Old 20-11-2009, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Secure storage

I imagine that many here have had garden equipment stolen.
To date I have suffered 9 such intrusions.
This is not an advert or an offer for sale, just a polite request for some
thoughts from you gentlefolk.

I have been offered, in the line of work, 10 steel containers. Similar to
shipping containers in style.
Purpose built and not modified shipping containers. Fully insulated.
All are 2.5m in width and height. Lengths vary from 2.5 to 4.0m.
Some are end opening, some side opening, some side & end opening.
All about 5yo and in good order.
I could use 2 or 3 but would have to buy the lot. I could buy an ordinary
20ft shipping container for less but don't have the space.
They are not cheap. About £1000 each plus transport.

Would these be of any interest to anyone?

Thanks,
Nick.

Old 20-11-2009, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick" wrote in message
I imagine that many here have had garden equipment stolen.
To date I have suffered 9 such intrusions.
This is not an advert or an offer for sale, just a polite request for some
thoughts from you gentlefolk.

I have been offered, in the line of work, 10 steel containers. Similar to
shipping containers in style.
Purpose built and not modified shipping containers. Fully insulated.
All are 2.5m in width and height. Lengths vary from 2.5 to 4.0m.
Some are end opening, some side opening, some side & end opening.
All about 5yo and in good order.
I could use 2 or 3 but would have to buy the lot. I could buy an ordinary
20ft shipping container for less but don't have the space.
They are not cheap. About £1000 each plus transport.

Would these be of any interest to anyone?

Thanks,
Nick.

Have the nine intrusions meant a loss of MORE than £1000?

If not, are they worth it?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 28-11-2009, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick" wrote in message
I imagine that many here have had garden equipment stolen.
To date I have suffered 9 such intrusions.
This is not an advert or an offer for sale, just a polite request for some
thoughts from you gentlefolk.

I have been offered, in the line of work, 10 steel containers. Similar to
shipping containers in style.
Purpose built and not modified shipping containers. Fully insulated.
All are 2.5m in width and height. Lengths vary from 2.5 to 4.0m.
Some are end opening, some side opening, some side & end opening.
All about 5yo and in good order.
I could use 2 or 3 but would have to buy the lot. I could buy an ordinary
20ft shipping container for less but don't have the space.
They are not cheap. About £1000 each plus transport.

Would these be of any interest to anyone?

No, rather than spend so much money on a steel container, two large dogs
would do the trick, make sure your garden is securely fenced so the dogs
cannot get out, leave your back door open during the night so they can get
out into your garden and voila! no-one will steal your garden equipment.
Worked for me ;-)

Tina

Old 29-11-2009, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains these
words:

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

However, should you encounter the kind of professional thieves who
have no conscience about what they do to dogs, you will find that
"leave your back door open all night"
invalidated your insurance contract and the insurers won't pay up.

Janet.

Are you sure, it doesn't say anywhere on my policy that locks have to
used or doors and windows shut, I would especially think they would have
problems winning a case if you were in residence. Leaving doors and
windows open may not be sensible but I don't think insurers could insist

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 29-11-2009, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 20, 8:23*pm, "Nick" wrote:
I imagine that many here have had garden equipment stolen.
To date I have suffered 9 such intrusions.
This is not an advert or an offer for sale, just a polite request for some
thoughts from you gentlefolk.

I have been offered, in the line of work, 10 steel containers. Similar to
shipping containers in style.
Purpose built and not modified shipping containers. Fully insulated.
All are 2.5m in width and height. Lengths vary from 2.5 to 4.0m.

That's basically garage (for a car) size. Can one get use these steel
containers to get around planning laws as may impose restrictions on
the freedom to just go ahead and build 2 or 3 garages.

Plans to green-roof them?

And if you really need that much space, are we to assumes they would
replace a half dozen or so rotting sheds with wonky doors that have
allowed the "intrusions" to date?

Hold on, don't bother answering, that was intrusive, but I'll leave it
there to highlight the curiosity.

Some are end opening, some side opening, some side & end opening.
All about 5yo and in good order.
I could use 2 or 3 but would have to buy the lot. I could buy an ordinary
20ft shipping container for less but don't have the space.
They are not cheap. About £1000 each plus transport.

Would these be of any interest to anyone?

not to me.

Old 30-11-2009, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

In article ,
says...

However, should you encounter the kind of professional thieves who
have no conscience about what they do to dogs, you will find that
"leave your back door open all night"
invalidated your insurance contract and the insurers won't pay up.

Janet.

Are you sure, it doesn't say anywhere on my policy that locks have to
used or doors and windows shut, I would especially think they would have
problems winning a case if you were in residence. Leaving doors and
windows open may not be sensible but I don't think insurers could insist

Check the exclusions.

Many domestic policies include an exclusion clause for theft losses
where there was no "forced entry".

http://www.gocompare.com/guides/home...xclusions.aspx

quote

" Home insurance exclusions. Other things that may affect or
invalidate a claim you make a ....

* Being burgled where there is no forced entry into your property
(i.e. leaving a door open)"

end quote.

