Old 05-10-2009, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What to feed citrus trees.

Hello ,i have a Calamondin and a Lemon tree.
I continue to struggle to get nice green leafs , i have been feeding with a
winter and summer citrus feed in rain water.
I have tested with a TDS meter the strength of the summer feed 150 ppm and
it seems very weak to me as i would think they are heavy feeders.Standard
plant feed are approx 1000 ppm or more .
What is the best feed to use ?
Regards Keith

Old 06-10-2009, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

keith kent wrote:
Hello ,i have a Calamondin and a Lemon tree.
I continue to struggle to get nice green leafs , i have been feeding with a
winter and summer citrus feed in rain water.
I have tested with a TDS meter the strength of the summer feed 150 ppm and
it seems very weak to me as i would think they are heavy feeders.Standard
plant feed are approx 1000 ppm or more .
What is the best feed to use ?

Dunno what the best feed to use is, but mine get whichever of orchid
feed or their proper citrus feed is going at the time they need it in
rainwater. I only water them again when the compost looks dry.

Overwatering can also cause yellowing of the leaves and is a quick way
to kill them. I never bother to measure the strength.

The orchids also sometimes get the citrus feed and don't seem to mind.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-10-2009, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Martin Brown writes
keith kent wrote:
Hello ,i have a Calamondin and a Lemon tree.
I continue to struggle to get nice green leafs , i have been feeding
with a winter and summer citrus feed in rain water.
I have tested with a TDS meter the strength of the summer feed 150
ppm and it seems very weak to me as i would think they are heavy
feeders.Standard plant feed are approx 1000 ppm or more .
What is the best feed to use ?

Dunno what the best feed to use is, but mine get whichever of orchid
feed or their proper citrus feed is going at the time they need it in
rainwater. I only water them again when the compost looks dry.

Orchid feed is less strength than standard feed isn't it? Dos that mean
that citrus aren't in fact heavy feeders?
--
Kay
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Martin Brown writes
keith kent wrote:
Hello ,i have a Calamondin and a Lemon tree.
I continue to struggle to get nice green leafs , i have been feeding
with a winter and summer citrus feed in rain water.
I have tested with a TDS meter the strength of the summer feed 150
ppm and it seems very weak to me as i would think they are heavy
feeders.Standard plant feed are approx 1000 ppm or more .
What is the best feed to use ?

Dunno what the best feed to use is, but mine get whichever of orchid
feed or their proper citrus feed is going at the time they need it in
rainwater. I only water them again when the compost looks dry.

Orchid feed is less strength than standard feed isn't it? Dos that mean
that citrus aren't in fact heavy feeders?

Both of mine are crystalline semi solids with similar NPK ratios but
slightly different mix of trace elements. I use them pretty much
interchangeably. How much you dilute it makes the difference.

Citrus leaves will yellow and certainly sulk if they don't get enough
food - but overwatering is a more common problem. I think by most
definitions they are fairly heavy feeders and acid loving so hard water
will cause them problems getting enough iron.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"keith kent" wrote ...
Hello ,i have a Calamondin and a Lemon tree.
I continue to struggle to get nice green leafs , i have been feeding with
a winter and summer citrus feed in rain water.
I have tested with a TDS meter the strength of the summer feed 150 ppm and
it seems very weak to me as i would think they are heavy feeders.Standard
plant feed are approx 1000 ppm or more .
What is the best feed to use ?

I give ours a dose of sequestered iron every spring as they come out of
their winter quarters and go outside, normally March time.
I also feed summer and winter feed changing with the clocks but I also chuck
a handful of Chicken Manure Pellets on the soil of each one a couple of
times a year for that extra something. Orchids seem to love those pellets
too BTW. Occasionally they get fed with normal liquid feed at normal
strength but I usually flush the pots with clean water between feeds to
flush out any residue.
If they are really looking a bit sickly then repot into ericaceous compost
with added grit.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-10-2009, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
K wrote:
Martin Brown writes
keith kent wrote:
[...]

My lemon seems to tolerate quite a bit of water however it is in a large pot
outside and so unlikely to get waterlogged.

I have been feeding it this year less frequently than recommended but with a
stronger solution and it seems to like it more than being neglected.
Previous years there has beeen patchy growth and some yellowing of the
leaves.

It has just started growing again and I think I can correlate the growth
spurts with extra watering and feeding.

So from my experience if the leaves aren't greening up and the plant is in
well drained soil/potting composed in a warm and sunny spot then an extra
feed or a stronger feed is worth trying.
A little extra watering is also worth a try - I suspect mine has previously
been under fed and under watered.
The main thing is not to go on for too long if you are not getting positive
results because AFAIK under feeding and watering is less likely to kill the
plant unless carried to the extreme.

It may be a little late this year to experiment, though.

HTH

Dave R

Old 06-10-2009, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-06 13:40:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts" said:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
K wrote:
Martin Brown writes
keith kent wrote:
[...]

snipDave R

Don't feed over winter is the general rule and let them drain really
well between waterings, almost to the point of drying out, both winter
and summer. If in a pot, make sure it's raised so that they can drain
well, as yours does, obvioiusly. Our Meyer's lemon is in the ground in
a small, unheated greenhouse, came through last winter and gets only a
splash of water now and again if the hose is being dragged round there.
Apparently, there's a lot of managenese in the water from the
borehole, so whether this affects the lemon tree well or not, I have no
idea but I'm sure someone will.
--
Sacha

Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"keith kent" wrote ...
[...]

Thanks For the advise everyone, when is the best time to repot ,is it too
late now ?