Old 27-10-2009, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Burning wood in the house

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France
said:

On Oct 25, 10:26 pm, beccabunga beccabunga.
wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:
Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression *is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am sti
ll
wary.
Any one have * first hand experience here?
thanks
Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The
other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive,
especially when burnt wet.
--
beccabunga
We have a woodburner and, on order, a wood burning Aga type cooker.
We burn mostly oak, seasoned at least 2 years, it burns well and no
sparks. *We also burn frene and some pine as we have a lot of pine
beams over 150 years old from the barn. *We had the roof replaced as
it was infested with Capricorne. *This pine doesn't spark but I doubt
there is any resin left in it after all this time.
Judith
Oak is very dense, so burns slowly so presumably that keeps a fire in a
long time and other stuff gingers it up? Some old wooden mantles were
made of oak because it was so hard to set alight easily. * We don't
have a wood burner but when the Aga dies and it must be around 50 to 60
years old, we're certainly not getting another one at those prices!
--
Sacha

The oak we burn is very dry, it doesn't just slumber away, cut to the
correct size it burns at a steady rate. *When the oven needs to come
up to temperature, my neighbour tells me that it will need to be mixed
with a lighter wood. *Agas certainly are a price, so is Godin but they
are supposed to last a lifetime. *Even secondhand these monsters fetch
a good price.

Hi Judith,

Getting cepes now in your neck of the woods? *We picked over 3 kg
yesterday!

Funny no one has mentioned sweet chestnut. *I'd guess it's the most
"explosive" of woods, it can send an ember from an open fire many
yards across the room, even from old wood. *(Green chestnut is pretty
hard to burn, anyway.)

Sadly in France we burn lots and lots of oak. *We rarely replant it
either... *It has a very straight grain and so is easy to split, burns
hot and doesn't go out in a good stove. *Frene -- ash in english -- is
very fine wood for the stove or fireplace but difficult to split.

regards,

-E

You need to split ash when it's green - quite easy then.

Jonathan