Old 17-08-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raymond |Hubbard

On 2009-08-15 16:51:54 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Dave Hill wrote:
This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week 14th August

Plant breeder, horticultural pioneer, one time MI5 suspect and owner
of Hill House Nursery Raymond Hubbard is celebrating 60 years in
horticulture this year.
snip

*APPLAUSE*

Thank you! *I'll pass that on!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

I *love* the story about being suspected of spying because botanical
jargon was mistaken for code by MI5 - it makes for a supremely cool
dinnertime conversation piece today, but I wonder how traumatic the
whole thing was at the time?
Anyway, well done to your husband - nice write up.

Caít()
Old 17-08-2009, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-15 16:51:54 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Dave Hill wrote:
This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week 14th August

Plant breeder, horticultural pioneer, one time MI5 suspect and owner
of Hill House Nursery Raymond Hubbard is celebrating 60 years in
horticulture this year.
snip
*APPLAUSE*

Thank you! *I'll pass that on!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

I *love* the story about being suspected of spying because botanical
jargon was mistaken for code by MI5 - it makes for a supremely cool
dinnertime conversation piece today, but I wonder how traumatic the
whole thing was at the time?
Anyway, well done to your husband - nice write up.

Caít()

Thanks, Cat, I'll pass that on. *The spying thing was very funny and I
don't think it worried him too much at the time - he's a bit too
laidback for that. *;-)) * He was exchanging telegrams with
horticultural experts on the use of e.g. encarsia and several telegrams
sometimes came and went in a day. *The local postmistress in their
small Essex village was so excited about receiving telegrams from
Russia that she used to deliver each one herself. *I think it was quite
a brief episode and of course, he knew nothing about it until it was
over. *But I do love the idea of my husband as a kind of horticultural
007. *;-))

Fighting his arch rival Gold Tuber....

:-)
Caít()
Old 19-08-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week 14th August

Plant breeder, horticultural pioneer, one time MI5 suspect and owner
of Hill House Nursery Raymond Hubbard is celebrating 60 years in
horticulture this year.
Hubbard introduced commercial biological control in the 1960’s
building on his own experiments and with the help ob Lee Valley
horticultural station.
His correspondence with Russian botanists led MI5 to briefly suspect
him of spying after they mistook the use of horticultural terms for
code
Growing up on his family nursery in Essex, he entered the industry in
1948 at the age of 16 as a grower of salad crops.
Today he owns Hill House Nursery in Landscove, Devon which he runs
jointly with his son.
The firm crops more than 2000 varieties os nursery stock and Hubbard
has wone acclaim as a breeder and plant finder. Notable achievements
include Plectranthus cilatus ‘Sasha’, Phormium ‘Lord Jersey’,
Crocosmia ‘Krakatoa’, Dianthus ‘Old mother Hubbard’ and Nemesia
‘Bluebird’, which has sold more than 11 million plants, bred under
licence worldwide.
During his 60 year career he has only been away from horticulture to
complete his National service, during which he built an English
country garden for the officers mess in Egyptian Saraha Desert.

Jack Sidders Horticulture Week
14th August 2009

I'm a bit late in on this, but my warmest congrats to Ray. It's great
in these times when 'talking the talk' is all that seems to matter to
see recognition of someone who 'walks the walk'

--
Rod

My real address is

Old 19-08-2009, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-19 18:26:11 +0100, "Rod" said:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
This is a transcription of an item in Horticulture Week 14th August

Plant breeder, horticultural pioneer, one time MI5 suspect and owner
of Hill House Nursery Raymond Hubbard is celebrating 60 years in
horticulture this year.
snip
I'm a bit late in on this, but my warmest congrats to Ray. It's great
in these times when 'talking the talk' is all that seems to matter to
see recognition of someone who 'walks the walk'

That's really kind of you, Rod. *He's very touched to have heard of
congrats from people he's never met but who love gardening, too. *;-) *
Actually, he's done a very few, small telly bits and on one local show
he wore a rather distinctive jersey. *A few days later, he was mildly
flattered when a woman came up to him in a local shop and said "Oh, I
saw you on tv the other night". *Before he could be seriously overcome
with this evidence of fame, she continued "I didn't recognise you but I
knew the sweater". *;-))
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Just tuning in tonight, I'm off to bed in a few minutes and I will be
moving to the North side of the house. Phew, we have had 40 plus here
for days, I am sure the well will run dry, I am watering twice a day,
well I'm not as I am bit under the weather, but Edward is and
friends. Welcome home Sacha, I hope the garden you and Ray looked
at; is a work in progress? Your Ray is needed here, Chez Moi, when
are you both coming? Lets take it to email?

Jxx
Old 20-08-2009, 04:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message

we have had 40 plus here
for days, I am sure the well will run dry, I am watering twice a day,

It's OK to water pot plants twice a day but make sure that the same area
isn't watered twice a day because all you are doing is encouraging shallow
rooting.

In temps like that, you need to water infrequently, deeply and mulch, mulch
and mulch.

Old 20-08-2009, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-19 22:42:48 +0100, Judith in France

*
[...]

Too early to tell yet but it will be lovely to do if it's decided upon.
*It's a lovely old garden that needs some renovation and it would be a
joy to bring it back up to full strength.
It was very sunny and hot in Jersey, especially today when we were told
26C was expected. *I never did look to see if it actually happened but
Derek might be able to tell us. *Sitting out on a terrace before lunch
today my arms started to tan much more, though years ago I was told by
a doctor friend that the hole in Appleton's layer accounts for some of
that. *Derek might know about that, too. *I've never worried too much
about it having been born and grown up in the CIs, I just took what was
coming. * Landing back in Exeter tonight we have sticky and hot - the
sea breezes of the CIs have a lot to recommend them, IMO!

*Your Ray is needed here, Chez Moi, when
are you both coming? *Lets take it to email?

Jxx

Not this year, I fear - we seem to be getting increasingly booked up
until Christmas, though in a very nice way!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

I haven't been to the CI for some time but loved Guernsey and Sark, I
wonder if it has changed? I look forward to a few pics of the garden
in due course?

Judith
Old 20-08-2009, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:05:10 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Guernsey has changed a bit over the years but not half as much as
Jersey. Sark has changed very little, really.

Went to the CI in the late 70's - sailing with my friend in his yacht.
Didn't like Jersey much. Alderney and Guernsey were fine. Sark was
*wonderful*. One of those great moments in my life - I could have stayed
there forever :-)

Also found a little island called Iles Chausey. Fine but the pub closed
when the last ferry left for Granville :-( Anchored off there for the night
and left the next morning for the sail back to Ramsgate.

Memories :-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton