Old 12-11-2009, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default leaf mould

I remember Bob Flowerdew saying to put your leaves in plastic bags and
forget them for a couple of years. I found my bags this week behind
the shed, full of lovely leaf mould.

Now, anyone know why I did this? What is the stuff for?

Thanks

Jon
Old 12-11-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NogbadtheCool" wrote in message
I remember Bob Flowerdew saying to put your leaves in plastic bags and
forget them for a couple of years. I found my bags this week behind
the shed, full of lovely leaf mould.

Now, anyone know why I did this? What is the stuff for?

Thanks

Jon

Use it to mulch around plants, esp. moisture-loving woodland plants, but
anything that would appreciate a yummy duvet over the winter. Otherwise,
add it your potting mix.

Spider

Old 14-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NogbadtheCool View Post
I remember Bob Flowerdew saying to put your leaves in plastic bags and
forget them for a couple of years. I found my bags this week behind
the shed, full of lovely leaf mould.

Now, anyone know why I did this? What is the stuff for?

Thanks

Jon
Leaf mould is a great mulch and it also is very good for encouraging worm activity.
__________________
www.grownforyou.co.uk

Fruit trees and plants for the Grow Your Own gardener.
Old 15-11-2009, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

"NogbadtheCool" wrote in message
I remember Bob Flowerdew saying to put your leaves in plastic bags and
forget them for a couple of years. I found my bags this week behind
the shed, full of lovely leaf mould.

Now, anyone know why I did this? What is the stuff for?

Thanks

Jon

Use it to mulch around plants, esp. moisture-loving woodland plants, but
anything that would appreciate a yummy duvet over the winter. Otherwise,
add it your potting mix.

Yes excellant peat substitute. Used to be used generally before peat use
became general.

Old 16-11-2009, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"NogbadtheCool" wrote in message
I remember Bob Flowerdew saying to put your leaves in plastic bags and
forget them for a couple of years. I found my bags this week behind
the shed, full of lovely leaf mould.

Now, anyone know why I did this? What is the stuff for?

Thanks

Jon

Use it to mulch around plants, esp. moisture-loving woodland plants, but
anything that would appreciate a yummy duvet over the winter. Otherwise,
add it your potting mix.

Yes, I do the same.

I have a lot of trees, get the leaves up and put them into pierced black
dustbin bags behind the greenhouse for couple of years. Some bags are
leering at me to get them out to do something with them while I still have
this years crop to go into bags..
When I say I have a lot of trees, maybe 70 ish.

Tina

Old 16-11-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Christina Websell writes
I have a lot of trees, get the leaves up and put them into pierced
black dustbin bags behind the greenhouse for couple of years. Some
bags are leering at me to get them out to do something with them while
I still have
this years crop to go into bags..
When I say I have a lot of trees, maybe 70 ish.

How many bags do you get each year off that lot?

I've just collected leaves off the lawn and the paths, and that has
given me a square heap 5ft by 5ft and 30 inches deep. It's in a set of
linked together boards that open out to make a square frame - three of
them on top of each other. I didn't buy them - they'd been dumped on our
local nature reserve. I'm now waiting till it's all compacted down a bit
before adding the last lot (there are still quite a lot of leaves on the
trees).

I don't bother to move leaves from the flower beds.
--
Kay

Leaf collection for leaf mould michael United Kingdom 8 07-11-2009 06:26 AM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
Leaf mould Rufus United Kingdom 2 29-11-2002 10:50 AM
leaf mould Alan and Liz United Kingdom 5 21-11-2002 04:10 PM
leaf mould Rob United Kingdom 12 13-11-2002 06:27 PM