Old 24-10-2009, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dahlia excelsa - for David Hill

David, it's getting an awful battering today but 'your' Dahlia excelsa
is still flowering in three different places in the garden. It looks
absolutely wonderful and the colour is as bright and zinging as always.
Poor thing has definitely been rather tattered by autumn winds but it
battles on valiantly. What a great plant! I do hope you're
propagating loads of it! ;-) The Dahlia imperialis has grown to an
enormous height in the garden but shows no sign of flowering and I very
much doubt it will now. Have you grown that one outside this year?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-10-2009, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
David, it's getting an awful battering today but 'your' Dahlia excelsa is
still flowering in three different places in the garden. It looks
absolutely wonderful and the colour is as bright and zinging as always.
Poor thing has definitely been rather tattered by autumn winds but it
battles on valiantly. What a great plant! I do hope you're propagating
loads of it! ;-) The Dahlia imperialis has grown to an enormous height
in the garden but shows no sign of flowering and I very much doubt it will
now. Have you grown that one outside this year?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

It is a super plant and I can certainly say it's not shy to flower up here
in the North, unlike D. imperialis. On the advice of the Crug crew I reduced
the number of stems to 4 early in the season and stripped all the side
shoots and I now have what looks like a perennial bamboo with a
proliferation of jolly (common as muck) flowers at a height of 4 metres. It
has to be one of the easiest plants to propagate and given the right
conditions could almost be classified as a pernicious weed. :-) A superb
plant!

Old 25-10-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-24 20:03:13 +0100, "rupert" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

The other really good one for colour, though not as long-flowering,
quite, is D.Engelhardt's Matador. This has lovely dark leaves and the
flowers are very striking against them. However, I noticed this
morning that 'the Bishop' is still going with one flower left on it!

Old 25-10-2009, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2009-10-24 20:03:13 +0100, "rupert" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Glad to hear the dahlia is going strong Sacha.
I am hoping that I can get 2 dahlias into the RHS trials next year ,
they are

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eAbacusSol.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...emililac02.jpg

The last of the 2 is the one with the great young foliage

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...afoliage01.jpg

Also they are probablt going to have 2 tree dahlias to try in the
gardens
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eetallview.jpg
which has flowers op to 9 inches across and grows to 8ft and more
also
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...glePeach01.jpg.

One I hope is going to reapear next season is a sport that has only
flowered in the last 10 days.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...s/DSCF1902.jpg
It is only 2ft or so tall, but looks good even after the gales and
driving rain we had the last couple of days. This picture was taken
after all that weather.

David Hill
Old 26-10-2009, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.
[...]

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ias/Collerette
AbacusSol.jpg

That's a really *beautiful* colour and form, David. I really do like
that. The yellow is such a good colour, not too 'in your face'.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ias/Ownfoliage
semililac02.jpg

Another lovely colour - that looks a brighter pink than D. excelsa, am
I right? The stem and foliage contrast well with the flower and its
centre.

The last of the 2 is the one with the great young foliage

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ias/Dahliafoli
age01.jpg

Interesting leaf and I like that bronze in it. Does the bronze remain
as the plant matures?

Also they are probablt going to have 2 tree dahlias to try in the
gardens
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ias/Owntreetal
lview.jpg

That's superb! Lovely colour and I really like that twist on the
petals. I think that's a real winner.

which has flowers op to 9 inches across and grows to 8ft and more
also
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ias/OwnTreesin
glePeach01.jpg.

That looks like a sunrise - what a gorgeous colour.

One I hope is going to reapear next season is a sport that has only
flowered in the last 10 days.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ias/DSCF1902.j
pg

Oh beautiful. That is a really good , ure white. It's wonderful.

It is only 2ft or so tall, but looks good even after the gales and
driving rain we had the last couple of days. This picture was taken
after all that weather.

David Hill

You've got some real beauties there, David, so I think they'll trial
well - do hope so for everyone's sake! I especially like the 'sunrise'
one because it seems to me to be a most unusual colour. I don't know
much about Dahlias but I don't think I've seen anything quite like that
before.

--
Sacha

ping David Hill Sacha United Kingdom 6 02-08-2013 03:34 PM
Stelis excelsa (syn Pleurothallis excelsa) John Varigos Orchid Photos 0 14-08-2007 03:56 PM
David Hill Sacha United Kingdom 0 05-12-2005 01:37 PM
David Hill and his Dahlia! Sacha United Kingdom 2 22-10-2004 05:34 PM