Old 29-04-2003, 05:44 PM

Default Sheep again

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 01:53:02 +0100, Derek Moody
wrote:

I wonder if the zoo poo method would work. Big cat dung is reported to
be effective at discouraging deer but they are intellectual giants compared
to most sheep.

Cheerio,

Err

How about WOLF dung :-)

Paul

Old 30-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

It was a dark and stormy night, and as the people of uk.rec.gardening
huddled around the fire, Dave Liquorice told them this story:

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:06:20 +0100, X wrote:

Are there any other suggestions out there on how a gardener may keep
his plants safe from sheep ?.

Put up a fence? 4' high should do, make sure they can't push it over.

They can also learn to open gates. Make sure your gate is
on a bolt rather than a latch.

My mother was brought up in Ebbw Vale. She tells a story of
a ram that got into everyone's gardens by squeezing its head
through the gate bars and butting up on the latch. So an
enterprising neighbour fastened an iron bar across the gate
just below the latch. The ram knocked itself out.

Rhiannon

Old 30-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Malcolm

again, which plants do they dislike (or like)

mint, they have a strong aversion to mint

This _was_ tongue in cheek, wasn't it. I have clear memories of a
'pet' blackface lamb ploughing through the mint in our garden. We
thought it was destiny...

how high can they jump

any other suggestions, barbed wire fences, machine guns ?

netting is normally adequate, probably topped with a row of barbed wire

I have two cheviots who can jump a five-bar field gate. Not clear, but
they've perfected a method of jumping far enough, so that the back end
slides over.

Malcolm Poole
Old 30-04-2003, 01:56 PM
ben

Essjay001 wrote:
X wrote:

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:14:06 +0100, "Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO
REPLY.co.uk wrote:

How about a moat ?.

thats a good idea

Not sure a moat would be such a good idea. Before my mum got her fence
fixed, she had a problem with sheep falling into her garden pond. They
couldn't get out by themselves and were very heavy to drag out.

Old 30-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Peter Duncanson

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:08:06 +0100, David P wrote:

In article , swroot@farm-
direct.co.uk says...
X wrote:

I notice there was not much response to the thread:

"Bloomin sheep eating my blooms"

There is nothing in the FAQ on sheep, plenty on Cats, but Cats don't
eat your garden up. Are there any other suggestions out there on how a
gardener may keep his plants safe from sheep ?.

Hide behind your shrubs - then jump out and shout 'BOOO!' - they will
promptly keel over and die. Sheep are *always* looking for new and
interesting ways to die.

The day after you typed that a sheep failed to kill itself and made the
front pages of two newspapers.

The incident occurred on the north coast of Ireland, near Ballycastle, Co
Antrim.

The headline in the Belfast Telegraph (Northern Ireland's evening paper) on
Tuesday was:
"EASTER LAMB RESCUED FROM RISKY GAMBOL"

and today The News Letter (morning daily) had:
"LAMB IN A STEW".

The three-week-old lamb had gone over the edge of a coastal cliff and fallen
on to an area below high water mark. The cliff was not vertical but very
steep. The farmer could not get down to the animal.

It was rescued by a Coast Guard team using climbing equipment to abseil down
the cliff.

The drop was 120 feet, bounce ... bounce ... bounce ... the lamb was
uninjured.

--
Peter Duncanson
UK
Old 01-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Jim Webster

"Malcolm" wrote in message
m...
again, which plants do they dislike (or like)

mint, they have a strong aversion to mint

This _was_ tongue in cheek, wasn't it. I have clear memories of a
'pet' blackface lamb ploughing through the mint in our garden. We
thought it was destiny...

yes, I confess it was

Jim Webster