Old 24-08-2009, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Veg - Pea "Bloom" and Further Planting

Hi all

Seem to be getting reasonable-to-good results from most crops this year
(only a small garden plot in yorkshire ~ 10 sq metres).
The peas (Onward variety IIRC) have developed a white powdery covering - any
ideas what this is?

What can I plant once the peas and potatoes are gone? Any veg still
suitable for planting at this time of year which will mature before/over
winter?

TIA

Phil

Old 24-08-2009, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote
Seem to be getting reasonable-to-good results from most crops this year
(only a small garden plot in yorkshire ~ 10 sq metres).
The peas (Onward variety IIRC) have developed a white powdery covering -
any ideas what this is?

What can I plant once the peas and potatoes are gone? Any veg still
suitable for planting at this time of year which will mature before/over
winter?

It's mildew and caused by lack of water usually, Onward should be going over
now anyway as it's usually used as an early pea.

Other than salad crops I can't think of anything except the Garlic will need
to be planted in a month or so.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-08-2009, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bud Bud is offline

TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Seem to be getting reasonable-to-good results from most crops this year
(only a small garden plot in yorkshire ~ 10 sq metres). The peas (Onward
variety IIRC) have developed a white powdery covering - any ideas what
this is?

Powdery mildew. Don't think it hurts the peas inside but it will spread
to the leaves too. Maybe a bit of powdery sulfur will kill it off.

What can I plant once the peas and potatoes are gone? Any veg still
suitable for planting at this time of year which will mature before/over
winter?

TIA

Phil

Don't know what the weather is like there, Phil. You may be able to get
the spinach started for next year and some onions by seed and garlic.
Doesn't matter if the corms or the seeds start to shoot up, they'll
survive the winter. Don't forget to prepare the soil first. Add some bone
powder for the bulbs too.

Tried it here in SW Idaho and we get some harsh winters at times and the
plants have survived.
--
signature goes here
Old 25-08-2009, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bud" wrote

Don't know what the weather is like there, Phil. You may be able to get
the spinach started for next year and some onions by seed and garlic.
Doesn't matter if the corms or the seeds start to shoot up, they'll
survive the winter. Don't forget to prepare the soil first. Add some bone
powder for the bulbs too.

Tried it here in SW Idaho and we get some harsh winters at times and the
plants have survived.
--

Thanks Bob and Bud

Will pop out for some seeds this weekend

Phil

first sweet pea bloom stuart noble United Kingdom 3 28-05-2012 09:58 AM
Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Further thoughts on Gary Allen's pond disaster Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 0 18-08-2003 03:03 AM
Further thoughts on Gary Allen's pond disaster Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 0 18-08-2003 02:55 AM
Fig tree - further advice appreciated! Duncan Langford United Kingdom 5 07-05-2003 11:08 AM