Old 04-09-2009, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default What kind of worms?

Des Higgins writes
On Sep 4, 1:38*pm, K wrote:
Des Higgins writes

Our compost is not great but it is functional (gets rid of peelings
and garden waste and makes stuff that can be dug in). In winter, ours
tends to sit there in a soggy clammy mess. It still works.

Ours is much the same. But the result is something which is far better
than our normal clay soil (we are bounded on one side by something
referred to on the Tithe map as the @clay field' and on the other by a
former brickworks). I leave t on top in a 6 inch layer - good side
effect s that weeds are much easier to pull out.

I don't suppose you have thought of bottling the urine as K's patented
compost accelerator?

I would hate to have to commit to a production level that I might not be
able to achieve ;-)

--
Kay
Old 04-09-2009, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
K wrote:
Des Higgins writes

I don't suppose you have thought of bottling the urine as K's patented
compost accelerator?

I would hate to have to commit to a production level that I might not be
able to achieve ;-)

No problem. Just buy the appropriate quantity of beer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 4, 3:00*pm, wrote:
In article ,

K wrote:
Des Higgins writes

I don't suppose you have thought of bottling the urine as K's patented
compost accelerator?

I would hate to have to commit to a production level that I might not be
able to achieve ;-)

No problem. *Just buy the appropriate quantity of beer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

As moghouse pointed out; it is called Fosters Lager.
You bypass the kidneys; just pour it on the compost heap straight from
the tinny.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
K wrote:
Des Higgins writes

I don't suppose you have thought of bottling the urine as K's patented
compost accelerator?

I would hate to have to commit to a production level that I might not be
able to achieve ;-)

No problem. Just buy the appropriate quantity of beer.

Does it not have to be errrrmm processed before it is added?

Old 04-09-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I was told here some time ago
that the worms provided with wormeries
are the same as the worms anglers use.

When I went to my locl angling shop and requested worms,
I was asked whether I wanted "rag worms",
which I gathered are for sea angling, or "garden worms".

Which would be most appropriate for a wormery?

If you have enough garden, start a compost heap directly on the soil. All
the worms you want will just arrive ;-)

Old 04-09-2009, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
K wrote:

Tiger worms from an angling shop. I suspect he really meant tiger worms,
not garden worms.

But you should be able to get them free from some humus rich soil. They
breed vary rapidly in the right conditions. I can pick them up in
handfuls from my compost heap, like living spaghetti.

All my worms seem to have died
after I acquired one of these wormeries with several trays,
and transferred my compost from my previous wormery
in a dustbin-like container, with a tap at the bottom.

Hmm. Make sure rain cannot get in, that you feed them appropriately and
drain off the fluid often otherwise they'll drown.
If you already do this, I've no idea why they've died. Ask the company you
got the wormery from if you're doing something wrong.

I can also pick up worms from my compost heap like living spaghetti, as K
says.
Thousands.

Tina

Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

All my worms seem to have died
after I acquired one of these wormeries with several trays,
and transferred my compost from my previous wormery
in a dustbin-like container, with a tap at the bottom.

Hmm. Make sure rain cannot get in, that you feed them appropriately and
drain off the fluid often otherwise they'll drown.
If you already do this, I've no idea why they've died. Ask the company
you got the wormery from if you're doing something wrong.

I can also pick up worms from my compost heap like living spaghetti, as K
says.
Thousands.

I too had thousands of worms before - very long thin ones -
but as I said they seem to have died.
I followed the instructions provided with the multi-tray Can-O-Worms.
This has a tray at the bottom to catch fluid,
so I don't think the worms drowned.
There are now a large number of flies in the wormery.
I'm thinking perhaps I should clear out what is in the wormery,
and start again.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 05-09-2009, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
moghouse wrote
On Sep 4, 1:50*pm, Des Higgins wrote:

I don't suppose you have thought of bottling the urine as K's patented
compost accelerator?-

Too late , they are already selling it under the name of Fosters Lager.

Re-labelling it as a compost accelerator would at least save some poor
soul from having to drink it.
--
Alan
Old 06-09-2009, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Timothy Murphy wrote in news:h7qndo$ka9$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

I was told here some time ago
that the worms provided with wormeries
are the same as the worms anglers use.

When I went to my locl angling shop and requested worms,
I was asked whether I wanted "rag worms",
which I gathered are for sea angling, or "garden worms".

Which would be most appropriate for a wormery?

Just to let you know, rag worms are used for sea fishing and are of no use
to you as they are harvested from sea shores under the sand and are "salt
water" variety.

"Garden worms" are what you need, and there are many different types.
Dig some from your garden and put them in your compost heap.
They breed quickly and you will never be without them.

Look here if you want to know more
http://www.campbelltown.sa.gov.au/we...ZWSA_worms.pdf

Hope this helps
Part_No
Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
I was told here some time ago
that the worms provided with wormeries
are the same as the worms anglers use.

When I went to my locl angling shop and requested worms,
I was asked whether I wanted "rag worms",
which I gathered are for sea angling, or "garden worms".

Which would be most appropriate for a wormery?

You don't need to buy them if the stuff is in contact with the soil it
will get full of the correct sort of worms all by its self
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Picture of the bin on the earth

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=OQFDHPQP

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 08-09-2009, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:13:27 +0100, K wrote:

mark writes

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I was told here some time ago
that the worms provided with wormeries
are the same as the worms anglers use.

When I went to my locl angling shop and requested worms,
I was asked whether I wanted "rag worms",
which I gathered are for sea angling, or "garden worms".

Which would be most appropriate for a wormery?

--

Tiger worms from an angling shop. I suspect he really meant tiger worms, not
garden worms.

But you should be able to get them free from some humus rich soil. They
breed vary rapidly in the right conditions. I can pick them up in
handfuls from my compost heap, like living spaghetti.

From what I've read about wormeries, the worms are called Brandling or
Tiger worms. They are not the same as garden worms. A local fishing
shop wanted the earth (!) for a box of them. They are stripy.
The best place to get them free, apart from Kay's compost heap, is a
good pile of WRM. When I had manure delivered parts of the pile were
seething with these stripy worms.
However, I've never had much success with wormeries either!

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:13:27 +0100, K wrote:

mark writes

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I was told here some time ago
that the worms provided with wormeries
are the same as the worms anglers use.

When I went to my locl angling shop and requested worms,
I was asked whether I wanted "rag worms",
which I gathered are for sea angling, or "garden worms".

Which would be most appropriate for a wormery?

--

Tiger worms from an angling shop. I suspect he really meant tiger worms,
not
garden worms.

But you should be able to get them free from some humus rich soil. They
breed vary rapidly in the right conditions. I can pick them up in
handfuls from my compost heap, like living spaghetti.

From what I've read about wormeries, the worms are called Brandling or
Tiger worms. They are not the same as garden worms. A local fishing
shop wanted the earth (!) for a box of them. They are stripy.
The best place to get them free, apart from Kay's compost heap, is a
good pile of WRM. When I had manure delivered parts of the pile were
seething with these stripy worms.
However, I've never had much success with wormeries either!

Perhaps you could sell your stripey worms to the local fishing shop.

mark