Old 22-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Registered User

Default Friends? Probably not...

Saw these two having a nap on my Ilex aquifolium 'Silver Queen' (which seems to be pushing berries so in fact must be I.a 'Silver King'). One is likely the invasive Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis) the other I counted 14 spots but can't pinpoint the species.
Attached Thumbnails
Friends? Probably not...-dsc_0572.jpg
Old 24-06-2011, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Slopegardener" wrote in message

Saw these two having a nap on my Ilex aquifolium 'Silver Queen' (which
seems to be pushing berries so in fact must be I.a 'Silver King'). One
is likely the invasive Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis) the other
I counted 14 spots but can't pinpoint the species.

They both look perfectly innocent to me.
Which one do you think might be a Harlequin, as a matter of interest?

Old 25-06-2011, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jun 24, 8:19*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Slopegardener" wrote in message

Saw these two having a nap on my Ilex aquifolium 'Silver Queen' (which
seems to be pushing berries so in fact must be I.a 'Silver King'). One
is likely the invasive Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis) the other
I counted 14 spots but can't pinpoint the species.

They both look perfectly innocent to me.
Which one do you think might be a Harlequin, as a matter of interest?

Apart from size there are loads of different colour combinations see
http://www.harlequin-survey.org/reco...istinction.htm
Old 26-06-2011, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jun 24, 8:19 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Slopegardener" wrote in
message

Saw these two having a nap on my Ilex aquifolium 'Silver Queen' (which
seems to be pushing berries so in fact must be I.a 'Silver King'). One
is likely the invasive Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis) the other
I counted 14 spots but can't pinpoint the species.

They both look perfectly innocent to me.
Which one do you think might be a Harlequin, as a matter of interest?

Apart from size there are loads of different colour combinations see
http://www.harlequin-survey.org/reco...istinction.htm

And most of them are not going to be them are they? So many varieties of
red/black/ black/red/ yellow/black are ours so nothing to panic about.

Old 26-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
And most of them are not going to be them are they? So many varieties of
red/black/ black/red/ yellow/black are ours so nothing to panic about.
According to the survey Dave provided a link to, the one on the right in my picture looks very similar to H. axyridis spectabilis which is shown. The thread title was in reference to the fact that the Harlequin ladybird is; 'An invasive alien species new to Britain. Predicted to spread rapidly. Out-competes other ladybird species and is a major threat to them and some other insect groups.' (Source UK Ladybird Survey) Doesn't sound great.