Old 02-09-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Figs propogation

Can anybody suggest a method of taking cuttings and making them root

I have tried at most times of the year with no success " variety brown
Turkey"

TIA ......................Leslie

Old 02-09-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Therefore writes
Can anybody suggest a method of taking cuttings and making them root

I have tried at most times of the year with no success " variety brown
Turkey"

Try air layering. Works very easily.
--
Kay
Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Therefore" wrote in message
. ..
Can anybody suggest a method of taking cuttings and making them root

I have tried at most times of the year with no success " variety brown
Turkey"

I had some success when I tried this some years ago, taking 'young' wood
cuttings, about this time of year, I think, rooting in water indoors, and
then potting on.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:43:17 +0100, "Therefore"
wrote:

Can anybody suggest a method of taking cuttings and making them root

I have tried at most times of the year with no success " variety brown
Turkey"

A few years ago, in Autumn, I broke some small brances of current
year's growth from a wild tree growing wild on the banks of the river
Avon in Bristol. I stuck them in a pot in the garden and forgot them.
Next year I found that 2 were growing. No technique there, just luck

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.
Talking

Hi therefore, Given the current weather conditions, now would be a perfect time to take cuttings. In a deep tray or pot of 50/50 sharp sand and medium sieved peat mixed, take the top 6" of the current years growth and remove the lower leaves, leaving the top leaves -which should be reduced by half with a sharp pair of scissors (to reduce transpiration) You may use rooting powder if you have it but it is not essential. insert cuttings to about halfway and thoroughly water and place out of the sun either in a home made polythene tent or ideally on some bottom heat if you have one of those electric propagators ( but not essential) As I say do this now, avoiding leaf-fall or, alternatively leave until after leaf fall and take full hardwood cuttings, same as before but take slightly longer cuttings, inserting them 3/4 of the cutting length into a trench outside filled with the 50/50 peat and grit mix, leave until the early spring when they should then be rooted.
Best of luck,
Kind regards, Lannerman.