Janet

fortunately mine doesn't and I have 3 other policies documents here and
on checking none of them do either, the only exclusion is if the house is
left unoccupied for more than 60 days or the theft was by a member of the
family.
From what you say there are obviously cheap policies around, I would not
consider paying for any insurance with that sort of get out clause, no
one could be sure that all their doors and windows were going to be
locked shut all the time especially in the summer.
Please note that I agree your original point not to rely on a dog for
security is valid, I was merely surprised enough by the doors comment to
go and check my policy
Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
If you run your business from home, your insurance is likely to be
commercial not domestic insurance.
I'm discussion domestic insurance cover.

and I have 3 other policies documents here and
on checking none of them do either, the only exclusion is if the house is
left unoccupied for more than 60 days or the theft was by a member of the
family

From what you say there are obviously cheap policies around,
I would not
consider paying for any insurance with that sort of get out clause, no
one could be sure that all their doors and windows were going to be
locked shut all the time especially in the summer.

Nobody suggested they should be "locked shut all the time"; that's not
required to prove "forced entry" (see earlier website).
. . I hope you read your insurance policies more carefully than you
read this thread :-)

BTW, I've never had a policy where the full list of exclusions and
conditions are not fully listed on the policy itself.
They are in the handbook of business terms which insurers provide.

Please note that I agree your original point not to rely on a dog for
security is valid, I was merely surprised enough by the doors comment to
go and check my policy

The OP left the door wide open all night (for the dogs access)

Janet

Neither haliax nor CIS have a clause in their Domestic contents policy
that insist on "Forced entry" before paying up and it was the full policy
documents I was reading.
The web link you provided was pointing out to customers that there "may"
be such an exclusion and it remains "my opinion" that any policy
containing such a clause would not be worth having
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

But it does not apply if your shed door/window was not open, surely?
If your shed is broken into it's nothing to do with open back doors. I have
a notice on my back gate "dogs running free inside - do not enter"
It would be a foolish burglar that tried to break into my shed or try and
take my rare breed poultry. Or indeed try and enter my house through the
open back door..

Tina

Old 06-12-2009, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these
words:

Neither haliax nor CIS have a clause in their Domestic contents
policy that insist on "Forced entry" before paying up and it was the
full policy documents I was reading.

CIS

http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co...._HS101_WEB.pdf

Page 12, Contents Cover, Personal Money (includes cards), what is
NOT INSURED (right hand column)

section E,

(g) Loss caused by theft unless such loss involves entry to or exit
from the Home by violent and forcible means.

And at the end of the policy, are the conditions;

Conditions
1. Observance of Terms: Anyone claiming under this Policy must comply
with its terms as far as they can apply.
2. Precautions: You must take all reasonable precautions to reduce or
remove the risk of a claim arising.

/\/\//\/\//\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\///\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

any insurer, will claim that "reasonable precautions" are laid out in
the "Insurance Industry Guide" advice provided by them to the policy
applicant., below

http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co....me?WT.svl=copy

quote
"What security devices are needed?

If your insurer has required you to introduce minimum security
standards as a condition of them insuring you, they may not provide
any cover for theft or attempted theft and/or vandalism at your home,
unless the appropriate security devices are properly fitted and used."

I consider two large dogs running free in the grounds and house 24/7 are
appropriate security devices ;-)

I've had my back door open like this for 25 years and no-one has ever dared
step inside my back gate.
I had a builder here a while ago and there was a large marrow bone in the
garden. He said "Was that your last milkman?"

Tina

Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Christina Websell
writes
But it does not apply if your shed door/window was not open, surely?
If your shed is broken into it's nothing to do with open back doors. I have
a notice on my back gate "dogs running free inside - do not enter"
It would be a foolish burglar that tried to break into my shed or try and
take my rare breed poultry. Or indeed try and enter my house through the
open back door..

Tina

Hmm what about the burglar who sued the householder after he climbed
over a wall and got bitten in the back garden of the house? He said he
was merely 'looking for his cat'

Isn't it a bit like saying
Beware house owner might do serious harm to burglars entering premises
for unlawful reasons?

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
writes
But it does not apply if your shed door/window was not open, surely?
If your shed is broken into it's nothing to do with open back doors. I
have
a notice on my back gate "dogs running free inside - do not enter"
It would be a foolish burglar that tried to break into my shed or try and
take my rare breed poultry. Or indeed try and enter my house through the
open back door..

Tina

Hmm what about the burglar who sued the householder after he climbed over
a wall and got bitten in the back garden of the house? He said he was
merely 'looking for his cat'

Isn't it a bit like saying
Beware house owner might do serious harm to burglars entering premises for
unlawful reasons?

I can only say it works for me. 20+ years of door open with big dogs with
ears open.
No burglars ever, no trespassers in garden.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

I can only say it works for me. 20+ years of door open with big dogs with
ears open.
No burglars ever, no trespassers in garden.

No dog-whispering burglars in your area?
No poisoned steak thrown into the garden?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Secure Investing! Lillie_Steins Gardening 0 10-08-2006 12:21 PM
OT Old Bob held in secure, undisclosed location Ka30P Ponds 0 10-01-2005 09:45 PM
OT Old Bob held in secure, undisclosed location Ka30P Ponds 0 10-01-2005 09:45 PM
How secure are uniseals? FBCS Ponds 5 03-09-2003 03:12 AM
how to secure timbers for playground Carlton Clay Lawns 1 12-04-2003 06:56 AM