Old 07-09-2009, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default potato blight

Hello,

I'm in the Midlands. Has anyone suffered from blight (tomato or
potato) this year?

A friend said he lost his tomatoes. he went away for a weekend and
when he came back they had gone. Could that have been blight?

I had problems with slugs last year so this year I planted kestrel and
Romano potatoes. One week they were growing nicely; the next week
there was nothing there! It was as if they had been stolen! I have dug
the ground and there are some tubers. Most are fine but there have
been a few that were mushy.

I don't know much about blight. Does this sound like it may have been
the cause? I've read a little via google and I understand it is
carried in the wind. Would polytunnels reduce the risk of blight?

I have also read that some people spray every couple of weeks. Do many
people here do that?

Finally, what varieties can you recommend that are blight and slug
resistant?

TIA
Old 07-09-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Fred
writes
Hello,

I'm in the Midlands. Has anyone suffered from blight (tomato or
potato) this year?

A friend said he lost his tomatoes. he went away for a weekend and
when he came back they had gone. Could that have been blight?

Almost certainly, if the fruit started turning brown instead of
ripening.

This happened to my plants, which are growing outside, and I Googled to
find the answer. Firstly, spraying with Bordeaux mixture (copper
sulphate and lime) early on in the season may prevent it.

Secondly, if you have the blight, remove all brown leaves and browning
fruit (and burn them - don't compost them), and spray the plant each day
for a week with a solution of Epsom salts.

I followed this routine and, while some of the fruit is still turning
brown, I have saved a lot of it. The plants are of about four different
varieties, and the cherry and plum varieties seemed to fare worse than
the Alicante and Moneymaker.

I have been looking after my neighbours' greenhouse while they are on
holiday, and their crop turned brown with blight almost overnight. The
damp conditions made it worse.

My wife has removed the brown bits from a lot of the unripe fruit and
used it in a variety of ways, but green tomato chutney has not yet been
necessary.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Last year blight destroyed my entire crop. This year I've grown Fantasico
and Ferline, outside, in the same compost as last year, and they're
blight-free so far. They're just starting to ripen. I grow them in outside
in pots.

KeithC

Old 07-09-2009, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roy Bailey wrote:
[...]

I live in North Staffordshire and have had blight here, almost certainly
that is what you have had. When you store your spuds throw out any
suspect, then periodically turn them out (I assume you will store them
in sacks) and remove more that have bound to have rotted. You will know
if any are going of just give the open sack a good sniff, yuck.
Subscribe to bligh****ch.co.uk they will send you periodic email telling
you if there is or likely to be blight in your area. To lated for this
year but should help next season.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith Cunningham"wrote ..
"Fred" wrote
[...]

We too are growing Fantasio, Ferline and also Legend tomatoes outside on the
allotment as usual this year.
Blight has struck our area and as usual the Ferline and the Fantasio toms
have shows slight signs of the disease but it doesn't spread from small
black patches on the leaves (looks a bit like Black Spot on Roses) and the
crop is superb with the remaining fruit ripening fast.
The Legend toms are excellent, big, soft deep red flesh and meaty, but most
of the plants are showing severe blight although the fruit are only partly
infected, and the ones not infected seem to be able to ripen despite the
damage to the plant. Anyway, we have had a very good crop, buckets full, and
there are a lot more to come.

The potatoes also got blight but were already going over due to the very dry
weather this summer so weren't too badly infected, also Kestral, Romano and
Victoria. We had a couple of Romano tubers with blight, more with slug
damage strangely, and a few Victoria. As always we are strict about what we
sack up, only the best, the undamaged, so should be OK but will have to
sniff in the sacks weekly to ensure we don't lose the lot.

We did try the Sarpo blight resistant ones a few years back but didn't think
the flavour was any good, not worth the effort. We'd rather buy some spuds
in Sainsbury's.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Keith Cunningham"wrote ..
"Fred" wrote

Big snippy

We did try the Sarpo blight resistant ones a few years back but
didn't think the flavour was any good, not worth the effort. We'd
rather buy some spuds in Sainsbury's.

Ahh....I'd been thinking of trying them next year
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 09-09-2009, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:48:16 +0100, Roy Bailey
wrote:

Almost certainly, if the fruit started turning brown instead of
ripening.

I don't know the exact details as it was a friend of a friend to be
precise.

I have been looking after my neighbours' greenhouse while they are on
holiday, and their crop turned brown with blight almost overnight. The
damp conditions made it worse.

I thought plants under glass escaped because the rain was kept off
them?