Old 11-09-2009, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sticky white flies

A friend has a couple of indoor chilli plants both of which are
hosting and suffering from microscopically small flies, particularly
one which produces smallish hot red chillies.

She's got Doff green and black-fly killer. Does anyone know if this
is ok for things one intends to eat?

Does anyone have an effective home-spun remedy?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , bob wrote:
A friend has a couple of indoor chilli plants both of which are
hosting and suffering from microscopically small flies, particularly
one which produces smallish hot red chillies.

She's got Doff green and black-fly killer. Does anyone know if this
is ok for things one intends to eat?

Does anyone have an effective home-spun remedy?

I use Savona. Rape seed oil based gunk is also safe, but horribly
sticky. Or you can use washing up liquid in water (a bit stronger
than for washing up) and a squirt of methylated spirits. All work
and all are safe for immediate consumption.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-09-2009, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 20:25:50 +0100, K wrote:

writes
In article , bob wrote:
A friend has a couple of indoor chilli plants both of which are
hosting and suffering from microscopically small flies, particularly
one which produces smallish hot red chillies.

She's got Doff green and black-fly killer. Does anyone know if this
is ok for things one intends to eat?

Does anyone have an effective home-spun remedy?

I use Savona. Rape seed oil based gunk is also safe, but horribly
sticky. Or you can use washing up liquid in water (a bit stronger
than for washing up) and a squirt of methylated spirits. All work
and all are safe for immediate consumption.

If they're whitefly, then they take to the air at the slightest
disturbance. If the plants are small enough, take them outside each
morning and wave them around and disturb all the flies so they fly off.
If they're too big for that, each morning use the small upholstery brush
of the vacuum cleaner - make sure the suck is not so great as to damage
the leaves.

It's a few days since I saw the plants but I had the impression of
something cobwebby so not sure if this will do the trick but will pass
that info and hoover-tip back to my friend.

Many thanks.

Hover Flies v Yellow Sticky Alan Hutson United Kingdom 3 26-07-2010 03:59 PM
White 'flies' on my tomatoes ajr United Kingdom 15 20-10-2003 02:12 PM
tomatoes and white flies kronos408 Edible Gardening 3 19-07-2003 07:42 PM
White flies Howie Gardening 1 26-06-2003 12:44 AM
White flies in soil and on citrus Snooze Gardening 1 25-01-2003 02:02 PM