Old 28-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Howard Neil

Default Sheep again

There is nothing in the FAQ on sheep, plenty on Cats, but Cats don't
eat your garden up. Are there any other suggestions out there on how a
gardener may keep his plants safe from sheep ?.

First of all, where are they coming from.? If their owner is not preventing
them from escaping, he/she might like to ment their fences.

If you happen to live on or adjacent to common land and have to live with
the sheep, the only sensible way of constraining them is with stock fencing.
If you want to know more about such fencing, try
http://www.bekaert.com/twil/agricult...lock_broch.htm and ask
for the free brochure. It tells you all you will need to know (and a lot
more). If you do not like the look of such a fence, you could always hide it
with a hedge.

again, which plants do they dislike (or like)

They prefer grass but will try most plants once.

how high can they jump

This depends on the breed. Some of the mountain breeds are quite athletic
while lowland breeds prefer to eat their way through obstructions such as
hedges.

any other suggestions, barbed wire fences, machine guns ?

Stop growing flowers, keep to grass and enjoy the company of the sheep. They
will keep your grass nice and short and you will not need any artificial
fertilisers. :-)

Howard Neil

Old 28-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Rick McGreal

"William Tasso" wrote in news:b8ja19$an5us$1@ID-
139074.news.dfncis.de:

any other suggestions, barbed wire fences, machine guns ?

You need a haha (sp?)

I thought they were hoho's
A ditch dug about 2 feet down with yours eide being significantly higher
than the opposite one....

SO give=ing you a view without the need for a fence that may obstruct said
view.....

On further thought, perhaps mint sauce may be a better plan ;o)

B-D

Old 28-04-2003, 02:56 PM

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:14:06 +0100, "Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO
REPLY.co.uk wrote:

If you happen to live on or adjacent to common land and have to live with
the sheep, the only sensible way of constraining them is with stock fencing.
If you want to know more about such fencing, try
http://www.bekaert.com/twil/agricult...lock_broch.htm and ask
for the free brochure. It tells you all you will need to know (and a lot
more). If you do not like the look of such a fence, you could always hide it

Howard Neil

Thanks all for your comments.

I am shortly to aquire a garden on a new property which is one of five
carved out of a field populated by sheep.

My rear boundary is a wire fence ( a slightly lower than the suggested
4 feet) 29 Metres in length along which I hoped to grow evergreen
shurbs growing to a hight of no more than 4 feet so as to keep the
countryside view. However the front of the property is open plan.

How about a moat ?.

A neighbour who has lived on the site for a few months tells me the
sheep are a problem, I noticed her husband has built a five foot
timber fence around his new vegetable plot, but I don't have that
option.

Thanks

Paul

Old 28-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Drakanthus

how high can they jump

They can scramble very well but jump, not unless they *really* have
to.

Quite high if they are "woolly jumpers"!

Old 28-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Jim Webster

"swroot" wrote in message
X wrote:

I notice there was not much response to the thread:

"Bloomin sheep eating my blooms"

There is nothing in the FAQ on sheep, plenty on Cats, but Cats don't
eat your garden up. Are there any other suggestions out there on how a
gardener may keep his plants safe from sheep ?.

again, which plants do they dislike (or like)

mint, they have a strong aversion to mint

how high can they jump

any other suggestions, barbed wire fences, machine guns ?

netting is normally adequate, probably topped with a row of barbed wire

Jim Webster

I've cross-posted this to uk.business.agriculture in hope of helpful
advice and humour :-)

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley

Old 28-04-2003, 06:56 PM
swroot

Jim Webster wrote:

"swroot" wrote in message
X wrote:

I notice there was not much response to the thread:

"Bloomin sheep eating my blooms"

There is nothing in the FAQ on sheep, plenty on Cats, but Cats don't
eat your garden up. Are there any other suggestions out there on how a
gardener may keep his plants safe from sheep ?.

again, which plants do they dislike (or like)

mint, they have a strong aversion to mint

That only applies to British lambs, surely? I suspect the sheep are
terrifed of capers.

how high can they jump

any other suggestions, barbed wire fences, machine guns ?

netting is normally adequate, probably topped with a row of barbed wire

even for herdwicks?

regards
sarah

Old 28-04-2003, 08:20 PM
David P

In article , swroot@farm-
direct.co.uk says...
X wrote:

I notice there was not much response to the thread:

"Bloomin sheep eating my blooms"

There is nothing in the FAQ on sheep, plenty on Cats, but Cats don't
eat your garden up. Are there any other suggestions out there on how a
gardener may keep his plants safe from sheep ?.

Hide behind your shrubs - then jump out and shout 'BOOO!' - they will
promptly keel over and die. Sheep are *always* looking for new and
interesting ways to die.

On a more serious note what are you fenced off with? Post, netting and a
couple of strands of barb should keep them out.
--
David
Visit http://www.farm-direct.co.uk for your local farmgate food supplies.
Old 28-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Michelle Fulton

"David P" wrote in message

Hide behind your shrubs - then jump out and shout 'BOOO!' - they will
promptly keel over and die. Sheep are *always* looking for new and
interesting ways to die.

ROTFL :-)) Good thing I didn't just take a drink of something before
reading this!

Old 28-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Jim Webster

"swroot" wrote in message

how high can they jump

any other suggestions, barbed wire fences, machine guns ?

netting is normally adequate, probably topped with a row of barbed wire

even for herdwicks?

if they are bothered with herdwicks then all bets are off. I honestly didn't
consider them, I assumed that they would be mentioned by name rather than a
generalised sheep.
With herdwicks they tend to wiggle rather than jump much, but jumping is
possible.

Jim Webster

regards
sarah

Old 29-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:01:24 +0000 (UTC), Essjay001 wrote:

How about a moat ?.

thats a good idea if nothing else the sheep will shrink to a more
managable size.

They don't shrink round here in the rain. I guess you'd have to make
it a wide moat so that have to swim and also heat it to 40C or so.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 29-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Derek Moody

In article , swroot
wrote:
Jim Webster wrote:

"swroot" wrote in message
X wrote:

how high can they jump

Clean over a car bonnet - not sure of the breed, in Kerry.

any other suggestions, barbed wire fences, machine guns ?

netting is normally adequate, probably topped with a row of barbed wire

even for herdwicks?

They'll probably eat the wire :-(

I wonder if the zoo poo method would work. Big cat dung is reported to
be effective at discouraging deer but they are intellectual giants compared
to most sheep.

Cheerio,

--

http://www.farm-direct.co.uk/

Old 29-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Drakanthus

I wonder if the zoo poo method would work. Big cat dung is reported to
be effective at discouraging deer but they are intellectual giants compared
to most sheep.

Sheep would probably just consider this a savoury appetiser en-route to the
garden.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)