Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What kind of worms?

On Sep 9, 11:04*am, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
Tiger worms. *They are not the same as garden worms. A local fishing
shop wanted the earth (!) for a box of them. They are stripy.
The best place to get them free, apart from Kay's compost heap, is a
good pile of WRM.

WRM ?

--

In gardening circles, it means well rotted manure. Fresh manure is
smelly and not so useful in the soil (to begin with) and plants may
Old 09-09-2009, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:14:43 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

Perhaps you could sell your stripey worms to the local fishing shop.

Now why hadn't I thought of that!!!

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

All my worms seem to have died
after I acquired one of these wormeries with several trays,
and transferred my compost from my previous wormery
in a dustbin-like container, with a tap at the bottom.

Hmm. Make sure rain cannot get in, that you feed them appropriately
and drain off the fluid often otherwise they'll drown.
If you already do this, I've no idea why they've died. Ask the
company you got the wormery from if you're doing something wrong.

I can also pick up worms from my compost heap like living spaghetti,
as K says.
Thousands.

I too had thousands of worms before - very long thin ones -
but as I said they seem to have died.
I followed the instructions provided with the multi-tray Can-O-Worms.
This has a tray at the bottom to catch fluid,
so I don't think the worms drowned.
There are now a large number of flies in the wormery.
I'm thinking perhaps I should clear out what is in the wormery,
and start again.

There's no point in starting again unless you get to the bottom of the
problem why your worms died in the first place, it will just happen again.
Are they too hot? Make sure the wormery is in shady place at noon. Do they
have enough to eat?
Other than that I don't know.
I have a compost heap with lots of healthy worms in, you don't need much
land to start one. 12 sq ft.