Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grass seed

Is it too late to be seeding a small area of grass?

--
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
realise you're wrong.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nitromax® wrote:
Is it too late to be seeding a small area of grass?

No, the ground will be warm enough to germinate the seed.
Don

--
Bold is Brown with the People's Purse. (loosely translated from a Welsh couplet "Hael yw Hywel ar bwrs y wlad")
Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-10 11:27:20 +0100, "Nitromax®" said:

Is it too late to be seeding a small area of grass?

No but it will help you to get started if you look at the group's FAQ
on germinating grass seed before sowing it. It's called repairing lawns
because there's another FAQ on sowing lawns but the repair method works
just as well for a whole lawn!
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawnrep.htm
Also the other FAQ is very helpful on both preparing and sowing a lawn
using a different method.
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawn.htm
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-09-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-10 11:27:20 +0100, "Nitromax®" said:

Is it too late to be seeding a small area of grass?

No but it will help you to get started if you look at the group's FAQ
on germinating grass seed before sowing it. It's called repairing
lawns because there's another FAQ on sowing lawns but the repair
method works just as well for a whole lawn!
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawnrep.htm
Also the other FAQ is very helpful on both preparing and sowing a lawn
using a different method.
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawn.htm

Thanks for the faq, but as it happens that is very close to
how I have been doing it.

I have been soaking the seed for 24hrs then mixing it with
a decent fine compost, leaving it again for another 24hrs.

It has then been sown on prepared soil but as yet I have
found no need for any kind of netting, the birds are well
fed elsewhere in the garden and leave the seed well alone.

The only trouble I am having is with worms, the little mound
they leave behind can ruin small areas of new grass if not
cleared.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitromax® View Post
Is it too late to be seeding a small area of grass?
It's the very best time of year to be doing it, but make sure you water it well if during dry spells.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-10 11:27:20 +0100, "Nitromax®" said:

Is it too late to be seeding a small area of grass?

No but it will help you to get started if you look at the group's FAQ
on germinating grass seed before sowing it. It's called repairing
lawns because there's another FAQ on sowing lawns but the repair
method works just as well for a whole lawn!
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawnrep.htm
Also the other FAQ is very helpful on both preparing and sowing a lawn
using a different method.
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawn.htm

Thanks for the faq, but as it happens that is very close to
how I have been doing it.

Then I'm sorry but I don't understand why you're asking if it's too
late to be seeding a small area of grass, if you've done that already?

I have been soaking the seed for 24hrs then mixing it with
a decent fine compost, leaving it again for another 24hrs.

It has then been sown on prepared soil but as yet I have
found no need for any kind of netting, the birds are well
fed elsewhere in the garden and leave the seed well alone.

So, if you've done that, why are you asking now if it's too late to sow
a lawn? I'm puzzled. You seem to have done something and *then* to be
asking if it's too late to have done it? Is that correct?

The only trouble I am having is with worms, the little mound
they leave behind can ruin small areas of new grass if not
cleared.

You didn't mention worms before but the one thing you do NOT want to be
without in your garden is worms. For your own garden's sake, don't try
to get rid of those. No worms = dead soil = unhappy plants and grass
is a plant. When the grass is fully grown and can safely be walked
on, mown etc. you can gently rake the worm casts back into the grass.
But worms are an indication of really, good, fertile, healthy soil.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-10 11:27:20 +0100, "Nitromax®" said:

Is it too late to be seeding a small area of grass?

No but it will help you to get started if you look at the group's
FAQ on germinating grass seed before sowing it. It's called
repairing lawns because there's another FAQ on sowing lawns but the
repair method works just as well for a whole lawn!
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawnrep.htm
Also the other FAQ is very helpful on both preparing and sowing a
lawn using a different method.
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawn.htm

Thanks for the faq, but as it happens that is very close to
how I have been doing it.

Then I'm sorry but I don't understand why you're asking if it's too
late to be seeding a small area of grass, if you've done that already?

Quite simple really, I have been repairing the lawn in stages
but wondered if it was too late in the season to continue.
Very simple when you think about it.

I have been soaking the seed for 24hrs then mixing it with
a decent fine compost, leaving it again for another 24hrs.

It has then been sown on prepared soil but as yet I have
found no need for any kind of netting, the birds are well
fed elsewhere in the garden and leave the seed well alone.

So, if you've done that, why are you asking now if it's too late to
sow a lawn? I'm puzzled. You seem to have done something and *then*
to be asking if it's too late to have done it? Is that correct?

See my previous answer and read my op again, nowhere did I state
that I had not previously seeded earlier in the season. The question
was simple and to the point, why are you trying to read into it
something else??

