Old 26-09-2009, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default P'ing (urine) in the garden

lloyd wrote:

Yes here in the UK we do seem to waste an inordinate amount of water.
I guess in Oz you appreciate it much more. This is a rented place so
I'm quite limited as to what I could do, but flushing a gallon of
water everytime I went to the loo was too painful to bear. OK so in
the past we knew no better, but it is high time new builds seperated
fresh water from grey water and then resused it within the house. The
ability to leave taps running constantly also scares me. I dread to
think how much water we used to waste brushing teeth and leaving the
tap running, or washing the dishes etc.

We have had the opportunity to live a way from home in our caravan for an
extended period this year and when one has to haul ones water, it gives a
whole new outlook on waste. I am much more aware and careful at home now.

I seem to remember in the old days as a kid we were given a glass of
water to brush our teeth and not from a running tap?

I was out in the locale on walkies and met a middle aged couple
raiding the blackberry bushes. They had bags full of them and seemed
very keen. We reflected on how much wild food goes to waste in this
country, and the pies, puddings, jams and drinks they were talking
about made my mouth water.

They call this progress!!!!!!!!

PS: what tickles me is to see all the guys coming out of the woodwork
and admitting they do P in the garden. Sort of look upon you all in a
different light now ))))))))))

Whereas I shall definitely look the *other* way

Old 26-09-2009, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:13:03 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

I was out in the locale on walkies and met a middle aged couple
raiding the blackberry bushes. They had bags full of them and seemed
very keen. We reflected on how much wild food goes to waste in this
country, and the pies, puddings, jams and drinks they were talking
about made my mouth water.

We had a saying on our golf course.

"Never pick a blackberry growing at less than waist height"

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Old 26-09-2009, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day lloyd,

though some in the world live where rain abounds or more so that others it
still is good to learn the full value of it it may come easy then one day
who knows?

we use lots of our shower and bath water to flush solids only in the toilet
so buckets abound, that saves us a huge amount of water use, try to use all
water at least twice, and using the cup of water to brush teeth is the rule
here. we have very little unmanaged water going down the drain, if we have
to run a hot tap and wait for the hot water that water is collected
perfectly clean water, in clean container that becomes teeth brushing water
at least.

our current stat's are we are using 35litres of water per person, the
council limit is 200litres per peson so you can see that with others like us
out there doing their best there is lots or room for wastage in the use
limits set, and generally the town use is near the average of that upper
limit. there is no tangable reward to save water so very many plant to use
within the limit and do no more.

yes can understand living in units and flats makes it difficult but mange
whatever can be.

our gardens never smell of urine.

yes world wide lots of us cycle our urine into the garden.

"lloyd" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 07:33:09 GMT, "len"
wrote:

g'day lloyd,

yes heaps of advantages, we ahve ben doing it for years now usually mix it
with dish rinse water or dish wash water so it goes around.

will keep cats and foxes away also and saves all that wasted drinkable
water
that gets used to flush it away.

would like to have another composting toilet as well good stuff for the
garden, save even more water.

Old 26-09-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message
om...

"lloyd" wrote in message
Weird question I know but bear with me. I don't like wasting anything
or filling my septic tank up too quickly.

I thought all men peed in their gardens. Don't tell me I am the only one.

My son, when young, camped one night in the garden a bit later a patch of
grass grew rather large and my wife wondered why, she would not beleive me
when I told her it was because he had peed there during the night!

Alan

Tim W

Old 26-09-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

Tim W wrote:
"lloyd" wrote in message
Weird question I know but bear with me. I don't like wasting anything
or filling my septic tank up too quickly.

I thought all men peed in their gardens. Don't tell me I am the only
one.
Tim W

Only when there's snow laying

And they are writing their names!

--
Pete C
London UK

Old 26-09-2009, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
lloyd wrote:

[...]

I don't mind you looking my way!(:-)

Old 26-09-2009, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote in message
Weird question I know but bear with me. I don't like wasting anything
or filling my septic tank up too quickly.

Would there be any advantage, or disadvantage to collecting our urine
and using it in the garden? Even if it keeps the cats away will be
good.

