Old 13-09-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default In with the Worms.....follow on

Now it *might* be coincidence but as posted further down I added a couple of
hundred worms earlier in the week to my 1000l compo bin.
(Made from a 1000l plastic carboy with a tap. Cut the top off and inverted
it inside on a few bricks inside to make a reservoir at the bottom).

Today drained off 2 gallons of lovely brown (stinky) liquid from the bottom.
(Might have been assisted by rainwater)
Mixture of grass cuttings, horse poo, garden waste and shreddings, "some"
raw kitchen waste and the odd old egg shell or 10.

Use neat or dilute?

If dilute to what rate does anyone know?

Old 14-09-2009, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , R
writes
Now it *might* be coincidence but as posted further down I added a couple of
hundred worms earlier in the week to my 1000l compo bin.
(Made from a 1000l plastic carboy with a tap. Cut the top off and inverted
it inside on a few bricks inside to make a reservoir at the bottom).

Today drained off 2 gallons of lovely brown (stinky) liquid from the bottom.
(Might have been assisted by rainwater)
Mixture of grass cuttings, horse poo, garden waste and shreddings, "some"
raw kitchen waste and the odd old egg shell or 10.

Use neat or dilute?

If dilute to what rate does anyone know?

My wormery is pretty much an identical homemade design and has been
running successfully for over 10 years. The worms originally came from
a starter shovel or two from the main compost heap. The gorgeous liquid
that comes out - a surprising amount and not including rainwater -
doesn't smell though.

To be honest, it is this that is the main point of it for me - actual
compost production seems comparatively slow and as its not a huge thing,
there isn't a lot of it.

I've always used it diluted - but take no particular care over
proportions. I've no idea what the optimum is (and have no idea of what
fertilising ingredients/proportions it has).

I'd guess that I normally use between approximately 50 - 200 mls in a 5
litre watering can - although in reality, its just a tip and pour job.
Even 50 mls seems to colour the water well. Its never caused any
problems at those sort of dilutions - in fact, I have used significantly
higher concentrations without noticing problems. I use it a lot on all
fruit and veg - particularly blueberries and citrus.

--
cheers
andyw