The only trouble I am having is with worms, the little mound
they leave behind can ruin small areas of new grass if not
cleared.

You didn't mention worms before but the one thing you do NOT want to
be without in your garden is worms. For your own garden's sake,
don't try to get rid of those. No worms = dead soil = unhappy plants
and grass is a plant. When the grass is fully grown and can safely
be walked on, mown etc. you can gently rake the worm casts back into
the grass. But worms are an indication of really, good, fertile,
healthy soil.

Did I say I was removing the worms, why would I do that?
Read what I wrote and you will see that I was referring to
removing the coil of earth they leave behind.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-10 11:27:20 +0100, "Nitromax®" said:

Is it too late to be seeding a small area of grass?

No but it will help you to get started if you look at the group's
FAQ on germinating grass seed before sowing it. It's called
repairing lawns because there's another FAQ on sowing lawns but the
repair method works just as well for a whole lawn!
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawnrep.htm
Also the other FAQ is very helpful on both preparing and sowing a
lawn using a different method.
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawn.htm

Thanks for the faq, but as it happens that is very close to
how I have been doing it.

Then I'm sorry but I don't understand why you're asking if it's too
late to be seeding a small area of grass, if you've done that already?

Quite simple really, I have been repairing the lawn in stages
but wondered if it was too late in the season to continue.
Very simple when you think about it.

Ah, you didn't say that so I thought you were only starting now.

I have been soaking the seed for 24hrs then mixing it with
a decent fine compost, leaving it again for another 24hrs.

It has then been sown on prepared soil but as yet I have
found no need for any kind of netting, the birds are well
fed elsewhere in the garden and leave the seed well alone.

So, if you've done that, why are you asking now if it's too late to
sow a lawn? I'm puzzled. You seem to have done something and *then*
to be asking if it's too late to have done it? Is that correct?

See my previous answer and read my op again, nowhere did I state
that I had not previously seeded earlier in the season. The question
was simple and to the point, why are you trying to read into it
something else??

I'm not trying to read anything into it Not being a mind-reader I had
no idea you'd already seeded some grass - hence my puzzlement.

The only trouble I am having is with worms, the little mound
they leave behind can ruin small areas of new grass if not
cleared.

You didn't mention worms before but the one thing you do NOT want to
be without in your garden is worms. For your own garden's sake,
don't try to get rid of those. No worms = dead soil = unhappy plants
and grass is a plant. When the grass is fully grown and can safely
be walked on, mown etc. you can gently rake the worm casts back into
the grass. But worms are an indication of really, good, fertile,
healthy soil.

Did I say I was removing the worms, why would I do that?
Read what I wrote and you will see that I was referring to
removing the coil of earth they leave behind.

You said the worms were a trouble and the mounds could ruin the grass
if not cleared. You didn't say you were clearing them and as we've had
people here who have asked how to get rid of worms, it seemed more
helpful to you to point out that worms are desirable things in the
garden. I'm sorry you've been troubled with the help offered to you.
It won't happen again.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Not really relevant to the thread,
but I put down some grass seed, both this year and last year,
and the entire crop was stolen by ants.
There were millions of ants, and each one carried away
one grass seed on its back.

Admittedly this was in Tuscany.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 11-09-2009, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 12:14:51 +0100, Timothy Murphy said:

Not really relevant to the thread,
but I put down some grass seed, both this year and last year,
and the entire crop was stolen by ants.
There were millions of ants, and each one carried away
one grass seed on its back.

Admittedly this was in Tuscany.

How bizarre! I've never heard of that before. Is your lawnmower still
there? ;-))

Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Not really relevant to the thread,
but I put down some grass seed, both this year and last year,
and the entire crop was stolen by ants.
There were millions of ants, and each one carried away
one grass seed on its back.

Admittedly this was in Tuscany.

How bizarre! I've never heard of that before. Is your lawnmower still
there?

I've never needed one, unfortunately.
Last year, after the ants eat every single seed,
I put down potatoes (to stop weeds),
and they did unbelievably well.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 12:55:04 +0100, Timothy Murphy said:

Sacha wrote:

Not really relevant to the thread,
but I put down some grass seed, both this year and last year,
and the entire crop was stolen by ants.
There were millions of ants, and each one carried away
one grass seed on its back.

Admittedly this was in Tuscany.

How bizarre! I've never heard of that before. Is your lawnmower still
there?

I've never needed one, unfortunately.
Last year, after the ants eat every single seed,
I put down potatoes (to stop weeds),
and they did unbelievably well.

Well, if you're going to try for another lawn, perhaps you'll have to
baffle the ants and lay turf instead!