Old 15-10-2009, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can snails go backwards?

A snail got itself stuck in the spout of the watering can. Its natural
instinct was to head for the light 'at the end of the spout', but of course
the spout got narrower and it got stuck so we had to poke it out.

'Our' reaction would be to reverse, but 'can' snails reverse? Anybody see
one do it?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 15-10-2009, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
A snail got itself stuck in the spout of the watering can. Its natural
instinct was to head for the light 'at the end of the spout', but of
course the spout got narrower and it got stuck so we had to poke it out.

'Our' reaction would be to reverse, but 'can' snails reverse? Anybody see
one do it?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Don't know. I get the same thing but usually manage to gently release it
without breaking the shell

http://www.keepcrueltyhistory.com/

Old 15-10-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:14:58 +0100, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
A snail got itself stuck in the spout of the watering can. Its natural
instinct was to head for the light 'at the end of the spout', but of
course the spout got narrower and it got stuck so we had to poke it out.

'Our' reaction would be to reverse, but 'can' snails reverse? Anybody see
one do it?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Don't know. I get the same thing but usually manage to gently release it
without breaking the shell

You have to crack the shells to eat them, surely?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 15-10-2009, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You gents must be french.

Old 15-10-2009, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
A snail got itself stuck in the spout of the watering can. Its natural
instinct was to head for the light 'at the end of the spout', but of
course the spout got narrower and it got stuck so we had to poke it out.

'Our' reaction would be to reverse, but 'can' snails reverse? Anybody see
one do it?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Don't know. I get the same thing but usually manage to gently release it
without breaking the shell

I usually stamp on them!

Alan

http://www.keepcrueltyhistory.com/

Old 15-10-2009, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:14:58 +0100, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
A snail got itself stuck in the spout of the watering can. Its natural
instinct was to head for the light 'at the end of the spout', but of
course the spout got narrower and it got stuck so we had to poke it out.

'Our' reaction would be to reverse, but 'can' snails reverse? Anybody
see
one do it?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Don't know. I get the same thing but usually manage to gently release it
without breaking the shell

You have to crack the shells to eat them, surely?

No, when you have cooked them you can just peel them out!

Alan

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Old 15-10-2009, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
You gents must be french.

Why, we have been eating whelks in this country for possibly hundreds of
years.

Alan

Old 15-10-2009, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

A snail got itself stuck in the spout of the watering can. Its natural
instinct was to head for the light 'at the end of the spout', but of
course the spout got narrower and it got stuck so we had to poke it out.

'Our' reaction would be to reverse, but 'can' snails reverse? Anybody see
one do it?

only the male ones are any good at reversing

\0

Old 16-10-2009, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:

A snail got itself stuck in the spout of the watering can. Its natural
instinct was to head for the light 'at the end of the spout', but of
course the spout got narrower and it got stuck so we had to poke it out.

'Our' reaction would be to reverse, but 'can' snails reverse? Anybody see
one do it?

only the male ones are any good at reversing

They go backwards quite quickly if you bash the bottom of the watering can
on the ground :-)

Steve

Old 16-10-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , 'Mike'
writes
A snail got itself stuck in the spout of the watering can. Its natural
instinct was to head for the light 'at the end of the spout', but of
course
the spout got narrower and it got stuck so we had to poke it out.

'Our' reaction would be to reverse, but 'can' snails reverse? Anybody see
one do it?

The (sensible) answer to your question, which no-one else seems to have
given (!), is that no, they can't. The sequence of muscular contractions
in their 'foot, which pushes them forwards, only works one way not both.

--
Malcolm

Thank you Malcolm. That is what I thought but didn't know for certain.

Old 16-10-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:

A snail got itself stuck in the spout of the watering can. Its natural
instinct was to head for the light 'at the end of the spout', but of
course the spout got narrower and it got stuck so we had to poke it out.

'Our' reaction would be to reverse, but 'can' snails reverse? Anybody
see
one do it?

only the male ones are any good at reversing

They go backwards quite quickly if you bash the bottom of the watering can
on the ground :-)

You should be bashing the watering can on them not on the ground!

Alan

Steve

Old 17-10-2009, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , 'Mike'
writes
A snail got itself stuck in the spout of the watering can. Its natural
instinct was to head for the light 'at the end of the spout', but of
course
the spout got narrower and it got stuck so we had to poke it out.

'Our' reaction would be to reverse, but 'can' snails reverse? Anybody see
one do it?

The (sensible) answer to your question, which no-one else seems to have
given (!), is that no, they can't. The sequence of muscular contractions
in their 'foot, which pushes them forwards, only works one way not both.

--
Malcolm

Thank you Malcolm. That is what I thought but didn't know for certain.

I think, however, they can turn and flex the foot outside the shell quite
extensively, so it would be feasible for them to reverse by turning in
place.
However if the spout is taller than it is broad then they wouldn't be able
to turn and would get stuck, presumably.
Hmmm....possible that they could turn their body around in the opening of
the shell so their foot points backward and so go backwards.
I would expect that they have some mechanism for getting out of
(evolutionary?) dead ends.

Anyone got a spare research grant? I have most of the raw materials required
for the experiments. ;-)

Backwards bloom tenman Orchid Photos 0 15-04-2009 05:18 AM
Craftsman lawn tractor....kohler engine..hooked battery backwards!! [email protected] Lawns 6 14-04-2006 12:32 AM
Snails - Benifit or Pest?////Zebra Snails hurdy gurdy Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 27-08-2003 07:04 PM
Good snails/ Bad snails/ controll Henry Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Good snails/ Bad snails/ controll Henry Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 15-03-2003 08:20 PM