Old 07-09-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default potato forks?

Hello,

I have seen potato forks in the garden centre. They claims that the
flattened tynes prevent you from spearing your potatoes. Is that true?
Surely if you are unlucky enough to push it directly onto a potato it
will still spear it?

TIA
Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Fred wrote:

I have seen potato forks in the garden centre. They claims that the
flattened tynes prevent you from spearing your potatoes. Is that true?
Surely if you are unlucky enough to push it directly onto a potato it
will still spear it?

Right. They may bruise the potatoes slightly less in heavy soil,
but that is all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

I have seen potato forks in the garden centre. They claims that the
flattened tynes prevent you from spearing your potatoes. Is that
true?
Surely if you are unlucky enough to push it directly onto a potato
it
will still spear it?

TIA

They're OK, but as you've already suggested they're no substitute for
due care. Spearing spuds isn't bad luck, it's lack of care.
--
Rod

My real address is

Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

I have seen potato forks in the garden centre. They claims that the
flattened tynes prevent you from spearing your potatoes. Is that true?
Surely if you are unlucky enough to push it directly onto a potato it
will still spear it?

TIA

They're OK, but as you've already suggested they're no substitute for due
care. Spearing spuds isn't bad luck, it's lack of care.
--

Only if you have Xray vision. There's always a spud where you weren't
expecting one. But it's not only direct spearing that's the problem. If you

In a country museum near here, there are various potato forks, including one
with about 10 tines, which are closer together than we are familiar with,
one with ball ends to the tines, and one with a bar across the end of the
tines.

Steve

[1] Or the reality for most of us.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:

In a country museum near here, there are various potato forks, including one
with about 10 tines, which are closer together than we are familiar with,
one with ball ends to the tines, and one with a bar across the end of the
tines.

Whilst discussing forks, I have, without any knowledge of its
original source or purpose, a fork which has tines of the usual
form and length, but the whole is much wider than usual, about
520 mm, and the end two tines are raised slightly, like the sides
of a shovel.

It is a little too frail to see proper work now, but I can't
think what it would have been used for.

Any suggestions?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:

In a country museum near here, there are various potato forks, including
one
with about 10 tines, which are closer together than we are familiar with,
one with ball ends to the tines, and one with a bar across the end of the
tines.

Whilst discussing forks, I have, without any knowledge of its
original source or purpose, a fork which has tines of the usual
form and length, but the whole is much wider than usual, about
520 mm, and the end two tines are raised slightly, like the sides
of a shovel.

It is a little too frail to see proper work now, but I can't
think what it would have been used for.

Any suggestions?

That sounds like yet another form of potato fork to me.

Steve

Old 08-09-2009, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-08 12:43:17 +0100, Chris J Dixon said:

shazzbat wrote:

In a country museum near here, there are various potato forks, including one
with about 10 tines, which are closer together than we are familiar with,
one with ball ends to the tines, and one with a bar across the end of the
tines.

Whilst discussing forks, I have, without any knowledge of its
original source or purpose, a fork which has tines of the usual
form and length, but the whole is much wider than usual, about
520 mm, and the end two tines are raised slightly, like the sides
of a shovel.

It is a little too frail to see proper work now, but I can't
think what it would have been used for.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Mucking out fork?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-09-2009, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 11:08:52 +0100, Fred
wrote:

Hello,

I have seen potato forks in the garden centre. They claims that the
flattened tynes prevent you from spearing your potatoes. Is that true?
Surely if you are unlucky enough to push it directly onto a potato it
will still spear it?

TIA

I worked on a farm in the dim and distant past -and the potato forks
(which were the size of shovels) had what looked like half-inch ball
bearings on the end of each tine.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 16:09:58 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 14:40:25 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
. ..
shazzbat wrote:

In a country museum near here, there are various potato forks, including
one
with about 10 tines, which are closer together than we are familiar with,
one with ball ends to the tines, and one with a bar across the end of the
tines.

Whilst discussing forks, I have, without any knowledge of its
original source or purpose, a fork which has tines of the usual
form and length, but the whole is much wider than usual, about
520 mm, and the end two tines are raised slightly, like the sides
of a shovel.

It is a little too frail to see proper work now, but I can't
think what it would have been used for.

Any suggestions?

That sounds like yet another form of potato fork to me.

Manure/bedding fork?

Fork knows.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