Old 01-11-2009, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Probably not...

....much of a day for gardening today. It's lashed down with rain all
night and now it's blowing a hooligan. It was supposed to have gone
through in the night but little sign of it doing so at nearly 10.30am.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
...much of a day for gardening today. It's lashed down with rain all
night and now it's blowing a hooligan. It was supposed to have gone
through in the night but little sign of it doing so at nearly 10.30am.

Fairly horrible here too, no chance of getting out on the garden today.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
...much of a day for gardening today. It's lashed down with rain all
night and now it's blowing a hooligan. It was supposed to have gone
through in the night but little sign of it doing so at nearly 10.30am.

Fairly horrible here too, no chance of getting out on the garden today.

It did even get here to the east coast to about 9 this morning. So much for
it being gone by midday.

--
Kathy

Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Kathy McIntosh
wrote
Sacha wrote:
...much of a day for gardening today. It's lashed down with rain
all night and now it's blowing a hooligan. It was supposed to have
gone through in the night but little sign of it doing so at nearly

Fairly horrible here too, no chance of getting out on the garden today.

It did even get here to the east coast to about 9 this morning. So
much for it being gone by midday.

Just check the radar weather maps and you can predict yourself when it
will stop raining.
http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

(The time-stamp is for central Europe)
--
Alan
Old 01-11-2009, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kathy McIntosh writes
Sacha wrote:
...much of a day for gardening today. It's lashed down with rain
all night and now it's blowing a hooligan. It was supposed to have
through in the night but little sign of it doing so at nearly
10.30am.

Fairly horrible here too, no chance of getting out on the garden today.

It did even get here to the east coast to about 9 this morning. So
much for it being gone by midday.

We were promised it for all day, so I didn't have any expectations.

Just rain here, heavy enough to be miserable, not heavy enough to be
fun. Not like the thunderstorms we've just had in Greece - wonderful
forked lightning displays over the sea and adjacent islands while still
warm enough to be sitting on our (covered) balcony with wine. Paddling
through a six inch deep torrent to get to our car the other side of the
street.

I do hope that the locals moved in time the pigs that they keep in the
overflow channels under the new road ;-)
--
Kay

Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 10:22:28 +0000, Sacha wrote:

...much of a day for gardening today. It's lashed down with rain all
night and now it's blowing a hooligan. It was supposed to have gone
through in the night but little sign of it doing so at nearly 10.30am.

It stopped raining at about 10AM up here in Cheshire and the Sun keeps
peeping through the clouds. Even so I won't be doing any gardening.

Steve

Old 01-11-2009, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-01 12:28:36 +0000, Martin said:

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 10:22:28 +0000, Sacha wrote:

...much of a day for gardening today. It's lashed down with rain all
night and now it's blowing a hooligan. It was supposed to have gone
through in the night but little sign of it doing so at nearly 10.30am.

It hasn;t arrived here yet. The wind is picking up but no rain yet.

So finally the drought is over in your part of the world? )

Just a bit! We always listen to the weather forecasts but really, I do
wonder why we bother at times. This seems to be such a micro-climate
that what's happening 2 miles away isn't happening here.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
wrote

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

Meteox has nice graphics but the forecasting part isn't always particularly
accurate.

That's why I suggest forecasting yourself. Based on the previous few
hours of rain it should have been possible to extrapolate to see when it
would finish.
--
Alan
Old 01-11-2009, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-01 12:28:36 +0000, Martin said:

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 10:22:28 +0000, Sacha wrote:

...much of a day for gardening today. It's lashed down with rain all
night and now it's blowing a hooligan. It was supposed to have gone
through in the night but little sign of it doing so at nearly 10.30am.

It hasn;t arrived here yet. The wind is picking up but no rain yet.

So finally the drought is over in your part of the world? )

Just a bit! We always listen to the weather forecasts but really, I do
wonder why we bother at times. This seems to be such a micro-climate
that what's happening 2 miles away isn't happening here.

We've noticed that the weather is very often different between the north and
south entrances of the tunnels under Amsterdam harbour.

Yes, happens here all the time - cross the A38 and the weather is
different one side to the other.
--
Sacha

Old 01-11-2009, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-01 12:28:36 +0000, Martin said:

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 10:22:28 +0000, Sacha wrote:

...much of a day for gardening today. It's lashed down with rain all
night and now it's blowing a hooligan. It was supposed to have gone
through in the night but little sign of it doing so at nearly 10.30am.

It hasn;t arrived here yet. The wind is picking up but no rain yet.

So finally the drought is over in your part of the world? )

Just a bit! We always listen to the weather forecasts but really, I do
wonder why we bother at times. This seems to be such a micro-climate
that what's happening 2 miles away isn't happening here.

We've noticed that the weather is very often different between the north and
south entrances of the tunnels under Amsterdam harbour.

Yes, happens here all the time - cross the A38 and the weather is
different one side to the other.

The Dutch could have saved money on the tunnels then )

Only if they'd imported Dartmoor.
--
Sacha

Old 01-11-2009, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-01 23:04:49 +0000, Martin said:

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 18:01:14 +0000, Sacha wrote:
snip

We've noticed that the weather is very often different between the north and
south entrances of the tunnels under Amsterdam harbour.

Yes, happens here all the time - cross the A38 and the weather is
different one side to the other.

The Dutch could have saved money on the tunnels then )

Only if they'd imported Dartmoor.

or diverted the A38.

No thanks. It suits us just where it is. All is quiet here tonight
and it's not raining. Who knows what tomorrow will bring....

Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" Only if they'd imported Dartmoor.

or diverted the A38.

No thanks. It suits us just where it is. All is quiet here tonight
and it's not raining. Who knows what tomorrow will bring....

Colder weather and more rain.

Snow next.
--

Martin

Please could you good people please snip or "prune" much of the text
preceding your reply?

Regards,

Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-01 23:04:49 +0000, Martin said:

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 18:01:14 +0000, Sacha wrote:
snip

We've noticed that the weather is very often different between the north and
south entrances of the tunnels under Amsterdam harbour.

Yes, happens here all the time - cross the A38 and the weather is
different one side to the other.

The Dutch could have saved money on the tunnels then )

Only if they'd imported Dartmoor.

or diverted the A38.

No thanks. It suits us just where it is. All is quiet here tonight
and it's not raining. Who knows what tomorrow will bring....

Colder weather and more rain.

Snow next.

It's colder here today and with a light breeze. No rain, though but it
is a bit grey. However, plenty of things are still flowering, the
Dahlia excelsa is still going, rather unexpectedly, given the gales of
yesterday, the Impatiens tinctoria even has a few buds on it, which is
fairly amazing and the wonderful Euryops just keep on going, as always.
I wouldn't mind snow - in fact I like snow but it's a very rare event
in this village.