Old 18-08-2009, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fruit pruning Qs

After a web search there seems to be a fair bit of conflicting advice
so I wonder if any posters here would tell me what they think about
pruning:-

redcurrants

(is that two words?). This fruited a couple of months ago. I realise
I should have asked the question then.

Apricot tree.

Fruiting now finished. Good crop of indifferent tasting fruit. About
10 feet tall with quite a few very long dead-straight branches.

Rasberries.

Fruit finished about 1 month ago.

Could anyone offer some simple rules of thumb?

Many thanks..

Old 18-08-2009, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bob wrote:
After a web search there seems to be a fair bit of conflicting advice
so I wonder if any posters here would tell me what they think about
pruning:-

redcurrants

(is that two words?). This fruited a couple of months ago. I realise
I should have asked the question then.

Frankly, they don't need much pruning - they fruit on old wood so there's
no need to encourage new growth. Prune late winter just to remove any
damaged branches, to remove crossed branches and a to maintain a "open"
bush (so air can circulate freely to discourage disease).

Apricot tree.

Fruiting now finished. Good crop of indifferent tasting fruit. About
10 feet tall with quite a few very long dead-straight branches.

Rasberries.

Fruit finished about 1 month ago.

These are Summer fruiting raspberries:

Prune out all the canes that had fruit on them. Do it now or in
early autumn. Leave the new canes that have grown this year, that will
not have had any fruit on them - these will fruit next summer.

Autunm Fruiting raspberries:

cut all canes in Jan/Feb - most likely all canes will have fruited.

The very simple rule for ALL raspberries is to cut out the cane when it
has finished fruiting.

Old 18-08-2009, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:31:48 GMT, (Jim Jackson)
wrote:

bob wrote:
[...]

Ok - will do as you say.
Much obliged - and for the redcurrant advice too.