Old 12-11-2009, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soot

After the sweep has been round he left a bag of soot.
Apparently it is regarded as having some degree of hazard!

?? Is it of any use in the garden?

Colin

Old 12-11-2009, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Colin Jackson" wrote ...
After the sweep has been round he left a bag of soot.
Apparently it is regarded as having some degree of hazard!

?? Is it of any use in the garden?

Yes but you have to let it weather for some time before you put it around
your plants to stop slugs etc.
So long ago I can't remember how long you have to leave it.

(BTW it's usual to post in plain text, some servers don't like it
otherwise.)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-09-2012, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:03:13 PM UTC, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Colin Jackson" wrote ...
After the sweep has been round he left a bag of soot.
Apparently it is regarded as having some degree of hazard!

?? Is it of any use in the garden?

Yes but you have to let it weather for some time before you put it around
your plants to stop slugs etc.
So long ago I can't remember how long you have to leave it.

(BTW it's usual to post in plain text, some servers don't like it
otherwise.)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

I have resurrected this thread from 3 years ago because I have just swept my chimney and have gained a bucket full of soot.

Does anyone know how this "weathering" is performed? Do I simply leave the bucket and its contents uncovered somewhere in the garden?

I would have thought that the bucket would just fill with water and result in a black sludge.

I had thought about tipping it on the compost heap, but I remember being told by my grandfather why he did not do that, but cannot remember the details of what he said - (I was only about 8 years old at the time).

He used to have a separate heap for soot, but I do not have the space for that.
Old 18-09-2012, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John wrote in
:

[...]

I don't know if this is useful to you, but my dad used to sprinkle a couple
of handfuls of soot between layers of grass mowings in one of his compost
heaps. He had 2 heaps but only one with soot added. He used to throw the
rest of the soot into the dustbin. He must have had his reasons I think.

Baz
Old 19-09-2012, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:50:32 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:
John wrote in

:

[...]

Thanks for that.

I gather soot is very acidic so it may be of use mixed in small quantities with some clay soil.

I might put some as a top dressing under a large heather plant that I have. I think they like acidic conditions.

Coal Soot Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 12 06-06-2005 01:24 PM
soot in compost? Klara United Kingdom 19 06-12-2004 10:36 PM
Ashes & Soot in Pond stricks760 Ponds 3 28-11-2003 05:44 PM
soot on my camellia? John Martin United Kingdom 4 26-01-2003 03:06 PM
Kyoto Treaty & Soot From Burning Wood Robert Cohen alt.forestry 2 11-11-2002 04:14 PM