Old 05-12-2009, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Novel way of ripening green tomatoes

I took the kitchen waste to the green - Darlek type - compost bin on the
allotment this morning, tipped it in and stirred it around. Then I
spotted some red tomatoes. They looked healthy, not rotten or broken.
Fished on out. Perfectly ripe, ready to eat. Then it dawned on me. My
partner had got rid of all the green tomatoes from the greenhouse at the
end of October.
So now we can enjoy the last of the tomatoes, about half a kilo.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old 05-12-2009, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 5, 3:17*pm, Paul wrote:
I took the kitchen waste to the green - Darlek type - compost bin on the
allotment this morning, tipped it in and stirred it around. Then I
spotted some red tomatoes. They looked healthy, not rotten or broken.
Fished on out. Perfectly ripe, ready to eat. Then it dawned on me. My
partner had got rid of all the green tomatoes from the greenhouse at the
end of October.
So now we can enjoy the last of the tomatoes, about half a kilo.
Paul.
--
Paul * * * reply-to is valid

And sometimes,it's the easiest way to get an avocado 'seed' to
germinate.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul" wrote in message
I took the kitchen waste to the green - Darlek type - compost bin on the
allotment this morning, tipped it in and stirred it around. Then I spotted
some red tomatoes. They looked healthy, not rotten or broken. Fished on
out. Perfectly ripe, ready to eat. Then it dawned on me. My partner had got
rid of all the green tomatoes from the greenhouse at the end of October.
So now we can enjoy the last of the tomatoes, about half a kilo.

I put the last of our toms, all green, in a deep bowl on top of a kitchen
cupboard when I wanted to clear the plants from the greenhouse. They all
ripened in their own good time, and now the last are fully ripe. They're
juicy and tasty, but the skins are tougher than the earlier ones.

Steve

Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul" wrote in message
I took the kitchen waste to the green - Darlek type - compost bin on the
allotment this morning, tipped it in and stirred it around. Then I spotted
some red tomatoes. They looked healthy, not rotten or broken. Fished on
out. Perfectly ripe, ready to eat. Then it dawned on me. My partner had got
rid of all the green tomatoes from the greenhouse at the end of October.
So now we can enjoy the last of the tomatoes, about half a kilo.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid

I put mine with the bananas, apparently bananas give off some sort of gas
which ripens tomatoes.

Alan

Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Highlands of Scotland

Thought I'd post this about tomato ripening. Just in case anyone was unsure.

'There are many common ways to ripen your tomatoes, including using jars, plastic bags, cardboard boxes, kitchen drawers and paper bags, or directly on the vine.
The reason for most of these methods is that tomatoes naturally give off ethylene gas, which stimulates the ripening process. If you keep the tomatoes in an enclosed space this keeps the ethylene gas from escaping and encourages the tomato to ripen faster.

Another commonly used way to get them to ripen even faster is to use any method (bags, boxes, drawers etc) which keeps them enclosed and put a ripening banana in with them.
Bananas naturally give off lots more ethylene gas as they ripen, which will stimulate your tomatoes even more.'

Just in case you have a few greeny's left over you can always pickle them. These are great with cheese
I'll post a recipe soon.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
I took the kitchen waste to the green - Darlek type - compost bin on the
allotment this morning, tipped it in and stirred it around. Then I spotted
some red tomatoes. They looked healthy, not rotten or broken. Fished on
out. Perfectly ripe, ready to eat. Then it dawned on me. My partner had
got rid of all the green tomatoes from the greenhouse at the end of
October.
So now we can enjoy the last of the tomatoes, about half a kilo.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid

I put mine with the bananas, apparently bananas give off some sort of gas
which ripens tomatoes.

Bananas produce ethylene:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene

If you scroll down to 'plant responses', you will see that ethylene does a
lot different things with plants.

mark