I missed out on National Service but one of my uni lecturers told me that a
few days before demob, he was ordered to plant tulip bulbs in a display at
the barracks. As there were two colours, he planted them to spell "Balls to
the C.O".
Graham

Old 15-08-2009, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message During his 60
year career he has only been away from horticulture to
complete his National service, during which he built an English
country garden for the officers mess in Egyptian Saraha Desert.

I missed out on National Service but one of my uni lecturers told me that
a few days before demob, he was ordered to plant tulip bulbs in a display
at the barracks. As there were two colours, he planted them to spell
"Balls to the C.O".
Graham

Terribly old story which comes from the time when there were German
Prisoners of War seconded to such as Gardening. The story there is of course
the Bulbs being planted to read "Heil Hitler"

Somewhat similar to the story of someone who has a friend whose neighbour's
milkman used to deliver to someone who was ripped off by a supermarket
pushing the prices of his supplier down and down and down until he went
bust!! But nobody ever actually 'knows' who it happened to.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 15-08-2009, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-15 15:48:31 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week 14th August

Plant breeder, horticultural pioneer, one time MI5 suspect and owner
of Hill House Nursery Raymond Hubbard is celebrating 60 years in
horticulture this year.
snip

That was very sweet of you, Dave! Ray's had a good 60 years and been
lucky to work at something he loves every day of his working life - except
maybe National Service. ;-))
--

Sacha

My father had a wonderful write up, but he missed Military Service because
he was doing vital war work.

National Service was a wonderful experience and should be brought back

Old 15-08-2009, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 07:48:31 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

[...]

What a wonderful story that is. A long, successful career and still
quietly and modestly enjoying it.
Such a refresshing change for sad old men living on stories of lies,
imagination and other peoples' achievements.
Old 15-08-2009, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fuschia" wrote in message
news

What a wonderful story that is. A long, successful career and still
quietly and modestly enjoying it.
Such a refresshing change for sad old men living on stories of lies,
imagination and other peoples' achievements.

Quite agree, but sad old women as well. They live off what bed they have
climbed into!!

Old 15-08-2009, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week 14th August

.................................................. ............................................

Well done

It's wonderful when a person's achievements are recognised. Had a
wonderful write up years back in the Hotel and Caterer magazine about my
father. Makes very good reading and proud to be related :-))

--

I'm sure he was wonderful but I must respectfully point out that this thread
isn't about your father.

mark

Old 15-08-2009, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Aug, 21:40, "mark" wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week 14th August

.................................................. ..........................*...................

Well done

It's wonderful when a person's achievements are recognised. Had a
wonderful write up years back in the Hotel and Caterer magazine about my
father. Makes very good reading and proud to be related :-))

--

I'm sure he was wonderful but I must respectfully point out that this thread
isn't about your father.
It's about a gardener in a gardening newsgroup. Do you see the connection?

mark

Mike, I'm sure you're very proud of your father but he is not the
topic of this thread despite your repeated posting, why dont you post
your item with relivent article under your own heading.
Many of us are proud of our fathers achievments, my father was in the
RFA and was in 2nd world war had 2 tankers he was captain off sunk
under him in less than 1 year in the north sea, was in the Korean war
on tankers, was on amunition ship for Suez and was also involved in
Christmas Island Tests.
But this thread is about Raymond Hubbard, lets keep it that way.

David Hill
Old 16-08-2009, 06:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

Many of us are proud of our fathers achievments, my father was in the
RFA and was in 2nd world war had 2 tankers he was captain off sunk
under him in less than 1 year in the north sea, was in the Korean war
on tankers, was on amunition ship for Suez and was also involved in
Christmas Island Tests.

.................................................. .....................................

Some achievement. Were the RFA Ships crewed by the Chinese at that time as
well?

Ammunition ships didn't stand much of a chance if they were hit :-((

Old 16-08-2009, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for those kind remarks. He's worked hard and non-stop all his
life and still does, every day, at 76, rarely taking a day off. I know
that e.g. Charlie, Dave Hill and Dave Poole, other nurserymen here, do
or did the same. We've met them all at various times and it's a
fascination to me - the novice and newcomer - to hear the stories!
It's a hard life, physically, but for those that love it, it seems
there's no choice!

Such a refresshing change for sad old men living on stories of lies,
imagination and other peoples' achievements.

It's a source of great pride to me to be married to such a man who is
admired in his own profession, liked and admired by many and makes no
fanfare about it and is never boastful.

In spite of all we hear in the news, there are still many really good
people around. They just keep their heads down and get on with useful,
productive lives. They have no need to make a fuss.

"Empty vessels make the most sound"
Old 16-08-2009, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 15, 4:57*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

*APPLAUSE*

Yes I agree That's JUST how I felt when I read the article about my father
in the Hotel and Caterer Magazine :-)))

Superb to be recognised, as my father was :-))

--
Mike

The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Associationwww.rneba.org.uk
Luxury Self Catering on the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Mike: this thread was about the person named in the subject line. I
never knew any of this and I do not really know Sacha or her husband
but it was interesting to know this. You really do come across as a
sad old git sometimes.

With kindest possible regards
Des

Old 16-08-2009, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:48:33 +0100, "'Mike'"

On 2009-08-15 15:48:31 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week 14th August

Plant breeder, horticultural pioneer, one time MI5 suspect and owner
of Hill House Nursery Raymond Hubbard is celebrating 60 years in
horticulture this year.
snip

That was very sweet of you, Dave! Ray's had a good 60 years and been
lucky to work at something he loves every day of his working life - except
maybe National Service. ;-))
--

Sacha

My father had a wonderful write up, but he missed Military Service because
he was doing vital war work.

If your father could see how you behave here he would be ashamed of
you.

National Service was a wonderful experience and should be brought back

It doesnt seem to have done much good for you. Grow up man.