Old 28-08-2009, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping :- Sweet pea experts

We have a 'wall' of sweet pea plants that have had a GLORIOUS display of
coloured flowers, still displaying but a bit past their best. Have had a
lot of hover flies around them and there has been a lot of pollinating
going on. Now we are being presented by mange tout things but they are
'furry'. I take it these are the seed pods of the sweet peas should
these be taken of and dried or left in situ or ...? Any sweet peas we
are likely to plant next year will be grown from plugs/bought seeds so
do we actually want these pods for anything?
Old 28-08-2009, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-28 17:27:11 +0100, soup said:

We have a 'wall' of sweet pea plants that have had a GLORIOUS display
of coloured flowers, still displaying but a bit past their best. Have
had a lot of hover flies around them and there has been a lot of
pollinating going on. Now we are being presented by mange tout things
but they are 'furry'. I take it these are the seed pods of the sweet
peas should these be taken of and dried or left in situ or ...? Any
sweet peas we are likely to plant next year will be grown from
plugs/bought seeds so do we actually want these pods for anything?

Unless they're species sweet peas (like Lathyrus matucana) they're
unlikely to come true from seed. You could keep a few ripe pods for
fun and interest but otherwise, there's no reason to do so. But if you
want to keep the flowers coming, cut off the seed pods straight away.
We grow Lathyrus matucana which I am particularly fond of, so I'm going
to keep some seed from those and see what happens.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-08-2009, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-28 17:27:11 +0100, soup said:

[...]

Hello Sacha, hope you are well. I always understood that sweet peas came
true from seed because of the way they were pollinated. Is that not correct
then?

Robert
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 28-08-2009, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-28 19:30:38 +0100, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"

On 2009-08-28 17:27:11 +0100, soup said:

[...]

I may be wrong but AIUI they don't do their best or produce good forms
from collected seed and may have hybridised. I'm most willing to be
corrected but that's what I learned some long years ago. I've only
tried once from saved seed and got some very puny flowers of wishywashy
colouring. Certainly we buy our seeds in every year and start off with
new plants, except for me messing about with the species.

Old 29-08-2009, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 2009-08-28 17:27:11 +0100, soup said:

[...]

It is certainly true that when the two halves of the flower when pushed
apart by a bee entering pollen is placed on the stigma straight from
the stamens and any pollen on the bee is unlikely to get a look in but it
can and does occasionally happen, also of course the strain of pea being
grown may not be seed stable and even when self pollinated will revert to
something else. But most of the older sweet peas can have the seed
collected and you get exactly the same thing the next year
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 29-08-2009, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-29 10:24:26 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

snip

ut most of the older sweet peas can have the seed
collected and you get exactly the same thing the next year

Would that include the Spencer varieties, Charlie?

Old 29-08-2009, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
It is certainly true that when the two halves of the flower when
pushed apart by a bee entering pollen is placed on the stigma
straight from the stamens and any pollen on the bee is unlikely to
get a look in but it can and does occasionally happen, also of course
the strain of pea being grown may not be seed stable and even when
self pollinated will revert to something else. But most of the older
sweet peas can have the seed collected and you get exactly the same
thing the next year

Thanks for that! It was fascinating!!

O learning every day!

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Sowing sweet pea seeds now MCC United Kingdom 9 02-10-2003 08:02 PM
Sweet Pea Trials Faye United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
sweet pea trials Graham Wells United Kingdom 1 14-04-2003 08:08 AM
Sweet Pea Trials+Gardeners World janet.bennett United Kingdom 2 13-04-2003 02:44 PM