Old 31-10-2009, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Peas

On my travels today I saw trays of pea plants, about 2 or 3" high for sale.
Seemed to me to be an odd thing to be selling at this time of year. Is it?
Pea plants were Meteor.

mark

Old 31-10-2009, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
On my travels today I saw trays of pea plants, about 2 or 3" high for sale.
Seemed to me to be an odd thing to be selling at this time of year. Is it?
Pea plants were Meteor.

I grew peas for the first time this year. I didn't pull them up until
they had gone over. A lot of self set ones had come up recently in the
former pea patch. It got me wondering too if peas can overwinter? I
rotorvated them all back in a few days ago... I'll be miffed if they
could have been moved and planted elsewhere for a Spring cropping.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 31-10-2009, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes

On my travels today I saw trays of pea plants, about 2 or 3" high for sale.
Seemed to me to be an odd thing to be selling at this time of year. Is it?
Pea plants were Meteor.

mark

I seem to recall growing Meteor as over wintering peas last year. They
weren't very successful but that may have been due to my lack of care.
Most other things I can grow pretty well but not peas. I guess it's
because I find them very fiddly and they occupy too much ground for what
they produce. But, IIRC, Meteor are for growing over winter. So quite
logical to have the plants on sale ATM.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 31-10-2009, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mark wrote:
On my travels today I saw trays of pea plants, about 2 or 3" high for sale.
Seemed to me to be an odd thing to be selling at this time of year. Is it?
Pea plants were Meteor.

I know you /can/ overwinter peas, although I've never seen them on sale
for overwintering, and whenever I've tried it they've not come up -
either the cold persuading them not to, or being eaten by mice. (We
tried soaking in parafin one year to deter mice, then forgot to unsoak
them and went back to them after they had been pickling for about 2
months!)

Old 31-10-2009, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:33:33 -0000, "mark"
wrote:

On my travels today I saw trays of pea plants, about 2 or 3" high for sale.
Seemed to me to be an odd thing to be selling at this time of year. Is it?
Pea plants were Meteor.

mark

On Masterchef recently the posh way to decorate a dish is with pea
shoots, which are said to be very tasty.

Pam in Bristol

Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On my travels today I saw trays of pea plants, about 2 or 3" high for
sale.
Seemed to me to be an odd thing to be selling at this time of year. Is
it?
Pea plants were Meteor.

mark

On Masterchef recently the posh way to decorate a dish is with pea
shoots, which are said to be very tasty.

They are! They are also supposed to be very nutritious.

--
Kathy