I think I draw the line at solids though lol

Very good for greening up the lawn.

Old 27-09-2009, 03:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:52:30 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:09:14 +0100, lloyd wrote:

Weird question I know but bear with me. I don't like wasting anything
or filling my septic tank up too quickly.

Would there be any advantage, or disadvantage to collecting our urine
and using it in the garden? Even if it keeps the cats away will be
good.

I think I draw the line at solids though lol

I think you will find it too strong if used neat, or direct. It is
high in nitrogen, which is why it's good for compost acceration, but
direct on your plants may cause trouble. You would need to pee in a
bucket or can and dilute it before using on the garden.

(I dont seem to have got your post in my freebie newsthing)
Good point though. I have kidmey disease and the toilet limescale up
very quickly for some reason, so obviously very strong in something.

I think it's better on an open compost heap than in a bin.

Pam in Bristol

over summer I **** in to a 2 litre milk bottle and when full add to 8 odd
litres of water and water my corn and tomatos. Rinse out the bottle &
recycle.

I bet you don't have many friends...

remainder of statement snipped for accuracy

rob

Old 27-09-2009, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"lloyd" wrote in message
Weird question I know but bear with me. I don't like wasting anything
or filling my septic tank up too quickly.

Would there be any advantage, or disadvantage to collecting our urine
and using it in the garden? Even if it keeps the cats away will be
good.

I think I draw the line at solids though lol

Very good for greening up the lawn.

Depends on what you have been eating.....................................

Old 28-09-2009, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pam Moore writes
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:09:14 +0100, lloyd wrote:

Weird question I know but bear with me. I don't like wasting anything
or filling my septic tank up too quickly.

Would there be any advantage, or disadvantage to collecting our urine
and using it in the garden? Even if it keeps the cats away will be
good.

I think I draw the line at solids though lol

I think you will find it too strong if used neat, or direct. It is
high in nitrogen, which is why it's good for compost acceration, but
direct on your plants may cause trouble. You would need to pee in a
bucket or can and dilute it before using on the garden.
I think it's better on an open compost heap than in a bin.

It smells a lot less in contact with soil than on pure green stuff. so I
think it would be the soil content of the heap which determined its
smelliness rather than whether it was an open heap or a bin.
--
Kay
Old 01-10-2009, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Zhang
Dawei writes

We had a truly fantastic crop of moulis one year in our back garden,
with a failure of them on our allotment, and, after commenting on how
good they were from our garden, my wife confessed to having done a
little experiment without telling me: she had secretly stored some of
her solid waste in a part of the garden she knows I don't often go
(leaving it to her), and then used that as fertiliser for out moulis
in our garden that year.

Well, they were very good and tasted fine, just as most vegetables do
in China where use of human faeces is fairly typical. I did point out
to her that to be a proper experiment, we would have to do a variety
of a "split-plot" design, which I used to use quite often in my own
scientific work, though we have never had he courage to do it using
our allotment as I am sure that it would lead to all sorts of
problems with the committee if they evre found out we were using
faeces.

Many years ago our local (Denton) garden society sold a special
fertiliser which they called Dentona. It was like a black, fine soil
in constituency, and you paid your money and shovelled it yourself.

It was obtained from the sewage works about two miles away, and as I
understood it, it was human waste which had gone through only primary
stages of processing, though its smell was not unpleasant.
They had to stop selling it some years ago when the PowersThatBe decided
that it was a health hazard.

I suppose that what you do with your own business is your own business,
but when you sell your house, would you declare it in the HIP?
8-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Help ID'ing a tree - boxelder? dstvns Gardening 5 12-08-2003 02:22 PM
ball;ing on Aloha dave weil Roses 3 03-08-2003 07:42 PM
key for ID-ing insect larva in the pond K30a Ponds 1 01-08-2003 03:35 PM
How do I keep those *#$!@#ing ground squirrels from eating my sunflowers? Adam Schwartz Gardening 5 18-07-2003 11:32 PM
How do I keep those *#$!@#ing ground squirrels from eating my Heidi Gardening 0 17-07-2003 07:32 PM